Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Being able to move and cast Incinerate on my Warlock is the best. I'm annoyed that I'm going to lose it because I actually am just ADD and like to run around while I play. Usually I play melee so that I can run and jump around and not have it affect anything, but the movement-capable Lock allowed me to try out ranged. I'm leaning toward maybe playing a Hunter in WoD so that I can still have the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    This. So much this. Casters could be required to stand on one foot singing arias from Madame Butterfly, while being forcibly sodomized with a cactus and melee would still hear how they are less desirable as DPS.
    yeah bro it's a rough life using a cooldown and ignoring every mechanic while the "OP ranged" are jumping through hoops dancing in circles while you stand in one place doing max damage. Get real.

Didnt the abilities/spells for casters to cast and move at times only come in MoP? Or was it Cata??
    Either way, people managed from Vanilla up to (at least) Cata... I'm sure we'll manage again

10+ Year Old Account
    It is intentional. Melee might actually be picked to raids again.

Now hunters...

this is a good change - finally teams will need to be balanced around if they want to push more dps (bring in extra 2-3 melee) or to make tactics easier on ranged (if the ranged they already have are to retarded to handle them and they need 2-3 extra to push tactics ) - if u want to have easier life your dps will suffer and therefore fight which will last longer may kill u cause eventually u will screw up tactics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    Have you actually done any of the raid or even 5 man testing on beta or are you just rehashing Blizzard's line on this? They certainly haven't toned down the mobility requirements whatsoever. If anything, there is significantly MORE movement required in raid encounters than there was in ToT/SOO and far more movement required in 5 mans.
    I have tested some of the encounters myself with a good portion of observing my other guildies as well. But I think you misunderstood what I was trying to convey.

When I said: "Mobility had to be toned down but raid encounters are evolving while ranged dps and mobility is devolving"

I was saying that mobility in the direction it was in MoP was a good direction given how mobile the boss fights were designed. Boss fights were balanced around the fact that we had more movement. In return, classes were changed and adjusted accordingly (locks had KJC, mages had ice flows, and boomkins, ele, and spriests had instant proc'd nukes via dots.)

However, the fights are just as mobile as before, hell even more movement-heavy while ranged and casting on the move has been heavily nerfed. In a perfect world, ranged would have casting on the move within reason if the encounters are designed to. In my opinion, Blizzard should have stepped back and toned back movement requirements in raids when they nerfed ranged mobility. But Blizzard kept on going "YEAH BRO! IRON TRAINS AND FUCKIN' GIANT SQUASHING PLATFORMS! IT'S SO FUCKING COOL!" without thinking how it would work out with healers and ranged being stationary more often.

So no, I am not rehashing Blizzard's rhetoric about movement and mobility. I was looking forward to having fun encounters without having to jump through so many hoops like in MoP. When I actually did the Arrakoa dungeon and a few of the raid bosses (train boss and the orc twins boss come to mind), I was reassured that Blizzard said one thing and did another........again.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Many casters, or caster specs, are losing the ability to cast and move and it got me wondering if this is a major disability in both PvE and PvP?

In movement heavy fights in PvE and challenge mode dungeons it seems like a major disadvantage and melee will train caster in PvP because they are forced to "turret".

I was looking forward to play a caster in WoD, but it seems I would be better off playing a melee, or a hunter if I really want a ranged dps.

How bad will it turn out in your opinion!?
    Perhaps. But we don't know just how movement heavy fights are going to be in PvE. Dungeons don't really count as they're dungeons and will get incredibly easy as time goes on. And the majority don't do challenge mode. Raiding wise, we have no idea what they're doing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagecamia View Post
    I have tested some of the encounters myself with a good portion of observing my other guildies as well. But I think you misunderstood what I was trying to convey.

When I said: "Mobility had to be toned down but raid encounters are evolving while ranged dps and mobility is devolving"

I was saying that mobility in the direction it was in MoP was a good direction given how mobile the boss fights were designed. Boss fights were balanced around the fact that we had more movement. In return, classes were changed and adjusted accordingly (locks had KJC, mages had ice flows, and boomkins, ele, and spriests had instant proc'd nukes via dots.)

However, the fights are just as mobile as before, hell even more movement-heavy while ranged and casting on the move has been heavily nerfed. In a perfect world, ranged would have casting on the move within reason if the encounters are designed to. In my opinion, Blizzard should have stepped back and toned back movement requirements in raids when they nerfed ranged mobility. But Blizzard kept on going "YEAH BRO! IRON TRAINS AND FUCKIN' GIANT SQUASHING PLATFORMS! IT'S SO FUCKING COOL!" without thinking how it would work out with healers and ranged being stationary more often.

So no, I am not rehashing Blizzard's rhetoric about movement and mobility. I was looking forward to having fun encounters without having to jump through so many hoops like in MoP. When I actually did the Arrakoa dungeon and a few of the raid bosses (train boss and the orc twins boss come to mind), I was reassured that Blizzard said one thing and did another........again.
    no fight has constant movement tho. It's simply tuning ranged cast-time nukes high enough to compensate for the time spent moving. Hopefully they get it right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    Raiding wise, we have no idea what they're doing yet.
    Yeah they've *only* tested most of the mythic bosses. We have no clue.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Box View Post
    It will take some time getting used to it, but casters will manage.
    We did it in classic, we can do it again.

Lack of mobility isn't necessarily terrible, but it has to be fun, tactical, and the whole game has to be carefully designed around it, a la Castlevania. Unfortunately this isn't really the case in WoD. Most movement mechanics for casters involve swapping over to an incredibly limited "rotation" that's just flat out boring to play with. Movement feels like a clunky chore rather than a stimulating challenge.

The big issue with WoW fights is that mobility has never been especially "challenging" to execute outside of the top 1% of progression raiders who need to squeeze out maximum uptime on the boss to beat enrage timers ahead of the curve, since it always has to be designed around half the raid being super immobile. This will be even more true in WoD.

At this point I just wish they'd throw away the clunky old mobility mechanics they have now and open everything up so that we can have more fights like this, that are actually about adapting and responding to ever-changing movement demands on the fly, rather than running through formulaic, slow-paced patterns over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    This. So much this. Casters could be required to stand on one foot singing arias from Madame Butterfly, while being forcibly sodomized with a cactus and melee would still hear how they are less desirable as DPS.
    Where does that put enhancement? The casting melee...
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

This is not new. This is how things were in WotLK and before. Good players will adapt again. Bad players will cry.

Deleted
    If you had played a melee for this expansion you would have another look at these changes. For raiding you can plan your movement according to how the fight will turn out. Challenge mode groups rarely ever want a melee in their group. Why take someone who has to be in danger and does lower DPS than a hunter or warlock who can do almost thier full rotation on the move and dont have to worry about melee stuff. I havent played PvP seriously since WotLK so I cant reallyl comment on that but back then casters had more than enough tools to root/snare/stun/knockback melee.

There's only one way to find out if they went over the top and thats by playing the game. We wont know untill WoD has been released for a few weeks.

Made us into turrets again. Slowing down the gameplay makes it fucking boring compared to live.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandal View Post
    lmfao. Looks over at 1minute CoS, feint, 2x evasion, cheat death, and burst of speed all on one class LOL! broken...
    And? Rogues have generally always been good for soaking raid mechanics due to their short term survival cds which, in turn, means they don't get to tunnel the boss as much as other damage dealers. Using a MoP example: Phase 1 Engineers on Garrosh are best dealt with a Rogue (Shadowstep > BoS) or Hunter due to their speed and minimal loss of damage in transit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Many casters, or caster specs, are losing the ability to cast and move and it got me wondering if this is a major disability in both PvE and PvP?

In movement heavy fights in PvE and challenge mode dungeons it seems like a major disadvantage and melee will train caster in PvP because they are forced to "turret".

I was looking forward to play a caster in WoD, but it seems I would be better off playing a melee, or a hunter if I really want a ranged dps.

How bad will it turn out in your opinion!?
    Stop it. Casters ruled before being able to move and cast, and they'll rule after we were able to move and cast. Play what you want. People are massively exaggeratinng moving and casting. Let's talk about pvp. Let's let casters move and cast. And then let's put a 40 yard range on all melee abilities. How does that sound?
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Are melee crippled because they can't DPS from 40 yards out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    Made us into turrets again. Slowing down the gameplay makes it fucking boring compared to live.
    Oh no "Turret" the word of the month. Go play melee then. It isn't slowing down the gameplay. It's balancing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Are melee crippled because they can't DPS from 40 yards out?
    No more than casters not being able to cast and move.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

So it's basically going back to wotlk, bc and vanilla for casters, I like the idea a lot specially in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    No more than casters not being able to cast and move.
    AS I said before, if you can somehow validate casters loosing movement dps abilities as a plus, why in the gods name wouldnt melees get equal treatment with reducing/nerfing gapclosers? (caster mobility was the pvp reason why they got so many of them in the first place...) Melees on raidbosses already can ignore half the abilities since they target ranged only and bosses literally require some PBAoE so melees actually have to watch out for something and not die of boredom... If casters are required to micromanage movement to optimise dps, melees should too. Also lets go back to proper hitboxes, not these new "lol can hit him halfway across the room" hitboxes, TYVM.