Thread: Working and me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by batok View Post
    So I recently turned 18 and I am and have been struggling to get a job anywhere, I have no license yet (I am working on it). Where do you guys think I should try to work? I have a GED but no resume or references outside of family, and no experience anywhere. I have applied all over my area with no calls or emails or anything. I am curious to see what you guys have to say.
    In your position, I would actually recommend you look into some skills/vocational training, then use that to try to find a job.

You mention a GED, no resume, or references. Means you are a blank slate to any employer. This is going to sound really bad but to most employers you are as interesting as a blank sheet of paper.

You need to get some training, some skill set, to be marketable now (I'm assuming you live in the United States), and you need to know how to market yourself to your possible employers.

You are in the position that any potential employers consider you a name on a list of maybe 15-20 people, for one position. You have no references, no supporting information on a resume, and a GED. The GED tells them that you wanted to get your basic education certificate, and that's it. You need to expand on that narrative, if you want make yourself notable enough to be considered for anything.

At the very least go to your local unemployment office, and ask them if they have any job seekers training. I know my local office provides this to any job seekers, and it will teach you how to market yourself as valuable to employers. Beyond that, get some skills training, of your choice. It might be in some skill that you already know and use, but having the certificate to prove it will be useful to help you build a resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltah View Post
    The jobs will suck, but with the holidays coming up there will be plenty of retail shops looking for people. I've known a few people who were brought on full-time after the holidays.
    At the very least it's a good way to get a little money and a little blip on your resume.
    Yeah I think that I'll have better luck during the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    How do you look when you go fill out an application?. First impressions count more than almost anything else when looking for a first job especially.
    No where around me does in store applications anymore, its all online

Between labour day and US thanksgiving the economy is pretty stale. Most of the mythological jobs that open up when students return to school actually just disappear all together. November is the best time to get a job, because the economy starts picking back up for Christmas, but winter break is still a month away.

And I got my first job from an in-person application from somewhere that wasn't even advertising hiring. That was many years ago, but not before the invention of the internet.

In a lot of jobs the hiring is handled by middle management and middle managers are too lazy to organize resumes/applications and don't bother stacking them in FIFO (first in first out) order so applying for jobs that aren't currently hiring is a good idea, because then your resume might by chance end up at the top of the stack when somebody randomly quits, leaving a job open.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    November is the best time to get a job, because the economy starts picking back up for Christmas, but winter break is still a month away.

And I got my first job from
    A lot of those jobs are seasonal, though. Retail and such.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    A lot of those jobs are seasonal, though. Retail and such.
    It's still something to drop on a resume. You got to start somewhere right?

Plus when it comes to reasons for leaving job:

-I was fired
    -I quit
    -Completed terms of employment.

Which one sounds the best? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It's still something to drop on a resume. You got to start somewhere right?

Plus when it comes to reasons for leaving job:

-I was fired
    -I quit
    -Completed terms of employment.

Which one sounds the best? lol
    Oh, I wasn't knocking seasonal work. It's great for people just getting started out, and for people who want an few extra $$ from a part-time for the holiday season.

Reasons for leaving job... I've seen things like, "Boss was an asshole." Or, "Asked me to stay late to sweep floor." Just two off the top of my head. Some people should spend 30 minutes looking at any of the numerous advice sites and blogs about applying for a job.

Apply EVERYWHERE. Even if you don't THINK you're qualified 100%, apply.

My last few months of college, I sent out probably between 50-80 job applications and guess how many called me back?

You need to really cast your net far and wide; don't limit yourself.

Signature by Shyama!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    So you have a resume, right? When they tell you to apply online (you still go in person, dressed nicely, right?) ask if it's OK to leave a paper-copy of your resume with their hiring manager. At worst, they won't accept one, and it's no different from applying online like you already have been, and at best, you'll see a hiring manager in person, hand them a nicely-formatted resume, and look great when your online one comes into their hands. They'll remember your name. Technically, at best, you could get hired on the spot. Nothing quite like showing initiative that others won't show.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Technically, at best, you could get hired on the spot. Nothing quite like showing initiative that others won't show.
    Depends on the kind of job and who the hiring manager is. At my workplace, that would be me. And I may have more than once had an employee saying someone wanted to talk to me, said something like, "Who the fuck is important enough to bother me during lunch rush?" Then promptly tossed that resume in the trash.

I guess, just be considerate of when that kind of business is busy if you're demanding immediate attention by showing up in person. Although, I have hired people on the spot. Conversations generally went something like, Me: "I'm busy, what?" Them: "...looking for a job." Me: "will you wash dishes?" Them: "Sure." Me: "ok, got ID?" Them: "Yup." Me: "k, kitchen is over there, go."

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the kind of job and who the hiring manager is. At my workplace, that would be me. And I may have more than once had an employee saying someone wanted to talk to me, said something like, "Who the fuck is important enough to bother me during lunch rush?" Then promptly tossed that resume in the trash.

I guess, just be considerate of when that kind of business is busy if you're demanding immediate attention by showing up in person. Although, I have hired people on the spot. Conversations generally went something like, Me: "I'm busy, what?" Them: "...looking for a job." Me: "will you wash dishes?" Them: "Sure." Me: "ok, got ID?" Them: "Yup." Me: "k, kitchen is over there, go."
    Boom, job. Haha!

Though, I'd toss your example in to the "worst case" scenario. Can't imagine it's legal to throw a resume away. That whole "retention of legal documents" issue. Depends on which country you're in, I guess.

That whole "retention of legal documents" issue. Depends on which country you're in, I guess.
    I'm not sure an application or a resume is a "legal document." Upon review of employment law, I should just hand the resume back or return it by mail (if sent unsolicited). Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by batok View Post
    Yeah, I never thought McDonalds of all places would ignore me, I just gotta keep trying like many have said.

This is a byproduct of the recession. Places that have historically been "young entry-level" jobs are now employing an older crowd with more work experience. These older

The classic image of the high-school student flipping Big Macs after class is sorely out of date. Because of lingering unemployment and a relative abundance of fast-food jobs, older workers are increasingly entering the industry. These days, according to the National Employment Law Project, the average age of fast-food workers is 29. Forty percent are 25 or older; 31 percent have at least attempted college; more than 26 percent are parents raising children. Union organizers say that one-third to one-half of them have more than one job — like Mr. Shoy, who is 58 and supports a wife and children. (Source:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/ny...pagewanted=all
    Join the military, see the world. When you come back the VA will basically pay you to attend school.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpcGuts View Post
    When If you come back the VA will basically pay you to attend school.
    Never forget why the military hires people.

Never forget why the military hires people.
    Statistically, you will come back.

I do not have a resume, I have no idea how to make one with no experience or anything. Seasonal seems like the best place to start though.

Yeah, a place tried to hire me on the spot once.. But it was an industrial setting that involved operating heavy machinery without any real training, and I had pulled an all nighter because I was having trouble sleeping and didn't want to sleep in through the interview.

Didn't stay there very long though. It involved commercial brake shoe re-lining, and the guy that did the job before I came along left "due to health reasons". And it took me about a week for my naive young mind to put two and two together on that one.

The best time to get a retail job is after Thanksgiving.

Lots of people quit after Thanksgiving due to overwork.
    Lots of people are fired because drink/talk too much in the Christmas party.