Is this a good laptop for the $?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IEV85OU/...cm_cr_dpwidget

Just wondering if it's worth it.

I have no problem spending that amount I just really don't know much about laptops specifically...

It's not terrible, but not great for the price. I'd have a look at Sager and squeeze an 880m into one of their builds.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I have the g750jm, which is similar except I have the 860m, 8gb ram, and mine came with a 5400 rpm hard drive. I dropped in a 250gb samsung ssd and my price was about 200 under that price. I also have the i7-4710, which i think is a new model or a bestbuy exclusive. It only boosts speed up to 2.5/3.5. so not a huge gain.

It seems pretty solid, there is a known issue with nvidia drivers causing a blue screen crash, you have to roll back to a previous driver, its on the ROG website.

In WOW i get 60 fps everywhere, vsync on, ive seen a couple dips in lfr but nothing less than 40fps.
    Last edited by Lightwysh; 2014-09-03 at 12:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    It's not terrible, but not great for the price. I'd have a look at Sager and squeeze an 880m into one of their builds.
    Building out the specs of that Asus using my Sager NP8278-S as a base comes out $75 cheaper ($1674), but the Sager has a better CPU (4810MQ vs. 4700HQ). It's basically my laptop, only with one hard drive rather than the pair I went with.

As for your 880m suggestion, it's doable to get it at that price(end price $1759) with the model I mentioned if you cut the SSD back to 120GB, go with either the 7200rpm 750GB or 5400rpm 1TB mechanical drive, and only take with 8GB of RAM.

Something to mention, the Sager also gives you two 2.5" hard drive bays, plus a dedicated mSATA bay, so you can have 2 mechanical drives, in addition to the SSD, whereas the Asus uses one of the 2.5" bays as a mSATA bay, meaning you only get the one mechanical drive.

Though you might consider waiting a few months. The next generation of Nvidia's mobile graphics is coming out in a month or two.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-09-03 at 06:27 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Building out the specs of that Asus using my Sager NP8278-S as a base comes out $75 cheaper ($1674), but the Sager has a better CPU (4810MQ vs. 4700HQ). It's basically my laptop, only with one hard drive rather than the pair I went with.

As for your 880m suggestion, it's doable to get it at that price(end price $1759) with the model I mentioned if you cut the SSD back to 120GB, go with either the 7200rpm 750GB or 5400rpm 1TB mechanical drive, and only take with 8GB of RAM.

Something to mention, the Sager also gives you two 2.5" hard drive bays, plus a dedicated mSATA bay, so you can have 2 mechanical drives, in addition to the SSD, whereas the Asus uses one of the 2.5" bays as a mSATA bay, meaning you only get the one mechanical drive.

Though you might consider waiting a few months. The next generation of Nvidia's mobile graphics is coming out in a month or two.
    Um, I may not be knowing the proper terms, but the g750 has 2 bays, you can put anything you want in them... I had 1 5400rpm and i put in a ssd, moved the rpm to the 2nd bay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Um, I may not be knowing the proper terms, but the g750 has 2 bays, you can put anything you want in them... I had 1 5400rpm and i put in a ssd, moved the rpm to the 2nd bay.
    Yes, but with the config they linked, one of the drive bays is converted into a mSATA bay. It allows you you to use 2 mSATA SSDs, but only leaves one bay for a mechanical drive.

But Sagers have dedicated mSATA bays, so with the model I showed, you can have a pair of mSATA SSDs and a pair of mechanical drives.

In my experience, 1TB just isn't enough for your primary computer. I filled one of my 1TB drives before I finished redownloading my steam library. And while 2TB 2.5" drives do exist (You can get the Asus with one), only Samsung and Toshiba make them currently and they're only available as 5400rpm.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-09-04 at 05:45 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I just bought that exact laptop, although I bought it from newegg, where it is $50 cheaper than amazon - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-631-_-Product. Newegg just dropped their price a week ago from $1749 to $1699.

I'm happy with it so far! It runs WoW on full ultra settings without any problems. Startup times and loading screens are non-existent thanks to the SSD.

The only item I'd note is that it is really heavy. For me it's essentially going to be sitting in one place most of the time (I bought a laptop vs. a desktop because I'm moving to Europe for a year and bringing a laptop overseas is much easier than bringing my desktop overseas), but if you'll be traveling a lot with it you may want to consider other options.

Edit: if you have any questions about the laptop, let me know