Heroic dungeons in WOD

So with us being able to queue for heroic dungeons now, a friend and I queued up for them and quite honestly we were both very disappointed. To be fair, we've only done two so far but still. The ones we did were grimrail and slag mines. I was the tank, he was a healer, with pug dps. I had 0 idea what I was doing and and messed up quite a lot of trash packs and we still got through it very easily. How was everyone else's experience with them? Maybe there are some that are difficult? Cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't you given gear that's higher than you'll get in the heroic dungeons? They just want to test mechanics, they already have an idea on the difficulty.
    Aparently some are overtuned, and some are undertuned. But I don't have a clue.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Slightly off-topic but if someone who knows about it could explain: if there is no more VP what reason is there to run dungeons after the first couple of weeks when the loot drops don't matter anymore? Will heroic dungeons 3 months in be ran only by alts and newbies? Because that would be quite a change o.O

Or is there some other reward that would make people want to run them?
    Last edited by Summer; 2014-09-04 at 05:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think these are just normals, honestly. The difficulty is the exact same and it even drops 615 loot which is NORMAL loot. It is either a bug or this is their approach for tuning: buff them until people start to cry

Originally normals were obscenely overtuned, but they nerfed damage by 60-70% almost everywhere and they became faceroll, mostly. That obscene version (or a bit easier one) should have been the heroic one I think.

Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Slightly off-topic but if someone who knows about it could explain: if there is no more VP what reason is there to run dungeons after the first couple of weeks when the loot drops don't matter anymore? Will heroic dungeons 3 months in be ran only by alts and newbies? Because that would be quite a change o.O

Or is there some other reward that would make people want to run them?
    I think they're only removing JP/VP restrictions for current purchasable MoP gear up until WoD launches and the change won't apply to lvl 100 WoD gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    Aren't you given gear that's higher than you'll get in the heroic dungeons? They just want to test mechanics, they already have an idea on the difficulty.
    Aparently some are overtuned, and some are undertuned. But I don't have a clue.
    No our gear is scaled down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    I think these are just normals, honestly. The difficulty is the exact same and it even drops 615 loot which is NORMAL loot. It is either a bug or this is their approach for tuning: buff them until people start to cry

Originally normals were obscenely overtuned, but they nerfed damage by 60-70% almost everywhere and they became faceroll, mostly. That obscene version (or a bit easier one) should have been the heroic one I think.
    I do think that it's buggy with it being tuned for normal difficulty damage or something, but we were getting heroic only mechanics. Hunter's mark for example on last boss of grimail (it's heroic only according to dungeon journal).

When did this nerf go in? I've yet to complete SBG on normal lol.
    Last edited by blackpink; 2014-09-04 at 06:01 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    I do think that it's buggy with it being tuned for normal difficulty damage or something, but we were getting heroic only mechanics. Hunter's mark for example on last boss of grimail (it's heroic only according to dungeon journal).
    I haven't noticed any new mechanic in Shadowmoon Burial last night. Probably there was something, but I was the healer, so I didn't have to deal with anything but damage taken and avoid-the-crap-on-the-ground which wasn't different from normal (ok, maybe we had more swords on the first boss and they pulsed harder in a bigger radius but that's all I can recall). Hell, it was even easier at some points than normal because we got scaled to 615 instead of 600.
    Our paladin tank has tanked and selfhealed the last 9% of the endboss totally alone (lasted about 1 minute), everyone else died at that point. I suppose that should not be possible in a heroic at minimal gear levels. 1 dps died right at the start on the first boss -> no problem. Another dps has been locked out from Bonemaw so we 4manned -> no problem... I hope this is still subject to tuning.

- - - Updated - - -

When did this nerf go in? I've yet to complete SBG on normal lol.
    Not sure. Yesterday was my first time in a wod heroic.

Normals have been toned down about 2 builds ago, try again now. I'd say if all heroics are just a copy of the normals with a few new mechanics, go LFD heroic instead. You will get less bad players that way, thanks to the silver PG requirement.
    Last edited by Zka; 2014-09-04 at 06:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is a case, I am maybe not happy, but at least relieved. I did the wod normals some time ago and dear lord it was hard. I was healing and I do heroic raids on live, have the proven healer achievement and know what I am doing, however it was pure madness trying to keep anyone alive. Only managed to complete the normal modes of the dungeons where I nagged my guildie 14/14hc tank to help and even then I was completely out of mana and sometimes had dead dps. And that was normal mode....

Also slightly off topic but when I watched some video by Fatboss of a dungeon preview - wasn't able to complete that one myself with random pugs so decided to youtube - and heard the guy complaining about how easy it is and nothing is happening, I looked at dps meter and they had a bugged/exploiting retribution paladin who was doing 5X the normal dps. That's like....10 manning a 5 man and complaining it is too easy <.< Djeesh, I wonder how many people saw that video and believed that it is as easy as they said.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaige View Post
    If this is a case, I am maybe not happy, but at least relieved. I did the wod normals some time ago and dear lord it was hard. I was healing and I do heroic raids on live, have the proven healer achievement and know what I am doing, however it was pure madness trying to keep anyone alive.
    That has been nerfed brutally, for example Skyreach endboss fire on the ground ticked for ~50K per second on 120K hp characters, it was down to 15K a few days ago. Makes a world of difference. Every normal mode received this treatment and they are pretty easy now, barring a few bosses. Hell yeah they were overtuned to an incredible extent, when your best HPS rotation will not keep a tank alive, you know it's fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaige View Post
    I wonder how many people saw that video and believed that it is as easy as they said.
    Aye the Iron Docks video.
    They were there after a nerf I guess. Tank lived through a whole phase without heals, that was not possible when the instance first became available.

I don't know what is their tuning plan, but they should announce whenever they change tuning. So far every dungeon difficulty change has been a stealth change and this makes meaningful discussion impossible. Someone only saw normals when they were hard, some other only saw heroics when they were easy, imagine the contradicting feedback they will give...
    Last edited by Zka; 2014-09-04 at 07:08 AM.

I believe the aim for heroic is to be around about the difficulty of Vortex Pinnacle at cata release (there was actually a blue post a while ago), we probably won't get any Grim Batols, I don't remember that many groups struggling in dungeon finder with VP.

I expect cmodes to be fucking brutal though.

If the normals got tuned down alot...I guess people are just really dumb? still can't do sbg. I'm doing it as tank though.

I think the difficulty is appropriate for the rewards

15+ Year Old Account
    If the normals got tuned down alot...I guess people are just really dumb? still can't do sbg. I'm doing it as tank though.
    Maybe. Try heroic sbg, it's basically the same difficulty now except that the worst players have been filtered out by the PG Silver requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by yeryerdude View Post
    I believe the aim for heroic is to be around about the difficulty of Vortex Pinnacle at cata release (there was actually a blue post a while ago), we probably won't get any Grim Batols, I don't remember that many groups struggling in dungeon finder with VP.

I expect cmodes to be fucking brutal though.
    The main problem with VP after Cata's release was people couldn't understand that the adepts needed to be CC'd and stay CC'd or you could sit there for hours and not kill anything. Also lots couldn't understand that the pyramids absorbed magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Sloth View Post
    I think they're only removing JP/VP restrictions for current purchasable MoP gear up until WoD launches and the change won't apply to lvl 100 WoD gear.
    JP/VP as a currency is being removed completely. meaning no more "i gotta get my weekly VP cap" dungeon running.

Originally Posted by Takralus
    There are several currency changes coming up in patch 6.0, so we want to give you a heads-up about what to expect.

The most notable currency change in patch 6.0 will be the removal of Valor and Justice points from the game.

If you’re currently working on the Mists of Pandaria legendary quest chain, don’t worry—the quest Test of Valor will be removed from the game in patch 6.0, but you’ll still be able to progress with the quest line and eventually earn your awesome cloak! Also as a result, item upgrades will no longer cost Valor points, and can be completed using Lesser Charms of Good Fortune instead. On the PTR, each upgrade level currently costs 50 charms, but it’s possible that this value will change.

You will also be able to turn in your Lesser Charms of Good Fortune for Warforged Seals. The restriction on the weekly turn-in quest for Warforged Seals is being removed, so you’ll be able to get as many as you can afford.

Finally, almost everything that is currently purchased with Valor or Justice—such as heirloom items—will be available to purchase with gold. As always with game content on the PTR, any prices you see may end up changing with the actual release of patch 6.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.