Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    So I was curious, do you think animal cruelty deserves harsher punishments?
    Absolutely! When a lion kills an antelope it must be put in jail for lifetime!

Harsher punishments and more jail time is just the "revenge lobe" of the brain kicking in. Sure it's sick and twisted, but these people need treatment. Prison is just an extension of the emotional reaction hate machine. Maybe if prisons were better at rehabilitating rather than just being a trash bin for degenerates.

Recently some chick locally was arrested and charged with animal cruelty, she got probation, do counselling, has to do some service and banned from owning animals for like 10 years or something. I'd call that reasonable and proactive.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-09-04 at 05:37 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Depends on the animal and harm done.

For example, someone who beats their dog and tortures it/torments it should be punished and be banned from having any other pet and given some other sentence for the future (I don't know much about law but let's just say if they step out of line again the punishment will be greatly increased)

If however someone has, a pet spider and tortures it by pulling off it's legs and burning it but keeping it alive, they should be analysed by a psychologist to see what would drive someone to do such disturbing things (I am not talking about pulling a magnifying glass on a spider, I am talking proper ongoing torture from an adult)

Though, people like those kids who caged a rat then poured boiling water on it until it died should receive some sort of punishment (again I am not a lawyer so I don't know what is an acceptable punishment) after seeing a psychologist, that sort of thing is pretty sick.

While the Spider case may be worse than the dog case, one has to ask, where do we draw the line? neither of those scenarios is acceptable but should we really throw someone in prison for years because they pulled the legs off a spider, to me it seems a bit extreme but the idea itself is pretty brutal, but when you take into consideration that it is dare I say "just a spider" does that excuse the crime? or should they be punished as much as someone who abuses their dog by beating it and starving it.

Personally, I would not want to be around someone who I know beats their dog just for the sheer fact that I know what they are capable of. Who's to say they won't do it to their fellow humans, if they are capable of such levels of brutality to one species then I don't see what would stop them from doing so to their own.

To sum up (a longer post than I planned) I do think people should be punished, but I think we need to take into consideration what it was they harmed and how they did it. I really don't know how but something ofc needs to be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    No animal life is more worth than one of a human.
    False.

/10

Bloodsail Admiral melkesjokolade's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Animal cruelty is the worst crime imo and yet they get the lowest punishments! Theres nothing more innocent than an animal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melkesjokolade View Post
    Animal cruelty is the worst crime imo and yet they get the lowest punishments! Theres nothing more innocent than an animal.
    I agree, aside from maybe baby humans. Similar.

As I see it, human on human crime, the victim can fight back. If they can't, or won't, or are too weak, that's their own fucking fault for being weak. I'm tiny, but fuck, I fight.

I think our jails are fitting to burst as it is. Maybe if we stopped locking up so many people for having the wrong kind of lettuce in their pocket, then we'd have room for those who commit real crimes.

And besides, implementing stronger laws and punishment for people who abuse animals isn't necessarily going to reduce the number of incidents or make the problem go away. Case in point: the war on drugs.

Murder is illegal, but it still happens, despite the lengthy prison sentences. Animals don't have a voice or anyone to speak for them, which makes them easy targets for abuse. Shitty people will continue to do shitty things. More law and order won't change that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    As I see it, human on human crime, the victim can fight back. If they can't, or won't, or are too weak, that's their own fucking fault for being weak. I'm tiny, but fuck, I fight.
    Empty talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    You know what else was never said? That people can't care about the welfare of both animals and humans at the same time. That was never said, by anyone.
    Literally every thread I have read on the topic of animal welfare in the off-topic section of mmo-champ has had someone (and I'm pretty sure I've seen you post quite a few times) where someone says something akin to "what about human rights? shouldn't we care about humans?" and derails the thread.

That's great that you care about human rights, go make a human rights thread. I also care about human rights. That's not what this thread is about, though--the original post in this thread was about harsher penalties for those who are found guilty of animal abuse.

There is literally no reason to post nonsense about how we should care about humans in a thread about animal rights/welfare.
    Last edited by Celista; 2014-09-04 at 06:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

WTF, how do you figure this?
    10 on 1, the 1 guy gets beating to death. His own fault.
    Old lady shot in the back of the head. Her own fault
    Big strong guy rapes a small 16 year old girl. Her own fault.

Awesome logic you have there. I thought I'd read some crazy things on MMO-Champ, but all victims of assault being at fault themselves for not wining the fight... That ranks high.
    Last edited by Revi; 2014-09-04 at 06:46 PM.

stop saying "animals", say what you all really mean, cute furry animals

you folks don't give a fuck about a mosquito, your lobster that was boiled alive, ants, etc

fuck even after research came out that said "yes, lobsters can feel pain and they do feel the pain of being boiled alive" nobody wanted to stop boiling them alive. nobody gave a shit

you're either all in with all animals (when is the last time you saved a wasp, a cricket, a spider, instead of smashing it when it didn't have to die) or you're part of the animal cruelty bunch

some animals are just food. that's fine, kill them humanely though. don't give special attention to a dumbass, asshole licking dog and do your best to run over a snake on the side of the road

it's just fucked up

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Bullshit. Internet bravado is cheap, but if someone handed you a pistol and a boot, and told you to either shoot a murderer or step on a cockroach, I somehow doubt you'd pull the trigger.
    Nice straw man argument, whose life I deem more worthy and who I would choose to kill in a silly scenario is not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarecho View Post

you folks don't give a fuck about a mosquito, your lobster that was boiled alive, ants, etc

fuck even after research came out that said "yes, lobsters can feel pain and they do feel the pain of being boiled alive" nobody wanted to stop boiling them alive. nobody gave a shit

you're either all in with all animals (when is the last time you saved a wasp, a cricket, a spider, instead of smashing it when it didn't have to die) or you're part of the animal cruelty bunch

some animals are just food. that's fine, kill them humanely though. don't give special attention to a dumbass, asshole licking dog and do your best to run over a snake on the side of the road

it's just fucked up
    Couldn't agree more. I've brought it up in many of these threads but alas, this is one type of hypocrisy people aren't willing to give up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarecho View Post

it's just fucked up
    I'll have you know I don't intentionally kill anything that hasn't intruded upon my home. There have been studies, and I'm not sure the conclusions to them, that were observing and figuring out whether bugs even had the capability to feel pain, or something like that. It's been awhile.

Deleted

Yeah, fuck people for being the victims of crimes. They deserve it, especially those who are smaller and/or weaker.

To the people who say one human > animal always, I disagree. If someone is attacking either of my pets, you can bet your ass I will try my absolute hardest to beat the shit out of them. Because in my point of view, my pet's life is worth more than that of a random assailant.

On topic: So long as new laws don't stop animal testing. Yea it sucks, but medicine kind of requires it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I've brought it up in many of these threads but alas, this is one type of hypocrisy people aren't willing to give up.
    A lot of inane arguments have been thought up in various threads. "You must not care about animals if you've ever killed a fly or a mosquito." "If you're not vegetarian then you don't care about animals, etc". There's a reason why the whole cage-free/humane treatment of farm animals movement exists, protests of ag-gag laws, etc.

People care about animals more than just the cute and fluffy ones, although yes people have special care and concern for animals that are kept as domesticated pets, why is that surprising?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    To the people who say one human > animal always, I disagree. If someone is attacking either of my pets, you can bet your ass I will try my absolute hardest to beat the shit out of them. Because in my point of view, my pet's life is worth more than that of a random assailant.

On topic: So long as new laws don't stop animal testing. Yea it sucks, but medicine kind of requires it.
    And you'd get more time in prison than that person would get. Great going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Ive actually stopped my car in my driveway to watch a tarantula cross it, just so I wouldnt run over it! I rescue frogs from pools, geckos from inside my house, and step over ants (especially leaf cutter ants).

I like to think my animal love is pretty universal. Except mosquitoes. fuck those disease carrying guys. Just bout every animal in the animal kingdom hates them too, ebcause they are a MAJOR carrier of various diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    And you'd get more time in prison than that person would get. Great going.
    I'll take an assault and battery charge if it means not having to see my family members become majorly depressed. They're incredibly attached to the pets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?