Thread: Is Rift dead?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I had already quit and didnt follow all the bugs apart from the Maelforge weapon stone abuse. My point simply is.. Hammerknell released 6 months after release in July, great timing.

Problem was at least until September they were fixing critical bugs that should never be there, or even the major akylios bug that only Voodoo i think encountered where his ability was doing like 3k/0.3 seconds instead of 300.

Or the Murdatrix major bug at the first week that half guilds met his YOU CANT KILL ME BUG I SPAM MY ABILITIES AT A X2 RATE or the I WONT DO ANYTHING BUG, JUST LOOT ME.

ID then released 9 months after, and until i quit, at may aka 2 months into it, they still hadnt fixed the Earth Wing bosses.

I like Rift, i still think its an amazing gamer but Slipmat wears rose tinted glasses and always forgets to mention these type of stuff but always remembers to "mock" WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    I had already quit and didnt follow all the bugs apart from the Maelforge weapon stone abuse. My point simply is.. Hammerknell released 6 months after release in July, great timing.

Problem was at least until September they were fixing critical bugs that should never be there, or even the major akylios bug that only Voodoo i think encountered where his ability was doing like 3k/0.3 seconds instead of 300.

Or the Murdatrix major bug at the first week that half guilds met his YOU CANT KILL ME BUG I SPAM MY ABILITIES AT A X2 RATE or the I WONT DO ANYTHING BUG, JUST LOOT ME.

ID then released 9 months after, and until i quit, at may aka 2 months into it, they still hadnt fixed the Earth Wing bosses.

I like Rift, i still think its an amazing gamer but Slipmat wears rose tinted glasses and always forgets to mention these type of stuff but always remembers to "mock" WoW.
    Maklamos was the only earth boss that had issues. Laethys was overtuned but was in pretty good shape. Maelforge on the other hand was a mess. Whole mechanics from what they originally intended had to be removed or changed because they never got him to work right.

HK had a fair amount of a bugs but most of them were no worse than bugs in WoW raids the first 2 expansions so I give Rift a win on that front. The bug I think you are referring to with Akylios was the issue with Cerebral Bore which was fixed fairly quickly. The biggest issue with Akylios was that he was quite literally impossible initially. It simply was not possible to beat him within the enrage timer as it originally existed. Akylios went through about 5 phases of nerfs during progression. Only the last one really made the fight easier, the others just more or less made it doable.

Akylios was and still is the best raid fight I've seen in any MMO in uh....well the decade plus I've been playing MMO's. Yogg 0 would be the close second to that. And what makes a good fight is more than simply being impossibly hard. If that were the case I'd say prenerf Muru wins hands down. But both Yogg 0 and Akylios required an extra level of mastery of alot of very complicated mechanics with very very little margin for error. But beyond that the scope and epicness of the fight itself is also a factor. Akylios was also a very long multiphase fight. Some people hated that, some loved it. To me thats what a really really good end raid encounter is, but a subset of newer raiders prefer shorter fights. Akylios was a long fight for sure and no doubt that it destroyed guilds. But honestly most of the guilds destroyed by Hammerknell were blown apart by Sicaron and not Akylios. Having 1 person be responsible for wiping the entire raid is often a major strain on guilds because its very easy to call one person out which can lead to some pretty intense in fighting. I saw this first hand.

Anyways about Ember Isle, there was a ton of content. Just because you may not like it doesn't mean it wasn't a lot of content. Fishing, EI Instant Adventures, 4 particularly large and complex zone events (they never really did zone events like this after EI sadly), Onslaughts, a entire story quest chain, the whole freaking zone itself, there was actually an open world raid area there that many people never even bothered to mess with, 2 raid rifts, all the rifts on EI were new. It was almost a mini expansion. There was also 2 new dungeons (Upper and Lower CR) as well as a 12 boss master mode of same this patch also introduced Master Mode Darkening Deeps.

PS. Chronicles are awesome and they need to do more of them. They are also very popular.

Just to clarify, you are confusing things. EI and ID were two seperate pieces of content. Patch 1.6 was EI. Patch 1.7 was the Anniversary which rolled into patch 1.8 (Infernal Dawn). Which is why 1.8 didn't have much content aside from the raid. Most of the content was in 1.7 because the Anniversary World event went straight into the opening of Infernal Dawn. So there was only about a month between 1.7 and 1.8. Basically the length of time of the Anniversary World Event.
    Last edited by Khelendros; 2014-10-12 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by topcatti View Post
    I bet the game had 5 times more players if 50-60 wasnt so slow, 50 hours terribly spent. /quit @ 54
    Kids. Smh. There's always Xbox live.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've really been trying to get into RIFT lately but outside of IA's the Queues for everything else are crazy long. Sat in a 72min queue for Random PvP today and just gave up and logged out.

Great game but feels quite dead on some servers.

The PVP queues have never been very speedy. I recall my active PVPing guild mates often complaining about the long wait. And the few times PVP was required of me, for quests and whatnot, I too waited a long time.

PVP is not Rift's strong suit in any capacity. It was kind of a mistake that it was included in the game to begin with and Trion have never managed to come up with robust, interesting or compelling PVP to the mass market or Rift's niche player base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The PVP queues have never been very speedy. I recall my active PVPing guild mates often complaining about the long wait. And the few times PVP was required of me, for quests and whatnot, I too waited a long time.

PVP is not Rift's strong suit in any capacity. It was kind of a mistake that it was included in the game to begin with and Trion have never managed to come up with robust, interesting or compelling PVP to the mass market or Rift's niche player base.
    When I play in the first year of the game, Black Talon and such used to still have pretty speedy times. But 72mins? Just tried LFG as a lvl 40 tank and sat in that queue for 37 minutes.

Disappointing for me since I really want to get into wrecking things on my new VK/Pal

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    When I play in the first year of the game, Black Talon and such used to still have pretty speedy times. But 72mins? Just tried LFG as a lvl 40 tank and sat in that queue for 37 minutes.

Disappointing for me since I really want to get into wrecking things on my new VK/Pal
    Are you flagged for mentoring/sidekicking? I don't think I've waited for more than 5-6 minutes on any of the characters I'm leveling now to pop into a dungeon in weeks, and that's often times even without mentoring enabled.

And are you NA or EU? I only know what's going on in NA, no clue how EU is.

Deleted
    I've really been trying to get into RIFT lately but outside of IA's the Queues for everything else are crazy long. Sat in a 72min queue for Random PvP today and just gave up and logged out.

Great game but feels quite dead on some servers.
    3 seconds. That is how long it takes me to get a random warfront on NA shards at 65. People don't bother with instances or PvP while leveling because IA's are just TOO good for experience and like every other MMORPG the game starts at the cap, so don't judge it or call it dead while you're leveling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    Kids. Smh. There's always Xbox live.
    Yeah, because i dont want to spend 200 hours leveling my character from 54 to 60 in a game that i have 0 friends in, means im a kid?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Are you flagged for mentoring/sidekicking? I don't think I've waited for more than 5-6 minutes on any of the characters I'm leveling now to pop into a dungeon in weeks, and that's often times even without mentoring enabled.

And are you NA or EU? I only know what's going on in NA, no clue how EU is.
    Well I decided to move from Laethys to Deepwood. And now I get Warfronts within about 1-2mins. It seems it is just the Oceanic community that is pretty dead.
    Deepwood still feels pretty alive, just did a Nightmare RIFT up to lvl 67 in Silverwood with a group of about 20 people. Good fun

Well I decided to move from Laethys to Deepwood. And now I get Warfronts within about 1-2mins. It seems it is just the Oceanic community that is pretty dead.
    Deepwood still feels pretty alive, just did a Nightmare RIFT up to lvl 67 in Silverwood with a group of about 20 people. Good fun
    Shouldn't matter, all the realms share a singular queue for WF's/instances >.>

There's actually no real separation of servers in terms of what/who you can group with given that you can guest on any server and queues are all cross-server. The only real difference is that you can't join guilds cross-server, but server changes are free.

I feel like our WoW community has ported over to the Rift forum, which used to seem mellow with good convo. WTH happened? WoD?

Anyhow, to the commentary about world firsts and Maelforge junk - it just makes me realize that Blizzard did a bright thing by destroying the world-first concept. So glad about that.

Deleted
    i am afraid to get back to Rift because i want to level my warrior dps but i know how i spent like 5h a level ish nonstop farming IAs and whatnot back in the days for 50-60.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    i am afraid to get back to Rift because i want to level my warrior dps but i know how i spent like 5h a level ish nonstop farming IAs and whatnot back in the days for 50-60.....
    IA's are better experience now, but they're really only super effective for speed leveling at low levels. You get a ton of experience from the story quests from 60-65.

5 hours honestly isn't very long per level for the final levels going to max level.

Which server is the biggest in eu?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroguy View Post
    That would be Brutwatch, the german server. The three english servers seem to be quite similar in terms of population. Check here: http://riftideas.com/shardwatch/

So I am really thinking about returning to the game (a lot of toons parked at mid 50s, none reached 60). I miss the lore, which is part of it. Two issues have me idling, however.

1) Not having a clue about the lore anymore. Will the game pick it up for me as jump back in? I haven't found any particularly good lore websites, so if anyone knows of some, I'd appreciate a pointer.

2) The sheer amount of mats in the game. I think the ability to craft stuff is great, but man the amount of stuff that drops in this game is insane. It is hard to filter out what is relevant and not. And to my knowledge, Trion hasn't instituted a mats bank as did Blizzard.

But anyhow, I think I will get hooked again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroguy View Post
    For pvp it used to be Bloodiron. I don't know about now, since server change is free in Rift random server can be the next big one and a former big one can completely die. I haven't logged in for a while, but I hope Bloodiron is still alive and kicking, because they are forcing a divorce on my chars if I want to change server and I don't want to be divorced =(

Quote Originally Posted by Blargn View Post
    It is dead.
    yep its dead. dead as WoW. Time for the funeral folks!