Greater Rift's Major Flaw

First of all, I want to say kudos to the Blizzard team in charge of Diablo 3 because this is the most fun I've had playing Diablo 3 since it came out. I love the new season and I'm currently playing a hardcore crusader (Profile here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/M.../hero/52062518) and having a blast gearing up. The only concern I have is the greater rifts and major flaws in it that keep it from being really fun.

The Main Problem: The monsters have way too much life past GR 30. I don't think anyone would complain if max life stopped after GR30. Instead, maybe more affixes or abilities that make the player think more about positioning. It should come down to player skill after GR 30 and not how much damage you can do because with current gear levels even GR 30 is out of reach for most hardcore players.

I am still gearing up my character, but from what I've seen from other player's streams is that it would be difficult for me to even want to go past GR25. I am more of a casual player but when I play I am very efficient with my time which is why I've been able to gear at a decent pace. I am doing more damage than most of my other guild mates so I feel I'm still in the mix to be competitive despite the fact I only have a couple of hours or so to play per night. Happy hunting friends, may the RNG Gods be with you.
    Last edited by Mischiefpwns; 2014-09-03 at 09:18 PM.

Greater rifts are so unrewarding and the only real reason to run them is to upgrade gems or to e-peen on leaderboards (which is even more unrewarding). I can clear 3-4 regular T6 rifts in the time it takes me to complete one 32+ Grift and get 10-15 times more loot.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    Greater rifts are so unrewarding and the only real reason to run them is to upgrade gems or to e-peen on leaderboards (which is even more unrewarding). I can clear 3-4 regular T6 rifts in the time it takes me to complete one 32+ Grift and get 10-15 times more loot.
    Yeah, that's the weird thing. They said there will be "explosion of loot" when you kill the Guardian, but I only get a lot of crafting material and like 2-4 items.

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Yeah, that's the weird thing. They said there will be "explosion of loot" when you kill the Guardian, but I only get a lot of crafting material and like 2-4 items.
    That is really another issue I have as well. Point well made.

I feel like I rather want to run normal rifts when it comes to loot too. Blizz should really increase the boss kill loot a bit.

I havent reached any +20lvl Grifts yet, but I notice already something annoying. Some monsters are really not fit to be in a time based challenge. Fallen angels for example. I couldnt complete a Grift in time because i was so much behind after few levels included only elite versions of fallen angels. Right after it I went to another Grift at the same level and completed it with 6mins remaining ... that Grift didnt have any of the annoying time consuming monster types.

Also sometimes ocassional "empty" Grifts. Perhaps not completely empty, but that you have to run around for quite a while to even see a normal mob, let alone elite.

Greater rifts are MOSTLY fine so far. Just some annoyances. No idea about very high level ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    IAlso sometimes ocassional "empty" Grifts. Perhaps not completely empty, but that you have to run around for quite a while to even see a normal mob, let alone elite.
    I had this a couple of times as well I believe it's a known bug and is being looked into, so hopefully they'll buff monster density in Grifts soon. That said I agree that they REALLY need to buff the loot in Grifts, like 2/3x AT LEAST.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

D3 has always had the flaw of difficulty being measured simply in mob damage vs health. Blizzard wants to keep the game easy to understand and learn and play and that means not throwing any surprises at the player. They could easily increase mob density more and more until a point where every room has 4 elites in it, and then even increase the number of mods elites spawn with until they all come with 6 offensive mods by default, but instead they choose to simply make the same old fights last longer and do a bit more damage to you.

Mob density buffs would be the best first step imo, but considering they went back on their mob density changes in pre-RoS I don't have my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I feel like I rather want to run normal rifts when it comes to loot too. Blizz should really increase the boss kill loot a bit.

I havent reached any +20lvl Grifts yet, but I notice already something annoying. Some monsters are really not fit to be in a time based challenge. Fallen angels for example. I couldnt complete a Grift in time because i was so much behind after few levels included only elite versions of fallen angels. Right after it I went to another Grift at the same level and completed it with 6mins remaining ... that Grift didnt have any of the annoying time consuming monster types.

Also sometimes ocassional "empty" Grifts. Perhaps not completely empty, but that you have to run around for quite a while to even see a normal mob, let alone elite.

Greater rifts are MOSTLY fine so far. Just some annoyances. No idea about very high level ones.
    Add any mob that can leave the map to that(ghosts, worms etc). Those suck, because you can just get screwed over by them hiding in walls. And I obviously agree that the loot is crap and should be buffed(feels like they nerfed it since the first couple of days)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    D3 has always had the flaw of difficulty being measured simply in mob damage vs health. Blizzard wants to keep the game easy to understand and learn and play and that means not throwing any surprises at the player. They could easily increase mob density more and more until a point where every room has 4 elites in it, and then even increase the number of mods elites spawn with until they all come with 6 offensive mods by default, but instead they choose to simply make the same old fights last longer and do a bit more damage to you.

Mob density buffs would be the best first step imo, but considering they went back on their mob density changes in pre-RoS I don't have my hopes up.
    Increase mob density? Greater Rifts are pretty much empty compared to normal rifts at the moment, so buffing density would be nice.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    With Diablo 3 being my main game. I can say GR are just not worth it. Leaderboards are stupid and are not based off skill. Everyone using unity just to survive isn't skill.
    I have my gems on my ALT's to level 30 and called it quits. There's no point in going higher than 30. you walk in and die instantly with no chance. Yeah a few no lifers have hit 40+ using cheap tricks with items, No thanks it'd rather play GR with my own build and skill the way it should be.

Affix's are out of control. Jailer 1 shots. Frozen orb tracks you. Thunderstorm 1 shots. Frozen deals instant ticks to you. Vortex still needs to be removed because its so cheap it also counters the " Make you own build " boon blizzard boosts about because i am forced to use a defensive where as my skill in game play should allow me to stay alive.

I can see stupid people jumping in saying " Ice climbers if your have problems " I say Invalid. Boots are part of my set which would ruin my build which means i am not having fun because i am using some sort of mandatory cookie cutter face rolling build. ( I use 2 sets in combo with RORG )

Instead of hot fixing bounty's so noobs cant cheat in sessons, Maybe they could fix the game. If they launched 2.1 with the old affixes the game would have been perfect.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    With Diablo 3 being my main game. I can say GR are just not worth it. Leaderboards are stupid and are not based off skill. Everyone using unity just to survive isn't skill.
    I have my gems on my ALT's to level 30 and called it quits. There's no point in going higher than 30. you walk in and die instantly with no chance. Yeah a few no lifers have hit 40+ using cheap tricks with items, No thanks it'd rather play GR with my own build and skill the way it should be.

Affix's are out of control. Jailer 1 shots. Frozen orb tracks you. Thunderstorm 1 shots. Frozen deals instant ticks to you. Vortex still needs to be removed because its so cheap it also counters the " Make you own build " boon blizzard boosts about because i am forced to use a defensive where as my skill in game play should allow me to stay alive.

I can see stupid people jumping in saying " Ice climbers if your have problems " I say Invalid. Boots are part of my set which would ruin my build which means i am not having fun because i am using some sort of mandatory cookie cutter face rolling build. ( I use 2 sets in combo with RORG )

Instead of hot fixing bounty's so noobs cant cheat in sessons, Maybe they could fix the game. If they launched 2.1 with the old affixes the game would have been perfect.
    The higher you get the more damage you take, or did you really think you could run Grift 40+ in your torment 6 stomping gear? Maybe gear or play a build that's more defensively if everything 1shots you. I've played maybe 20 hours since the patch and reached Grift 36, I'd hardly call that no life.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post

Thing is, people are doing group Grifts 30+ without abusing unity. Its all about the builds they are using (high damage, more toughness using "outs" like vault and teleport and kiting a bit more. Basically how people handled Inferno difficulty around launch time when it was frustratingly hard and the game was actually cheap instead of being difficult.

As for your build? part of the fun of diablo is having more then one build depending on what you'll be doing. You wouldn't wear metal working gloves and bring a blow torch to a dish washing job after all would you?
    Amazing Signature by Yoni

Deleted
    Well some gems are worth going for "not so great rewarding" greater rifts, as exp. for jade WD
    Posion, 20% dmg increase and trapped gem are OP once leveld up

I just completed a lvl 31 G rift on hardcore, and I must say.

The health is getting A BIT ridiculous. Boss was just shy of 17 billion. It's bad when a normal Grotesque mob has 800m health. They for sure need to work on some other system. The only thing I can say is that legendary gems will make things more possible with time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Reward wise Greater rifts are pretty bad(thats why I have like 200 Greater rift keys atm). I find it kinda fun though, even as a Crusader you need to dodge most stuff and cling to your life, while still doing great damage. I will try to break into 34-35 today(had some bad luck yesterday with really bad mob combos) which will give me a decent ranking on the season.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They could be a bit better, but honestly greater rifts should be treated as just a couple things. First off it's largely for it's competitive nature. Secondly it's only really rewarding in the sense of upgrading your gems further and further, basically another way of progression. It's really grindy, but so isn't grinding the hellfire amulet.