Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is healing tuned yet?

After playing the Beta a while, I'm really frustrated by healing. Even my strongest heal, Flash Heal, barely heals for ~10% of the tank's health. On many pulls, I was having to spam Flash Heal nonstop just to keep the tank above 50%.

Are healing numbers tuned yet or...?

EDIT: After further research and testing, it seems that mob damage being too high was/is the problem, not healing being too low.

At least, as far as I could tell.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2014-09-07 at 01:55 AM.

Deleted
    Hardly nothing is tuned on beta atm. (as recent updates are of source)

They've done their first healing tuning pass, but of course they're still working on it. Definitely post on the Beta forums about your experiences with healing so far, that's how it'll get fixed come live.

Ah, whew. That's good to know.

Deleted
    But at the same time you have to remember that this sounds very much like what Blizzard is intending with the new healing mechanic. Not necessarily to this extent, but still. It's not even supposed to be like MoP where one flash heal does 50% health pool

Yep, at first I was like "wtf" but then I got used to it and I prefer WoD healing style tbh.

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Yep, at first I was like "wtf" but then I got used to it and I prefer WoD healing style tbh.
    I don't really prefer having to spam the tank with flash heals just to keep him above 50%.

I like the general healing style, but the numbers are way too small.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not tuned. Fortunately, because disc is almost useless now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Not tuned. Fortunately, because disc is almost useless now.
    Yeah, I definitely noticed that. Couldn't heal for shit as Disc, switched to Holy and was noticeably better.

But still, healing needs to be buffed a lot, unless Blizzard is trying to push some kind of tuning where avoidable damage is a huge penalty because it's hard to heal up.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I don't really prefer having to spam the tank with flash heals just to keep him above 50%.

Every new expansion (at least, in my recollection) leaves the healers feeling vulnerable at the start. It always balances out. And by the way, if you're having to spam flash heal all the time, it doesn't sound like your tank is doing it right. It's not ALWAYS the healer's fault, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fefina View Post
    Every new expansion (at least, in my recollection) leaves the healers feeling vulnerable at the start.
    Cata wasn't that way; I could keep the tank up just fine, though Holy's regen was shit :P

Here, I'm having to spam the inefficient heal nonstop just to keep the tank above 40-50% health. In a normal mode dungeon. That's kinda...bad.

"it will get better with higher gear" is not a good solution either, because you don't start off with higher level gear!

And I'm not sure how tanking normal melee mobs is "not doing it right".

As the others said, I'm sure healing is just undertuned right now. At least, I'm hoping it is, because having to spam Flash Heal nonstop to just barely keep the tank alive is not fun, it's frustrating and nerve-wracking.

I don't mean to doubt you, but I am skeptical of what you've said. Spamming flash heal is absolutely not the model they're aiming for by any means, so if what you're saying is correct, then it is something that really needs to be adressed. So far I haven't heard a lot of discussion indicating this kind of situation to be normal, but to that end, I also haven't heard much discussion around the performance of disc in 5man dungeons, as most of the talk has been directed towards our viability in raiding. It has been noted, quiet often, that disc's only viable means of tank healing is coming from the level 100 talent Clarity of Will, and so leveling without it may well result in the situation where you are forced to spam flash heal on the tank.
    I have a few questions, if you're willing to answer, that could help us to determine the cause of this situation:

How was your mana during the dungeon?

When was the last time you healed on live as a disc priest?

What class was the tank you were healing?

What dungeon were you running?

Were you finding it harder to heal the trash pulls or the boss fights?

How many mobs was the tank pulling?
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    I don't mean to doubt you, but I am skeptical of what you've said. Spamming flash heal is absolutely not the model they're aiming for by any means, so if what you're saying is correct, then it is something that really needs to be adressed. So far I haven't heard a lot of discussion indicating this kind of situation to be normal, but to that end, I also haven't heard much discussion around the performance of disc in 5man dungeons, as most of the talk has been directed towards our viability in raiding. It has been noted, quiet often, that disc's only viable means of tank healing is coming from the level 100 talent Clarity of Will, and so leveling without it may well result in the situation where you are forced to spam flash heal on the tank.
    I wasn't Disc, I was Holy.

How was your mana during the dungeon?
    Never OOM'd, my regen was really damn high.

What class was the tank you were healing?
    Paladin.

What dungeon were you running?
    Uh...don't know the name, but it was the dungeon on the train.

Were you finding it harder to heal the trash pulls or the boss fights?
    Trash was definitely way harder-hitting than bosses.

How many mobs was the tank pulling?
    2-3?

Cata wasn't that way; I could keep the tank up just fine, though Holy's regen was shit :P
    Maybe you could keep the tank up at the start of Cataclysm, but I bet you still felt pretty vulnerable in other regards doing heroics like Grim Batol and Stonecore in the first few weeks after launch.

I wasn't Disc, I was Holy.

Never OOM'd, my regen was really damn high.

Paladin.

Uh...don't know the name, but it was the dungeon on the train.

Trash was definitely way harder-hitting than bosses.

2-3?
    Ah, my mistake, thought you were disc xD
    I find it strange you didn't go oom while spaming flash heal. Were you level 100?
    Trash hitting a lot harder than the boss seems a bit off. I mean, if he was pulling heaps I could understand, but only 2-3 should be easily manageable and wouldn't, I'd imagine, be much harder than the boss... Perhaps the mobs tuning is off... Or it could have something to do with the recent tank squish... not sure if that had been implemented yet. There's always the possibility that the tank was just bad, it can be particularly stressful with paladin tanks who don't use their SotR properly, unlike other tanks like dk's they don't have as much foolproofness
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Quote Originally Posted by Maleric View Post
    Maybe you could keep the tank up at the start of Cataclysm, but I bet you still felt pretty vulnerable in other regards doing heroics like Grim Batol and Stonecore in the first few weeks after launch.
    Actually, Grim Batol was the first heroic I ever did in Cata. Got into an LFD group with 4 people from another server's top raiding guild, and we spent a good 2 1/2 hours in there. Fun times~

But still, the problem then was not keeping the tank/group up, the problem was mostly mana. Holy's regen was terrible until they buffed it...and then nerfed it again like 2 weeks later.

I find it strange you didn't go oom while spaming flash heal. Were you level 100?
    Yeah, I made a level 100 premade. I could spam Flash Heal nonstop for...45-60 seconds? before OOMing.

Trash hitting a lot harder than the boss seems a bit off. I mean, if he was pulling heaps I could understand, but only 2-3 should be easily manageable and wouldn't, I'd imagine, be much harder than the boss...
    I found it really strange too. We even had the mage using sheep on most pulls.

Perhaps my gear is the problem? The level 100 premades come with a full set of ilvl 588-592 greens, and a 588 blue weapon. Heal and Flash Heal are healing for about 13-14k.

- - - Updated - - -

Just created a 100 Shaman and the instance I got was...Bloodmaul Slag Mines? I think it was tuned for level 90 though, because the bosses were 92 Elite, and the little black buff icon said that I was being scaled down to ilvl 500. Had about 37k mana.

Healing here? Felt great. Healing Wave was healing for about 15% of the tank's health, and that along with Earth Shield and Riptide kept him topped most of the time. Chain Heal felt a little weak, but single-target heals were fine.

So yeah...seems they've still got a good bit of healing tuning to do.

Tuning of instances still needs some work, some of the groups on that train are a pain - made worse because of poor visibility.

Another thing to take into consideration is to look at their little "buff" to see what ilevel you are really doing the dungeon with and then compare it to the ilevel of the gear that drops in the dungeon. If you are massively below the drops, you might be making data for "massively undergeared". I did Skyreach will a "buff" that lowered my ilevel from live with the instance dropping ilevel 600 gear.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Remember that Heal and Flash Heal are pretty identical now. Once you Flash Heal once or twice you should not Flash Heal again, instead use Heal which is as fast as Flash Heal and much cheaper on mana. Be in Serenity Chakra, make sure you are refreshing Renew, use HW: Serenity and then use a Serendipity x2 Heal. Use Guardian Spirit for the +60% heals! or Glyph it for +200% heals. Use Life Grip for a +50% heal. Use Saving Grace instead of WoM, you have plenty of time in Dungeons for a 1-3 stack to drop off. I really don't see how a Holy Priest would have a problem healing. Remember that heals as a % of player health are much smaller now. It's not like live where you can crit a Greater Heal during trinket procs for more than the entire tank's health. That is not how healing is supposed to work in WoD, and you have a lot of choices, not just Flash Heal, for healing the tank.

Glyph PoM as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkener View Post
    Remember that Heal and Flash Heal are pretty identical now. Once you Flash Heal once or twice you should not Flash Heal again, instead use Heal which is as fast as Flash Heal and much cheaper on mana. Be in Serenity Chakra, make sure you are refreshing Renew, use HW: Serenity and then use a Serendipity x2 Heal. Use Guardian Spirit for the +60% heals! or Glyph it for +200% heals. Use Life Grip for a +50% heal. Use Saving Grace instead of WoM, you have plenty of time in Dungeons for a 1-3 stack to drop off. I really don't see how a Holy Priest would have a problem healing. Remember that heals as a % of player health are much smaller now. It's not like live where you can crit a Greater Heal during trinket procs for more than the entire tank's health. That is not how healing is supposed to work in WoD, and you have a lot of choices, not just Flash Heal, for healing the tank.

Glyph PoM as well.

The point is that I should not have to be using Flash Heal regularly. Especially not in a normal mode dungeon just to keep the tank above 50% on *trash*. Isn't it supposed to be the "emergency" heal?

I'm not expecting "heal the entire tank's health with one heal", but my "high throughput low efficiency" spell should not be healing for 10% of the tank's health either.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm...I managed to get Bloodmaul Slag Mines again on my Priest, and...it was damn easy! Scaled down to level 90, and with just Heal and Renew, and an occasional Serenity, I could easily keep the tank above 85% at all times. Never used Flash Heal except for Surge of Light procs.

So yeah, I think it's more a problem of mob damage being too high in the 95-100 dungeons, instead of healing being too low.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, got into a level 100 dungeon finally, and the healing was fine. This same dungeon, I ran about a month ago, and couldn't heal it for shit. Everything was doing shitloads of damage and I was having to pop multiple cooldowns every single pull just to barely survive. Now, that same dungeon was easy to heal, and only a couple pulls were noticeably tougher, but they were pulls of like 5 mobs.

So yeah, maybe it was just that one train dungeon that has overtuned mobs or something.