Thread: Weed Welfare.

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Weed Welfare.

City mandates free medical marijuana for low-income residents.
    That's what the Berkeley City Council in California has unanimously approved, ordering medical marijuana dispensaries to donate 2 percent of their stash to patients making less than $32,000 a year.

The new welfare program in the liberal-leaning city is set to launch in August 2015.

So free medical marijuana if you make less then 32k a year what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Hopefully universal healthcare.
    Seconded.

/high five in case not 10char.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I guess if you accept the idea that it's a medical intervention (which is the corner California's painted itself into), it makes sense to mandate that it be available to low income residents.

Deleted
    Americans and there fondness of the word liberals

Also yeah, free healthcare

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    So free medical marijuana if you make less then 32k a year what's next?
    People marrying inanimate objects, the steady decline of family values and immigrants ruining the country. Damn communists.

Seriously though, it's not that much. How many people get prescribed medical marijuana? I can't imagine the number is very high. Now those people are going to get it free. It's not every person who earns 32k but rather a subset of them, if I'm reading your post correctly.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Seriously though, it's not that much. How many people get prescribed medical marijuana? I can't imagine the number is very high.
    In California, it's a non-trivial number, as they've decided to pretend that a whole array of pseudo-ailments can be treated by pot. It's their way of legalizing without really legalizing. Getting medical marijuana in California is trivially easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    In California, it's a non-trivial number, as they've decided to pretend that a whole array of pseudo-ailments can be treated by pot. It's their way of legalizing without really legalizing. Getting medical marijuana in California is trivially easy.
    First, I'm not against pot in any way when used responsibly.

Second, if I happened to live in CA, I could get a scrip for it because the third finger on my right hand hurts sometimes and it affects my work. It's pretty much that easy.

= How many people get prescribed medical marijuana? I can't imagine the number is very high.
    Just about everyone who lives in California, smokes weed and has a couple hundred bucks, it's a lot more then you think. Conservative numbers have it at 500k and have seen estimates as high as 1.2 million people in California alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm interesting, why don't they just pull a Colorado?

If the number is high though then surely they get a tiny amount each or a bunch of people don't get the free weed, it's 2% of their stash so unless they have a massive surplus then surely you won't have a bunch of people getting free stuff? Unless only 2% of people with it earn less than 32k.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voisier View Post
    Can we get this in the UK please.
    we do i believe

Deleted
    I guess if you accept the idea that it's a medical intervention (which is the corner California's painted itself into), it makes sense to mandate that it be available to low income residents.
    Agree. If it is really considered as medicine, there's really not much wrong with giving it out for free to people who probably couldn't afford it otherwise.

Deleted
    They should legalise weed the world over just so people would stop talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    First, I'm not against pot in any way when used responsibly.

Second, if I happened to live in CA, I could get a scrip for it because the third finger on my right hand hurts sometimes and it affects my work. It's pretty much that easy.
    Right, I have the same stance - my preference is outright legalization of pot, with very light regulation. California's just managed to do it in about the dumbest way possible and now has to deal with weird consequences like people claiming that they're entitled to pot because it's totally medicine for their ADD

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm interesting, why don't they just pull a Colorado?
    They got to where they are because they started decriminalizing a lot earlier, before their was enough public will to outright legalize. So they decriminalized and made it medically available, then the "medical" part started sliding as people realized it could just be used as a wink and a nod from the state.
    If the number is high though then surely they get a tiny amount each or a bunch of people don't get the free weed, it's 2% of their stash so unless they have a massive surplus then surely you won't have a bunch of people getting free stuff? Unless only 2% of people with it earn less than 32k.
    I have no idea. Seems like a very odd local policy.

Deleted
    canabis shouldnt be medicated for mental issues only pain relief

So now people can stupefy themselves at taxpayer's expense. Whatever next, indeed.

I have not heard of this, but as someone who lives there, I thank MMO-Champ and its members for the information.

They got to where they are because they started decriminalizing a lot earlier, before their was enough public will to outright legalize. So they decriminalized and made it medically available, then the "medical" part started sliding as people realized it could just be used as a wink and a nod from the state.
    So as a MN resident, I'm resigned to being about the 15th state to do anything about anything (hey, we're progressive but not TOO progressive). We have decriminalized, at least. That is, small amounts of it are not a felony.

But OT: The 2% stipulation is weird. Seems like it should be rolled into usual scrips prices and done that way. I don't run their books and I'm not qualified, so whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    They should legalise weed the world over just so people would stop talking about it.
    This. Legalize it, regulate it, tax it. Let everyone in prison for marijuana-related offenses out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    A medical substance being provided to low income residents, I don't see whats the matter. People wanted a weed to be labeled as medical which means that have to accept all the things that come with that label.

"Berkeley City Council in California" Some call it "People's Republic of Berkeley". It's a bunch of hippies who run the city council.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland