Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidwhale View Post
    The Irony of most game developing jobs is they require game developing experience, so short of making an indie game there really is no entry level position.
    Rabidwhale is right. You should forget about big developers and make your own small knit indie team.

Personally I think when it comes to programming, you learn more faster from on the job training, self teaching and short courses. Unfortunately employers normally have plenty of good applicants for positions, so of course they tend to go with the ones with degrees. Because they can. Its called credentialism.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also be advised game development requirements to programmers are different from general IT (Uni education) requirements to programmers. Coding games is different from coding Windows Form Applications. GameDev Programmer >>>> IT programmer. This is the reason IT companies try to head hunt GameDev Programmers so much.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

But how do you get a job like Mr. Miyamoto's? Thinking of concepts, gameplay mechanics or story even.

I like to program, but I am not nearly good enough to make the kind of games I have ideas for. And I don't want to program those games even.
    Coming up with the story, gameplay mechanics and designing the world...that is what I like to work on in games...how do you get a job for that?

Is there a course/degree?
    Not sure how I can build a portfolio for that...

Any ideas?
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

15+ Year Old Account
    Getting into game dev with a uni degree is already complicated, and unless you're some kind of (proven) genius, you'll be paid sh**. Too many people want to work in it, too little offers -> low wages.

Getting into game dev without a degree is like playing the lottery. There *are* chances to be successful, but the chances are incredibly low (unless you can prove you're a genius in one/multiple fields related to game dev, then chances are only low, not incredibly low).
    Oh, hi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post
    But how do you get a job like Mr. Miyamoto's? Thinking of concepts, gameplay mechanics or story even.

I like to program, but I am not nearly good enough to make the kind of games I have ideas for. And I don't want to program those games even.
    Coming up with the story, gameplay mechanics and designing the world...that is what I like to work on in games...how do you get a job for that?

Any ideas?
    You could go for a degree in 3d modelling and animation, have no idea about what course is the best in your position but i know they are around for sure.
    As for building a portfolio there, its as simple as just sitting down and creating projects.

Deleted
    Honestly? Yes

Suuuuure it's not impossible to learn it all by yourself, but let's be realistic here. Few people can actually do that.

You require some basic computer schools as for the degree maybe not but, a few college classes in the related area of study could help you. So does knowing the right people for example my dad never got more than a high school degree he became a machinist for the military bases. Eventually he got promoted and they paid him to get more training in many fields and training and what not. So in the end he probably had some work experience comparable to an engineer and he was making like something on the high end of 65k a year.

TLR you can work your way up with some basic skills and the company will help you climb further up (Unless they're dicks).

Deleted

Any ideas?
    You still need some skill at a particular discipline. Most design (not development) courses will have you learning art, programming, maths etc. So yes, you'll still need a portfolio of mods or independent games you've made so they can see you can take an idea from conception, if not a degree. People who go straight into design positions are few, almost all of them either worked in the industry or did a lot of designing things like mods in their own time.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2014-09-06 at 11:20 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    it's not what he started with and it's not limited to these things you mention. That's just a tip of an iceberg. The easiest part.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

My teacher has actually been saying there is a massive shortage in actual coders.
    Most people go into art/animation degrees apparently.

And heck i already have an idea for a videogame i fully believe would, probably be the best game ever made if executed correctly (give me a big budget and full control over a experienced dev team). Otherwise im going to tune my skills and eventually oneday either pitch the game idea or make it myself.

This is exactly what I'm tying to do, I'm all self taught and I'm trying to get in through the art side. Last time I talked with hiring people at blizzard to see where my skills were at they said I was at the senior level of college, but I have no debt. Take a look at my site, and follow me on twitter if you'd like!

My avatar has picture of one of my 3D models. Message me if you want my website link.

Twitter - Vulcan4770
    Last edited by vulcan4770; 2014-09-09 at 04:37 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    My teacher has actually been saying there is a massive shortage in actual coders.
    Most people go into art/animation degrees apparently.
    There's a shortage in "good" coders overall in IT, yes, definitely, you can quite easily get a job as a coder in many companies even if you're terrible at it. Now in video games, things are different, there are very few development jobs available, and so many people want to work in video games that unless you're really good, your chances of making it are low (and making it successfully even less, I know so many people who worked in this field and their company ended up bankrupt and had to find a job outside video games after this)
    Oh, hi.