Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida

Another Misogyny thread

Women only taxis... I thought feminism was about equality not about creating exclusivity for one gender and calling it equal. Have they tried looking into why women don't drive taxis? Imo their sentiment is in the right place, but they are going about it the wrong way.

http://www.thewire.com/business/2014...in-nyc/379799/
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't see how it stands up to a discrimination lawsuit though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Deleted
    No woman I know is afraid of driving taxi. This is crazy. I feel that these people are making women feel scared of the outside world for no reason. A friend of mine a few days back told me about a woman who said she'd only leave the house with a knife, and that when she drove in a taxi, she would have her hand on the knife all the time. This is insane. They are creating paranoid, dangerous people with that mentality. One day you're gonna end up with a knife in the chest for going too close to a woman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Have they tried looking into why women don't drive taxis?
    Long hours, shit lifestyle, awful wages for effort invested, chance of being skimped out and attacked so on so forth.

Not many women are inclined to move into such working environments, some are of course, but the vast majority will be men.

As for the service itself, great, i don't really care much for it.

It's a niche service, if it makes a break through meh, if not it'll wither and die in the face of fierce competition.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Women do drive Taxis. Queen Latifah drove a Taxi in New York.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care that they have their own taxi. What I do care about and wonder is how they plan on getting around discrimination laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I'm guessing that they'll still hire males just not paint the taxi pink...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    If their position was to address an existing imbalance by only hiring women drivers, that might be tenable; they could make the argument that their hiring practices address an industry-wide state of apparent discrimination, and provides a service oriented towards clientele that would prefer a woman driver. That is, in my opinion, reasonable, and at least arguable.

Requiring that at least one passenger be female? That's going too far. There's no increasing swell of violence against women, regardless of how the media's trying to spin it. That doesn't mean we should just accept what violence remains, of course, but it isn't an issue that's getting worse; it's steadily improving. If their concern is their driver's safety, install better security measures between the front and back seats. Heck, we're talking the USA; arm them too. Refusing male passengers, though, seems silly. Give them the right to boot creeps, and the capacity to defend themselves against the increasingly smaller minority who are abusive, and it should be fine, IMO.

Well here in Japan, they have women only trains because they used to get groped and raped on commuter trains going into Tokyo. Seems fair enough.

If there's a big enough market for it, good for them.

If their intent is to "help women" then they're doing the opposite of what's productive for that cause.

Constantly emphasizing how dangerous it is to be a woman encourages women to prefer the company of men who are strongly benevolently sexist; the same men who will abuse them when they fail to live up to their ideal of how the women they help should behave.

If you wanna make life less dangerous for women, the best way to go about doing that is to just make it less dangerous for everyone.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Doesn't sound like Mateo is explicitly claiming equality of sexes or feminism for her reason for doing this, at least according to the article.

She should be fully allowed to pursue the business practices that she cites. Let the market decide whether or not its a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If their position was to address an existing imbalance by only hiring women drivers, that might be tenable; they could make the argument that their hiring practices address an industry-wide state of apparent discrimination, and provides a service oriented towards clientele that would prefer a woman driver. That is, in my opinion, reasonable, and at least arguable.

Requiring that at least one passenger be female? That's going too far. There's no increasing swell of violence against women, regardless of how the media's trying to spin it. That doesn't mean we should just accept what violence remains, of course, but it isn't an issue that's getting worse; it's steadily improving. If their concern is their driver's safety, install better security measures between the front and back seats. Heck, we're talking the USA; arm them too. Refusing male passengers, though, seems silly. Give them the right to boot creeps, and the capacity to defend themselves against the increasingly smaller minority who are abusive, and it should be fine, IMO.
    Endus is my signature too large? I don't want to get infracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Women only taxis... I thought feminism was about equality not about creating exclusivity for one gender and calling it equal. Have they tried looking into why women don't drive taxis? Imo their sentiment is in the right place, but they are going about it the wrong way.

http://www.thewire.com/business/2014...in-nyc/379799/
    From the article they're not calling it part of a feminist movement, nor are they calling all-female cabs equal. It seems more like an attempt to mitigate the effects of inequality rather than do away with it altogether, although mostly it looks like clever marketing.

Did you read the article, or just notice that it mentioned "women-only" something-or-other and assumed it would be about feminism and equality?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a taxi, people need to find something better to complain about.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaskra View Post
    Doesn't sound like Mateo is explicitly claiming equality of sexes or feminism for her reason for doing this, at least according to the article.

She should be fully allowed to pursue the business practices that she cites. Let the market decide whether or not its a good idea.
    Yeah I don't think this is a particularly good thing of like "Fighting sexism!" or anything like that, I think it's just a thing that like, depending where you are, getting a taxi can be unsafe (Whether you are the driver or the passenger), and they are selling it that this is a potentially safer alternative, I suppose. Like, we are told to never ever get into a taxi on your own at night. I'd probably feel a little bit safer getting into something like this (rightly or wrongly) because I imagine most taxi-related violence against women comes from men. Whether that's because simply more dudes drive taxis, or whether men are more likely to kill /assault you in a taxi than women I don't know. I don't even know if it's the case, I just know that getting taxis on my own makes me feel icky, and I would feel less icky getting into a taxi driven by a woman. I suppose there is a danger of like, "false sense of security" or whatever, that might be the case, or maybe it's not needed at all because taxi violence isn't really a thing, just something we hear about in the media, but even if that is the case, I can't just not feel a bit nervous getting into a taxi alone, even if someone told me that it doesn't actually ever happen, and would probably be prepared to pay more for the ability to get into a taxi and not feel nervous. Regardless of how illogical that may be. Whether or not it takes off or not just depends on whether the law allows it, and whether enough people feel the same way to keep the business afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    It's just a taxi, people need to find something better to complain about.
    Like WCS region locks? *wink wink*

- - - Updated - - -

Things like this are really needed in some countries, as for the US... I can't really say. It depends on the area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Like WCS region locks? *wink wink*

- - - Updated - - -

Things like this are really needed in some countries, as for the US... I can't really say. It depends on the area.
    I can't wait to not have to bother watching WCS America because there's no good players until the RO8! Being in the UK it doesn't start until 11pm so fuck that. And then I'll watch the Polt show (I just don't like Violet, it's weird. Those t-shirts holy fuck).

P.s check reddit, the caster list is out for Dreamhack Moscow. Somewhat surprising, but also slightly disappointing just like the lineup.

I agree with you on the certain countries though, I mean places like South Africa maybe such initiatives aren't too bad an idea. Surely it creates a more obvious target though if you know women are going to be concentrated in those areas.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

In India and Japan they have all female train cars. The reason for this is male passengers get frisky and pat butts or worse.

This is something you don't want to have happen to your daughter.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Feminism is such a drained topic though. I'm literally tired of talking about it.

I don't see any point to this taxi service. It doesn't look like a successful business model.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Feminism is such a drained topic though. I'm literally tired of talking about it.

I don't see any point to this taxi service. It doesn't look like a successful business model.
    I don't think this is about feminism really.

And the point of it is to make people feel safer in taxis.