Soloing class/spec?

I have recently been dabbling in SWTOR... yeah I'm late to the game. I have a heal spec'd sith inquisitor I'm enjoying quite a bit but I'm looking into an alt. Maining a hunter and blood DK alt on WoW has given me a taste for being able to solo nearly anything if I try hard enough; is there a class and spec that does this on SWTOR I might be able to toy with as my healer's alt? I've heard bounty hunters are 'easy', likewise warriors, but easy and soloing power are different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would recommend Warrior or Hunter for soloing though the Warrior's class story is much better in my opinion.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Any specific advanced class or spec?

Hunter BM spec is still in my opinion the best solo spec. The pet is so strong, and if a hunter is good enough, will hardly ever get hit by mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by juanmadd76 View Post
    Hunter BM spec is still in my opinion the best solo spec. The pet is so strong, and if a hunter is good enough, will hardly ever get hit by mobs.
    That's funny.

Edit: In case of not trolling, this is a SWTOR class question, in a SWTOR thread on the SWTOR subforum. Not looking for WoW class anything here!

Well The sorc healer is a good class for soloing as you get your tank right off the top, the same can be said for IA Operative. Smugglers also get a tank spec right off the top

Bounty hunters and get a healer right off the start, Merc is a fun dps spec but if you do not keep your healer geared it will get rough at times until you get a good amount of presence from maxing companion affection.

I have soloed most content except H4s in the game with my Commando/merc with dps companions with about 5-6 seconds downtime for healing. You companions can soak up a good bit of damage you just need to take down mobs before they die

So question is do you want to do a tank spec or dps spec?

I haven't the foggiest. Something that can change between them maybe, depending on which set of talents get picked. I think I want to try melee, after running my sorc around at range.

Any class that can heal makes soloing easier in my opinion. When I leveled my Sorc with Khem Val tanking made things easy mode. Even did some group quest content solo.

I really enjoyed the Sorc storyline too.

Merc BH is ridiculously easy to solo with. Combination of getting healer early, self-heals, heavy armor, high damage, easy rotation...you'd have to massively be doing things wrong to screw up as a BH, even solo.

Assassins/Shadows of course get Stealth and Sap, which are boons to soloing...

Trooper is by far the easiest class to solo with (yes it's easier than Merc). On top of everything Stormcall already listed (which the trooper has being the same class and all) - ALL of the Troopers companions use the same gear as you which makes gearing them as you level far easier.

On the other hand any stealth class can skip most boring trash on the way to the objective and do it faster so depends on what you like more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboard View Post
    Any specific advanced class or spec?
    Well for that I would point you at dulfy.net and sithspecs.com. Warriors and Hunters are both easy to solo with but not as easy as playing a healer with a tank companion. Like an Inq Sorc with Khem Val.

As a Hunter you get Mako first, who is a healing companion. So going Mercenary doubles up your healing potential for extra staying power. But Powertech isn't much harder. Of course keep in mind that heal spec companions never do as well as heal spec players. So don't expect to reverse the Sorcerer-Khem Val dynamic and hold up as well when soloing early Heroics.

As a Warrior you get Quinn second as your healing companion. So you are going to have DPS only with your first companion, Vette. This can make soloing early Heroics harder. You don't pick up Quinn until the end of your class story on Balmorra. Now you can double up DPS potential by going Marauder but I've always preferred the look and gameplay of the Juggernaut.

So to compare the two the Hunter does have an easier time soloing early on. Before the companion specs even out. However, the Sith Warrior Class Story is far better then the Bounty Hunter Class Story and when you add the awesomeness that is Korriban, compared to the sewer that is Hutta, on top of it? The Warrior wins.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

With my PT BH, I can solo most 2+ heroics with pretty mediocre gear. Depending on the fight, I'll take Mako, but I prefer Gault. If my companion is going to take damage, I'm going Mako, if not, I don't really need a healer as long as I'm paying attention. The problem with Mercs are, yes they do a good amount of damage, but they are really glass cannons. Best bet as a Merc is to use a tank companion, off heal as best as you can, keep it geared, and blow shit up. But you won't get your first tank companion until level ~35. Personally, I don't really care for that method. I like to get down and dirty.

I haven't played a Warrior, but I have played a Knight. Sentinels are another example of glass cannon, but they have a lot of survivability CDs. Just gotta remember to keep that in mind while using your rotation. Haven't played a Jug/Guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Best bet as a Merc is to use a tank companion, off heal as best as you can,
    That's...in no way the best bet. If you can't stay alive with Mako you are doing something terribly wrong, and you should almost never NEED to offheal.

The problem with Mercs are, yes they do a good amount of damage, but they are really glass cannons. Best bet as a Merc is to use a tank companion, off heal as best as you can, keep it geared, and blow shit up. But you won't get your first tank companion until level ~35. Personally, I don't really care for that method. I like to get down and dirty.

I haven't played a Warrior, but I have played a Knight. Sentinels are another example of glass cannon, but they have a lot of survivability CDs. Just gotta remember to keep that in mind while using your rotation. Haven't played a Jug/Guardian.
    So much wrong here. Heavy armor class with hard cc and offheals is a glass cannon.... there are no words. Best bet for soloing is to play with a healer companion. That goes for any class really unless you really really want to level as healer. You have zero downtime and stuff just melts. Going as a dps with a dps comp seems faster, but you have downtime between groups. Ofc non of this matters if you have Treek. Treek is awesome.

You know Mercs have the same survivability cds as a PT right? And sentinels are the worst class to solo with. By far. There's no discussion there it's just fact.

With my PT BH, I can solo most 2+ heroics with pretty mediocre gear.
    Now imagine if your PT BH was ranged, had a huge knockback, ranged interrupt and a 60 second cc ... yeah you can solo most 4man heroics on merc/trooper.

PT is really not in the running here it's mainly a competition between merc/trooper and stealth classes. (Stealth classes win)
    Last edited by Goshko; 2014-09-11 at 10:46 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    That's...in no way the best bet. If you can't stay alive with Mako you are doing something terribly wrong, and you should almost never NEED to offheal.
    i agree, even as a DPS, your best companion to solo content is always a healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    During questing, I'll agree. However, I don't think that OP was talking about just questing. I think OP was talking about multiple player content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Goshko View Post
    So much wrong here. Heavy armor class with hard cc and offheals is a glass cannon.... there are no words. Best bet for soloing is to play with a healer companion. That goes for any class really unless you really really want to level as healer. You have zero downtime and stuff just melts. Going as a dps with a dps comp seems faster, but you have downtime between groups. Ofc non of this matters if you have Treek. Treek is awesome.

You know Mercs have the same survivability cds as a PT right? And sentinels are the worst class to solo with. By far. There's no discussion there it's just fact.

Now imagine if your PT BH was ranged, had a huge knockback, ranged interrupt and a 60 second cc ... yeah you can solo most 4man heroics on merc/trooper.

PT is really not in the running here it's mainly a competition between merc/trooper and stealth classes. (Stealth classes win)
    Unless something has changed, those are the EXACT words that people used to describe Mercs. Great DPS, but glass cannons with little to no mobility. Also, PTs get Close and Personal, the ability to equip shield generators, Ion Gas Cylinder, and talents to spec into that reduce damage taken.

During questing, I'll agree. However, I don't think that OP was talking about just questing. I think OP was talking about multiple player content.
    OP was talking about soloing, not Raids and PvP. I've been able to solo with the merc no problem, using Mako.

Unless something has changed, those are the EXACT words that people used to describe Mercs. Great DPS, but glass cannons with little to no mobility.
    Glass cannons by definition are fragile and do exactly one thing - damage and have very low defences and/or life. Merc/trooper are very far from fragile, actually they are one of the the most tanky of the dps specs, and can offheal (so there goes the "only one thing" part), so no, they are not class cannons, regardles how bad their mobiility. And you'll be surprised how little mobility matters when questing.

People described Mercs as turrets btw not as glass cannons.

Also, PTs get Close and Personal, the ability to equip shield generators, Ion Gas Cylinder, and talents to spec into that reduce damage taken.
    They do, but playing them like that makes it glacially slow. And it doesn't actually work as it takes more time to kill stuff so they end up taking more damage in the long run especially against larger groups of mobs.

Also going tank with a dps comp as you suggested is the highest downtime of all possible combinations.

(Again, unless you have Treek. Who's awesome.)
    Last edited by Goshko; 2014-09-12 at 05:36 AM.

Lightning Sorcerer is the best soloer. Place your lighting storm over a group of mobs. The normals and weaks will be stunned and when your instant chain lightning buff procs hit chain lightning and boom dead pack of mobs. Send in your tank companion or use a healer, your choice. Best part of all this is there is basicly no cooldown on this. The chain lighting proc has like a 5 sec cd but all you need is one per pack of mobs. By the time you engage your second pack its ready to go.