Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think the assumption of perfect competition is probably one of the biggest misconceptions of modern economics - people, even politicians - are so quick to talk about supply and demand, about market forces instantly reacting to weaknesses - but they never qualify that by discussing the competitiveness of the market.

Perfect competition exists only in theory - in practice - all markets have imperfect competition of varying degrees. ISPs in almost every country are oligopolies - meaning that common economic principles like supply and demand, or market forces do not apply.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

It's troubling, though I'd like to hear a counterpoint to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Why doesn't it happen now? Is there a legal "price cap" on the internet? Other than that, I don't see why ending net neutrality would raise prices.
    First video. The FCC effectively imposed net neutrality, until a recent circuit court ruling decided to put it beyond its jurisdiction.

It's hard to see how it would not raise prices. At best it redistributes them so some people pay more and some pay less.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Eric Schmidt
    Well, first thing since the A-bomb.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    In this instance, it means that the ISPs are legally required to treat all traffic the same.

"Soft law" is basically "We suggest you treat all traffic the same", with the implication that if they don't, laws/regulations requiring it will be put in place.
    Or the market has developed its own guidelines/policies.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    When people start chest bumping about how great we have it here in the USA, my first response is regarding how shitty our internet access is compared to the rest of the world. It's quite literally laughable.
    Compared to parts of Asia and I think Europe, maybe.

I'd kill my own mother for US speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Thank god nothing like this happends in eu/ finland. But wtf why are all american compa ies so money hungry :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NetterMizuno View Post
    Thank god nothing like this happends in eu/ finland. But wtf why are all american compa ies so money hungry :/
    Because being a money grubbing asshole is the american dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.