Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

It will take 3 years to destroy ISIS, U.S. officials estimate.

The U.S. is planning a campaign against ISIS that may take as many as three years of sustained effort to complete, including attacking the self-proclaimed Islamic State’s redoubt in Syria, according to senior officials in the Obama administration. The first phase, which is focused on airstrikes, is already underway. The second phase, which won’t begin until Iraq forms a more inclusive government, will involve intensive training and equipment outfitting of Kurdish fighters, Iraqi military, and possibly Sunni tribes. The third phase will be destroying ISIS sanctuary in Syria. Obama has recently faced criticism from both parties for not having a strong plan to combat ISIS. On Sunday, President Obama told Meet the Press that his plan for ISIS is “not the equivalent of the Iraq War” in which 100,000 troops would be deployed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/wo...=tw-share&_r=2

Not really surprising given how established they are at this point. I'm just trying to decide whether this was a realistic, optimistic, or pessimistic assessment.
    Last edited by diddle; 2014-09-08 at 11:49 PM.

Bombs take 3 years to explode?

Isis will never be destroyed. All ISIS is, is a younger version of the Taliban. The Taliban is losing popularity among the younger people because they feel the Taliban has lost is focus, and have gone weak. ISIS is just the Taliban on roids, and will never go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    Will we be greeted as liberators? Will it pay for itself? Will we be done in six months?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    No, but it takes 3 years to drop enough of them and follow up with (Iraqi) infantrymen with rifles.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    More tactic without strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    This will not end up well..... and the three years is overly optimistic.. Make it more like 10 yrs..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice, I imagined it would take about 3 years. Hopefully its nearly finished by the next time there is a WoW expansion beta.
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!

can we just build a force field around north america and Europe?

Saw a documentary from the victims of their reign of terror...makes me wish we could hire Dr. Manhattan to help us deal with this shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    No, but it takes 3 years to drop enough of them and follow up with (Iraqi) infantrymen with rifles.
    Kurdish militia seem to be more effective than Iraqi military.

Reminds me of the three state solution that they were discussing in 2006-2008 for Iraq. http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...-Could-it-Work
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    And it will take three months for a splinter group to rise up and take their place.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

It doesn't take 3 years to destroy a puritanical, zealous Islamic ideology which has been around in some form since the time of the Kharijites--1300 years ago, and resurrected a hundred years ago to help the Saud family conquer Mecca.

I wager that the Crusaders had a nice, neat plan to destroy the Islamic states that they wanted to destroy too. Didn't seem all that effective in the long run though.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I hope it takes less time, as someone who spent over 3 years boots on ground as Infantry... I personally doubt they will manage to be anywhere near that time frame.
    Just a little question though to our EU posters, does your country cover ISIS or view them as a threat of any sort, and if they do what country? I have few guildies who are across the ocean for various reasons, and in the few conversations we had none of them said they really heard much about it outside the internet, (but once again they were there on work/vacation not actual citizens.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I wager that the Crusaders had a nice, neat plan to destroy the Islamic states that they wanted to destroy too. Didn't seem all that effective in the long run though.
    Doesn't quite parallel.

Crusades - Ignorant religious fundamentalists, backed by rich nobility wanting more wealth, attacking a somewhat pluralistic state, that stabilized after the fall of the Roman empire.

Current international anti-terrorism activity - Global community, tired of the genocidal atrocities, against multiple religious and ethic minorities are mounting a multi-pronged, multi-faceted attack against an ignorant religious fundamentalist group(s) who's calling card is killing unarmed prisoners and posting it on social media sites as an act of psychological terror.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    In DBZ they do.........

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    Just a little question though to our EU posters, does your country cover ISIS or view them as a threat of any sort, and if they do what country?
    It's being covered fairly often here in England. Though this is the same country where for some reason ISIS members and sympathisers are able to post racist hate speech on Twitter but an innocent joke posted at the expense of a minority can result in a regular British citizen getting into a lot of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Doesn't quite parallel.

Crusades - Ignorant religious fundamentalists, backed by rich nobility wanting more wealth, attacking a somewhat pluralistic state, that stabilized after the fall of the Roman empire.

Current international anti-terrorism activity - Global community, tired of the genocidal atrocities, against multiple religious and ethic minorities are mounting a multi-pronged, multi-faceted attack against an ignorant religious fundamentalist group(s) who's calling card is killing unarmed prisoners and posting it on social media sites as an act of psychological terror.
    I'm confident that the Crusaders thought they were morally justified in killing people they viewed as barbarians too.

To be clear, I'm not actually drawing some absurd moral equivalence between civilized nations and ISIS, just pointing out that this isn't exactly the first time that a group of outsiders thought that they could make a productive go of taking out an Islamic empire. The end results just don't tend to be that stellar. I suspect this is because the whole ideology is poison and inevitably has a new head of the snake when you chop the old one off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Crusades - Ignorant religious fundamentalists, backed by rich nobility wanting more wealth...
    Sounds like the Republican party to me....
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)