Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    "past 13 years, there have been 61,998 cash seizures on roadways and elsewhere without use of search warrants. The total haul: $2.5 billion.'"

Thats a lot of cash money to be carrying around legit, isn't it? Thats 40,000$ PER STOP on average? Who carries that much cash around just to be carrying it around? Also, whats with the travel tips at the bottom? "Don't have energy drink cans" uh....ok.

- - - Updated - - -

This seems like a sensationalist article that mixes legit drug cash stops with minor incidents in order to start a kerfluffle/get people mad at police. $40,000 dollars in cash in your car? Yeah, seems something may be off there.
    1. Oh, so it's minor thefts by police. That makes things much better.

2. You appear to be unfamiliar with this whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    You can only bring $10,000 into the US without declaring it at customs so people smuggle money into the US. The cops must be taking non-declared smuggled money or else the Canadians would file complaints and the cops be investigated.

Only guessing.
    That almost sounds like that's it to me.
    Either way, it's a good marketing scam to encourage people to spend locally.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone already said, crossing the border with cash over 10,000 you have to declare. I notice you didn't mention that in your "The american police are TERRIBLE people!" rant.
    You're a towel.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    1. Oh, so it's minor thefts by police. That makes things much better.

2. You appear to be unfamiliar with this whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing.
    1. Not sure how 40g is MINOR theft...
    2. So are the police it seems, as well as the media and possibly the majority of mmochamp posters. Just a guess on that last part
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone already said, crossing the border with cash over 10,000 you have to declare. I notice you didn't mention that in your "The american police are TERRIBLE people!" rant.
    And people are being robbed of considerably smaller amounts by police. Do read the article and find that many of these thefts are much smaller than that.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

What the actual fuck...

It's time for the rest of the first world to collectively withdraw the U.S First World License.

Tho I'm not really surprised. Legal corruption seem have become a cornerstone of American society. Lobby groups, unlimited donations to politicians, tax exempt for profit religious organizations, corporate donations, hiring politicians as soon as they exit office, channeling taxpayer money into defense contractors etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    1. Not sure how 40g is MINOR theft...
    $40k is the mean amount, but the median is $8800 and many are in the hundreds of dollars.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...top-and-seize/

"past 13 years, there have been 61,998 cash seizures on roadways and elsewhere without use of search warrants. The total haul: $2.5 billion.'"

Thats a lot of cash money to be carrying around legit, isn't it? Thats 40,000$ PER STOP on average? Who carries that much cash around just to be carrying it around? Also, whats with the travel tips at the bottom? "Don't have energy drink cans" uh....ok.

- - - Updated - - -

This seems like a sensationalist article that mixes legit drug cash stops with minor incidents in order to start a kerfluffle/get people mad at police. $40,000 dollars in cash in your car? Yeah, seems something may be off there.
    Averages dood.

10+ Year Old Account
    $40k is the mean amount, but the median is $8800 and many are in the hundreds of dollars.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...top-and-seize/
    agree with this, but adding onto it.

it's sooo much easier to track debit/credit card use, ofc they don't want people carrying around cash, so make it un-safe to carry cash???

makes sense to me, we're in a surveillance state plus or minus... people using cash makes it hard for them, so they make it hard to do it,

turn about fair play right?
    (meaning people could tout around 1m on a plastic card and not have to declare it with customs, why make it safe for people to do it with cash?)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

I think its hilarious how people are so afraid of cops. Where I live everyone knows everyone and the local Sheriff is a great guy.

As far as the advice to Canadians, use some common sense, its not a great idea to carry tons of cash on you in any environment.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-09-12 at 03:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you even carry hard cash any more? Anything over like 200$ is just a stupid thing to have in your pocket with no protection.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account

So after the police broke into his house with no search warrant, they found a small amount of pot

"Despite the lack of evidence, the CFO considers Mr. Lloydsmith’s home an instrument of crime. They want to seize it, sell it and dump the proceeds into provincial coffers. They do that sort of thing all the time."

LOL. Dang american policies must be leeching into canada!
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup. Welcome to what happens when we elect Conservatives (and despite the name, the BC Liberal Party are such). The infection spreads.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. Dang american policies must be leeching into canada!
    Yes. The Conservatives have been getting training and assistance from your Republicans.

Yup. Welcome to what happens when we elect Conservatives (and despite the name, the BC Liberal Party are such). The infection spreads.
    Liberals ask for big government, more government... Then hate on authority if its not perfect. lol
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-09-12 at 04:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Liberals ask for big government, more government... Then hate on authority. lol
    We ask for big healthcare, big services, and big support.

Not big military, big police, and big prisons. Those are the Conservative's fetish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you even carry hard cash any more? Anything over like 200$ is just a stupid thing to have in your pocket with no protection.
    i believe there was a law about car insurance, if you had X amount on you, then you wouldn't have to have actual insurance?
    ....been a long time since i'd saw that let me see if i can dig it up.

edit, there's more but simplest article i found
    http://money.msn.com/auto-insurance/...insurance.aspx

msn is a decent news site as well...decent,
    Last edited by Christan; 2014-09-12 at 04:13 AM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

We ask for big healthcare, big services, and big support.

Not big military, big police, and big prisons. Those are the Conservative's fetish.
    Yup those are all government. Both sides selfishly cherry pick. Neither side can actually afford/pay for their utopia in a sustainable way.

At this point I would be happy with less government. Period. Even at my own risk. They are horribly inefficient.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-09-12 at 04:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. The Conservatives have been getting training and assistance from your Republicans.
    You can blame Republicans for assisting your politicians but you can't blame them for the people electing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this is... horrifying.

And I thought our cops had a bad streak.