Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/09...-were-tricked/

They were intimidated into voting "No". I still support their desire to secede.
    And the yes voters were intimidated into voting yes by the campaign of bullying and deluded into voting yes by the lies of the SNP....

And you know what, if you disregard any demographic you dont like, or assume people who disagree with you are stupid....you can win any referendum......

just, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the bagpipes outside my office window. Not bothering me overly much yet, but if I had to listen to them every damn day.... I'm not sure how you Scots working the City Centre in Glasgow handle it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    So tomorrow is my last day in Scotland for this trip, and it's my first day I won't have to work, so I rented a car, and I'm planning on driving into the countryside. I only have one day, but I don't mind driving long distances if need be, and I don't mind getting back into Glasgow as late as 10 PM.

Any suggestions on where I should drive to?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    So tomorrow is my last day in Scotland for this trip, and it's my first day I won't have to work, so I rented a car, and I'm planning on driving into the countryside. I only have one day, but I don't mind driving long distances if need be, and I don't mind getting back into Glasgow as late as 10 PM.

Any suggestions on where I should drive to?
    You could take a trip to the Helix and visit the Kelpies, it's a lovely park and the Kelpies are stunning, you could then take a trip to the Falkirk Wheel

http://www.thehelix.co.uk/things-to-do/the-kelpies/

http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/

Or make a picnic and go for a drive up to The Trossachs, some gorgeous scenery up there, Callander has some nice places to park and enjoy the views.

http://www.incallander.co.uk/trossac....htm#trossachs

There is also a visit to Stirling Castle!

http://www.stirlingcastle.gov.uk/home/experience.htm
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2014-10-03 at 06:32 PM.

I've never been but people always tell me to visit Arran and Oban. I personally really like St Andrews but with the weather being what it is it might not be as awesome as it would be in the summer. Aviemore could be pretty decent and there's always the falkirk wheel which is a little closer to Glasgow than the rest :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    I've never been but people always tell me to visit Arran and Oban. I personally really like St Andrews but with the weather being what it is it might not be as awesome as it would be in the summer. Aviemore could be pretty decent and there's always the falkirk wheel which is a little closer to Glasgow than the rest :P
    Oban and St Andrews are lovely, we used to go up to St Andrews a lot, lovely little high street, and some nice little cafes to sit and while away the hours (my family is originally from John O Groats so we used to make yearly family trips up that way, whole family following one another in around 5 cars all the way up the coast, stopping off here and there along the way- back before the roads and motorways are what they are now, it was all the little B roads, would take around 11 hours travelling to get up there, loved it as a kid )

Deleted
    From a Glaswegian

There is lots going on in the city centre and some great places to eat and chill out at.

Really nice casual places in the centre you can go is we have a Wagamama's (Japanese noodle / soup / curries bar) which is quick, always delivers good food and has a nice atmosphere... good for lunches.
    Also a place called Khubla Khan which is a Mongolian barbeque where you can get all kinds of meats, usual stuff like chicken/beef and more exotic like Kangaroo or Zebra, where you go up to the hot plate and make your dish yourself (including creating the sauce from a table of herbs, spices and oils) and you can watch the chefs cook it infront of you. Casual place aswell, best for a dinner and beside the merchant square in the city centre.

For a more fancy but not overly fancy dinner a really nice restaurant is called the "The Restaurant Bar & Grill" - where you can get some really amazing aged steaks among other things and the restaurant is super cosy and warm atmosphere, can easily spend a weekend meal here for hours with colleagues, and as it gets late, just up the stairs is a really nice cocktail bar with live DJs called "October" which is also has seated areas which are nice and cosy and out of the way if you just want to chill. - All in the Centre of town aswell.

For Drinks a really nice place called "Merchant Square"(inside Merchant City in glasgow centre) in the centre of town is an indoor / outdoor area lined with lots of cosy bars, pubs and restaurants and the whole place has a great atmosphere aswell.

And one of the places I really like to go to for treats and such is a place called "Ashton Lane" which is just a few subway stops away from Glasgow Centre. It is a really old fashioned yet vibrant street, it kinda feels like you just walked onto a movie set, and it's lined with lots of bars, restaurants and my favourite cinema in town.
    The Grosvenor is small and snug cinema with leather seats and lots of room and tables between seats where you can bring Alcohol in from the bar beside and upstairs which is connected to the cinema, which attracts a more mature audience and can guarantee a good experience.

Finally some places to see if you get free time : - Kelvingrove Art Gallery / Kelvingrove Park (Also right beside Glasgow University and pretty close to Ashton Lane)
    Glasgow Science Centre
    Buchanan Street / Buchanan Galleries (Also the street where the Bar & Grill Restaurant is just off)

Hope you enjoy your time here and you can PM for more ideas, overall it's got its highs and it's got its lows. If you know where you're going and what you're doing, you'll love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies, Glitch and Shadow. I'm leaning towards driving up to Fort Williams through Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park, and if it seems like I'm ahead of schedule, I may decide to swing by Oban or head East from Fort Williams to come back to Glasgow through Falkirk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnai182 View Post
    From a Glaswegian

There is lots going on in the city centre and some great places to eat and chill out at.

Really nice casual places in the centre you can go is we have a Wagamama's (Japanese noodle / soup / curries bar) which is quick, always delivers good food and has a nice atmosphere... good for lunches.
    My office is actually next door to Wagamama's, and I ate there 3 times in the last two weeks. It is indeed good.

Also a place called Khubla Khan which is a Mongolian barbeque where you can get all kinds of meats, usual stuff like chicken/beef and more exotic like Kangaroo or Zebra, where you go up to the hot plate and make your dish yourself (including creating the sauce from a table of herbs, spices and oils) and you can watch the chefs cook it infront of you. Casual place aswell, best for a dinner and beside the merchant square in the city centre.
    There's one of these down the street from my office in Houston, but I tend to prefer Ghengis Grill, which is similar, but I think higher quality.

For a more fancy but not overly fancy dinner a really nice restaurant is called the "The Restaurant Bar & Grill" - where you can get some really amazing aged steaks among other things and the restaurant is super cosy and warm atmosphere, can easily spend a weekend meal here for hours with colleagues, and as it gets late, just up the stairs is a really nice cocktail bar with live DJs called "October" which is also has seated areas which are nice and cosy and out of the way if you just want to chill. - All in the Centre of town aswell.
    I'll try this if I get back to Glasgow early enough tomorrow night.

For Drinks a really nice place called "Merchant Square"(inside Merchant City in glasgow centre) in the centre of town is an indoor / outdoor area lined with lots of cosy bars, pubs and restaurants and the whole place has a great atmosphere aswell.
    I've been there a couple times. I really like the atmosphere a lot, but the food was neither here nor there for me. It is the first place I ever tried Haggis though, which wasn't bad.

And one of the places I really like to go to for treats and such is a place called "Ashton Lane" which is just a few subway stops away from Glasgow Centre. It is a really old fashioned yet vibrant street, it kinda feels like you just walked onto a movie set, and it's lined with lots of bars, restaurants and my favourite cinema in town.
    The Grosvenor is small and snug cinema with leather seats and lots of room and tables between seats where you can bring Alcohol in from the bar beside and upstairs which is connected to the cinema, which attracts a more mature audience and can guarantee a good experience.
    My coworker walked me through there the other night, but I was hungry and we didn't want to try to get into the Ubiquitous Chip, so we went onwards without stopping anywhere. Later we went to a bar up Byres road that was in an old converted church, which was pretty freaking awesome.

Finally some places to see if you get free time : - Kelvingrove Art Gallery / Kelvingrove Park (Also right beside Glasgow University and pretty close to Ashton Lane)
    I had a walk through Kelvingrove Park and by the Art Gallery (though we didn't go in) on the same night my coworker took me by Ashton Lane. You're making good suggestions. I just wish I'd had more time to actually stop and experience those places in more detail.

Glasgow Science Centre
    Buchanan Street / Buchanan Galleries (Also the street where the Bar & Grill Restaurant is just off)
    Yeah, hard to miss Buchanan Street. I'm not a big shopper though. Hadn't heard about the Science Center. Sounds like it could be cool if I ever had a lot of time on my hands.

Hope you enjoy your time here and you can PM for more ideas, overall it's got its highs and it's got its lows. If you know where you're going and what you're doing, you'll love it.
    I have indeed, and you make good suggestions.

Deleted
    Dont know if its to late but go here http://www.visitwester-ross.com/corr...loch-gorge.asp . My dads been going hill climbing for the last 40 years so he knows the north of Scotland well, he planned a trip for me and the wife last month and this place really stood out. Scary little bridge across and fantastic view, looks like something out of a film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talv View Post
    Dont know if its to late but go here http://www.visitwester-ross.com/corr...loch-gorge.asp . My dads been going hill climbing for the last 40 years so he knows the north of Scotland well, he planned a trip for me and the wife last month and this place really stood out. Scary little bridge across and fantastic view, looks like something out of a film.
    Unfortunately I only have one day, and it'd probably take me 2 to get there and back from Glasgow.