computer wont shut down

when i press shut down in the start menu my computer wont shut down it gets suck at shutting down with the circle spinning and it doesn't turn off unless i hold down the power button. i re-installed windows thinking i might have downloaded something wrong but while re-installing my drivers it just happened again. oh also the other day i was shutting down my computer and the same thing as above happened and after a few minutes a blue screen poped up and error showed up but it went by so fast i couldnt read what it said, i havent been able to recreate that scenario again so i have no idea whats going on. please help

*Edit* Just got a blue screen again and i caught the error it says "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"
    Last edited by Namegoeshere; 2014-09-13 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobgoon View Post
    when i press shut down in the start menu my computer wont shut down it gets suck at shutting down with the circle spinning and it doesn't turn off unless i hold down the power button. i re-installed windows thinking i might have downloaded something wrong but while re-installing my drivers it just happened again. oh also the other day i was shutting down my computer and the same thing as above happened and after a few minutes a blue screen poped up and error showed up but it went by so fast i couldnt read what it said, i havent been able to recreate that scenario again so i have no idea whats going on. please help
    unplug your tower and carry it to the top of the steps, drop it down a minimum of 10 steps, pick it up, carry it back to your computer room and plug it in, it will work like new, i promise (sorta)

Quote Originally Posted by dnw361988 View Post
    unplug your tower and carry it to the top of the steps, drop it down a minimum of 10 steps, pick it up, carry it back to your computer room and plug it in, it will work like new, i promise (sorta)
    i tried just now and it still doesnt work

15+ Year Old Account
    There should be more to it than "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"

Its a driver issue, which one we dont know without the code such as 0x3, 0x100, or 0x101, etc.

And yea, disregard any idiot that has only to add of "dropping it down the stairs"

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure to download all the updates from Windows update. Usually fixes it for me.

Are you using windows 8? If you are try turning off the "turn on fast startup" setting in your power settings. Mine did this too until I shut it off. Goto control panel >> power options >> then on the left hand side of that window click "choose what the power buttons do." Once you are in there go down to the shut down settings and just uncheck turn on fast startup. Mine hasn't done it since I turned that off.