Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Talking Reversible male birth control is coming

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/l...ould_Know.html

1. It's a shot: Vasalgel is injected into the vas deferens, or the reproductive tube that sperm swim through, so no cuts are made.

2. How it works: When the polymer is injected into the vas deferens, it functions as a blocker for sperm that try to enter the reproductive tube.

3. The effects are long-acting but easily reversed: While Vasalgel is marketed as a long-term birth control method, if a man decides he no longer wants it to be in effect, the polymer is flushed out.

4. It's still being developed: According to a recent press release from the Parsemus Foundation, a nonprofit focused on low-cost medical approaches, studies of the polymer have been progressing successfully. Three baboons have been on Vasalgel for six months and exposed to 10-15 females each, with no occurrence of pregnancy in that time.

5. If proven successful, Vasalgel could change reproductive health as we know it: By blocking sperm at the source - the male - rather than placing the responsibility on the woman's body to play defense, the need for female birth control may shift. Hormonal birth control methods run countless health risks for women, but the Vasalgel polymer does not affect male testosterone in order to do its job, which could make it potentially safer than most female birth control methods.

6. The developers have high hopes for its release: As of September 2014, the company's plan is for clinical trials on humans to begin at the start of 2015, with a target release date sometime in 2017.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the only thing coming hue hue hue.

Wait though I have to have a needle pushed into my penis? Or quite close? That worries me. Sounds great otherwise though.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Nice, so the STD called pregnancy may soon be eradicated forever!

10+ Year Old Account
    Great, 2017? I'll probably be married by then and my biological urge to have kids will be in high gear so I won't have to worry about having a needle stuck in me!
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Wait though I have to have a needle pushed into my penis? Or quite close? That worries me. Sounds great otherwise though.
    No, not into the penis. The surgery is generally similar to how a vasectomy is done (small incision made in the scrotum to expose the vas deferens (the tubes that transport sperm from your testicles)), only they inject this stuff into them rather than cutting them.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    What about STDs lol Already bad enough people thinking pregnancy is the only worry

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh wait. They want to stick a needle WHERE!?

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    What about STDs lol Already bad enough people thinking pregnancy is the only worry
    If you're in a relationship and you both know there's no STDs between you though

Girlfriend taking a pill vs a man needing "surgery"? Guess which option most people will opt for...

Deleted
    Well...

At least we're having a real form of BC being tried and tested, things could occur which might rule it out; But so far it's completely fine.

Kind of sad it's an injectable thing into the nether regions though, that sucks, and i'm curious as to how much it will cost as insurance in the U.S probably won't cover it for some time when it does get released.

The funny thing is that you can take testosterone to make you infertile, and it works.

BUT ITS SCARY TESTOSTERONE A STEROID AND WE CAN'T HAVE OUR MEN BE ALL MUSCLY AND STRONG

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    that was my first thought after reading it too.

you're not gonna stick a needle in my dick!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I'm fairly certain there would be sedatives involved, probably no big deal once it reaches the public.

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    Girlfriend taking a pill vs a man needing "surgery"? Guess which option most people will opt for...
    1. Most women take BC for reasons other than pregnancy prevention.
    2. It's not surgery
    3. I would choose to have this done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vetinari View Post
    The funny thing is that you can take testosterone to make you infertile, and it works.

BUT ITS SCARY TESTOSTERONE A STEROID AND WE CAN'T HAVE OUR MEN BE ALL MUSCLY AND STRONG
    Here's a poster with no understanding of biology and health.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Nice, so the STD called pregnancy may soon be eradicated forever!

It will be eradicated in the upper class, the plebs will still be breeding like rabbits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    1. Most women take BC for reasons other than pregnancy prevention.
    2. It's not surgery
    3. I would choose to have this done.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a poster with no understanding of biology and health.
    Care to explain why most women apparently don't take birth control pills to prevent pregnancy? you know.. to control births...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Care to explain why most women apparently don't take birth control pills to prevent pregnancy? you know.. to control births...
    It makes their periods easier to handle, or so i have been told. I'm not a lady though so i don't know for sure.

Some take them for less periods, some take them for more mild periods, some take them for more regular periods. Don't act like a smart ass when you don't know things.

10+ Year Old Account
    period regulation, make periods less severe, helps with acne breakouts, helps with avoiding ovarian cysts, ect...

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    period regulation, make periods less severe, helps with acne breakouts, helps with avoiding ovarian cysts, ect...
    Thank you Crissi, the point sticks better coming from a female