Not your typical build (laptop upgrade)

Hi there! So i got inspired by this post and i've decided it's time to upgrade once and for all ^^

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-1A9, model nº PSLB9E. Basic specs are:

• Intel Centrino 2 Platform
      CPU: Intel Dual Core T3200 (2Ghz, 667 Mhz FSB, 1 MB L2).
      Chipset: Intel GL40 Express
      Integrated GPU: Intel GMA 4500MHD (1341 MB, PCIExpress 16x)
    • 2+1 GB RAM DDR2 800 Mhz
    • HDD 160 GB 5.400 rpm Serial ATA-2.
    Here there are some cpu-z screenshots if you need it: imgur.com/a/uy4gu (I lol'd when i saw that hyundai ram )

I'd like to keep the upgrade under 200 EUR but i'm flexible. I am buying from Spain. These are the parts i've looked at

• T9300 6M Cache, 2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB --> 58 EUR here
    • 4GB DDR2 800MHz sodimm RAM --> around 55 EUR here, here or for example here
    • MX100 SSD --> around 69 EUR 128GB or 99 EUR 256 GB
    • Cheap heatsink for socket P (478) --> around 10 EUR, i.e. here or here or here

Now my queries:
    • Will all this be compatible? (according to my searching i think so)
    • Do you know any site where i can get cheaper ram? I'd love to get 2x4 GB
    • Is there any problem with the heatsink upgrade? Do you know if socket 775 heatsinks are compatible with 478? I ask because i like Zalman CNPS 8900 (33 EUR) and in its documentation does not support socket 478 but i've read it is compatible (i can't find the link but i swear ) Here is a post explaining the installation of this heatsink. Here is a pic of my motherboard. Would you recommend any particular heatsink or not heatsink upgrade at all?
    • Would you recommend getting a cheaper ssd? Kingston 120GB 58 EUR, Trascend 128GB 57 EUR, AData 128GB 60 EUR. I think i am going to get MX100 256GB but just wondering if there was something wrong with those ssd.

Now, i realize that if a get 8gb ram and 256ssd i get close to 300 eur and for that price maybe i could put together a cheap G3258+H81 build. The thing is i feel like upgrading the laptop is gonna be fun but what are your thoughts? Basically i use the laptop to work and very light gaming. Most of the time i use Catia v5, Solid Works, autocad, corel + Ai cs6 and i'm starting to use rendering and animation software. This is not professional work but university work and believe it or not, these programs work in my pc

If you have any advice or info i should read before doing this please tell me, thanks for reading, cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    I see two problems. Your cpu socket appears to be facing downwards. (meaning you would have to cut a hole in the bottom of the laptop) I'm also guessing a desktop cooler would probably need some kind of custom bracket or MacGyvering to securely attach it. I wouldn't upgrade something that old even if it were a desktop.

As for your potential G3258 + h81 build you need to check the cpu support list on the motherboard you intend to buy as most h81 boards wont accept a haswell refresh chip with whatever uefi version they are shipped with. That being said, unless you know someone with first gen haswell chip willing to let you use it for uefi upgrade you will need to do some research.

just remembered 478 and lga 775 are very different. 478 uses retention brackets and 775 uses locking push pins. Either way the mobile version of those sockets are surely different from desktop counterparts.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2014-09-14 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks a lot for the answer lockblock. I wont buy the cooler for now then.

Thanks again for the warning on the mobo. I was looking at ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 that seems to be compatible with G3258. Anyway, i am not sure yet about if i'm going to upgrade the laptop or build a system from scratch (twice the price).

One thing, if i buy Windows 8 from here, can i upgrade to 8.1 for free?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in case someone cares, this is the cheapest 4GB DDR2 800MHz sodimm RAM i've found, 52 USD, by Kingston:
    http://www.ramght.com/products/So-dimm-tested-cheap-ddr2-memory-ram-4gb.html