Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    So your argument for starting wars that will result in potentially hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths is because some terrorists cut some peoples heads off?

I'm going to pose a blatantly obvious question, what do you think is going to happen in Syria as a result of intervention? We are going to train and arm supposedly 'moderate' groups that will most assuredly massacre all of the factions of Assad loyalists should they win the civil war. Congratulations, you just had a hand in mass murder and ethnic cleansing.

I suppose you don't believe in pointing out hypocrisy, however I feel that if you want to draw conclusions that are not completely based on emotional reactions then you should start with this type of criticism. Too many Americans have a completely warped worldview, and a large reason for that is the media which manipulates people emotionally into supporting idiotic policies.
    There's a lot more to ISIS than simply the beheadings, for one thing, and I never said we should start arming and training the opposition groups in Syria, whom are all far from moderate. They may have started out that way, but opposition groups to Assad's regime in Syria are now every bit as bad as the Assad regime itself, and I don't know anybody who has any illusions otherwise.

You're basically inserting words into my statements in order to support your own arguments.

Also, again, this isn't just about the US, and you'd be best not trying to repeatedly paint it as such.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-2919793...PublicRSS20-sa
    ISIS is a threat to everywhere in the world that there are Muslims, which is... well, basically everywhere. Yeah, they aren't a genuine threat yet, but I'd prefer to nip this in the bud sometime before ISIS spreads its borders across the entirety of the Middle East and into Egypt.

Deleted
    ISIS is only a threat because the rest of the world doesn't want to commit resources to combat it. The UN has been clinically dead for the past 20 years as they do nothing but write angry letters, it's only NATO and the US who try to keep the world from falling into chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravasi View Post
    ISIS is only a threat because the rest of the world doesn't want to commit resources to combat it. The UN has been clinically dead for the past 20 years as they do nothing but write angry letters, it's only NATO and the US who try to keep the world from falling into chaos.
    This is somewhat my concern honestly. That ISIS will be allowed to grow, mostly unchecked, until it occupies all of Iraq and Syria, has the foothold required to push into Iran/Pakistan/Afghanistan and more, and it won't be until it reaches fucking Egypt and/or begins attacking Israel that more action will be taken, and by then it'll be too late to avoid a massive scale war.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Global = everywhere but Sweden
    Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3e64sosEg

"If I'd written all the truth I knew for the past ten years, about 600 people - including me - would be rotting in prison cells from Rio to Seattle today. Absolute truth is a very rare and dangerous commodity in the context of professional journalism."

Sing it Hunter!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

This is why we need to promote and advance Science as much as we can. We also need to come together and help awake the people that still fall for that looney magic-wand "I have the answers to it all" creationists bullshit!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    This is somewhat my concern honestly. That ISIS will be allowed to grow, mostly unchecked, until it occupies all of Iraq and Syria, has the foothold required to push into Iran/Pakistan/Afghanistan and more, and it won't be until it reaches fucking Egypt and/or begins attacking Israel that more action will be taken, and by then it'll be too late to avoid a massive scale war.
    How is that ever going to happen? They murder far to many people to ever get a stable country going, when they become to big they will succumb to infighting, will have to spend much resources keeping the population in check instead of fighting elsewhere, etc. Aside from that where are they ever going to get enough power projection from to be a serious threat to say Iran, let alone a western country. I mean they would need a airforce and tanks to wage conventional war against Iran, doubt russia/china/usa is gonna supply those.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2014-09-14 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    How is that ever going to happen? They murder far to many people to ever get a stable country going, when they become to big they will succumb to infighting, will have to spend much resources keeping the population in check instead of fighting elsewhere, etc. Aside from that where are they ever going to get enough power projection from to be a serious threat to say Iran, let alone a western country.
    Somehow the idea that ISIS literally murders too many people to keep a stable country going doesn't really make me not want to see the rest of the world stop them.

And they primarily would get that power from captured hardware and by fostering sectarian violence in individual villages, I'd think. ISIS does not strike me as a group that would shy away from chemical warfare for example, so imagine what would happen if they captured basically all of the military goods in Syria? I don't doubt for a minute that, had they capability (AKA artillery hardware and the missiles needed) that they would hesitate to use chemical weaponry in their campaign.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2014-09-14 at 05:44 PM.

Neat quote from a nation hating, atheistic, drug addict, who eventually offed himself.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerbleeder View Post
    This is why we need to promote and advance Science as much as we can. We also need to come together and help awake the people that still fall for that looney magic-wand "I have the answers to it all" creationists bullshit!
    Can people please stop stereotyping all religous people?

I'm a christian - I'm not a creationists. I have no problem with the theory of evolution - as has the biggest church in the world (Yes the catholic church doesn't negate evolution). The catholic church and other protestant churches are funding schools, universities and science programs. A wast number of nobel prize winners are selfidentifying christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...obel_laureates

Stop stereotyping and creating strawmen - thank you.

15+ Year Old Account
    How so? We seems to accept a huge part of the refugees.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    So your argument for starting wars that will result in potentially hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths is because some terrorists cut some peoples heads off?

I'm going to pose a blatantly obvious question, what do you think is going to happen in Syria as a result of intervention? We are going to train and arm supposedly 'moderate' groups that will most assuredly massacre all of the factions of Assad loyalists should they win the civil war. Congratulations, you just had a hand in mass murder and ethnic cleansing.

I suppose you don't believe in pointing out hypocrisy, however I feel that if you want to draw conclusions that are not completely based on emotional reactions then you should start with this type of criticism. Too many Americans have a completely warped worldview, and a large reason for that is the media which manipulates people emotionally into supporting idiotic policies.
    Hi, I'm from Europe and i honestly think Isis is something that needs to be destroyed. No mercy, no sympathy, just give them 1000lbs of pure fucking democracy wrapped into steel casing. Like glue, democracy needs a rough surface, like shelled city, to attach properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Somehow the idea that ISIS literally murders too many people to keep a stable country going doesn't really make me not want to see the rest of the world stop them.

And they primarily would get that power from captured hardware and by fostering sectarian violence in individual villages, I'd think. ISIS does not strike me as a group that would shy away from chemical warfare for example, so imagine what would happen if they captured basically all of the military goods in Syria? I don't doubt for a minute that, had they capability (AKA artillery hardware and the missiles needed) that they would hesitate to use chemical weaponry in their campaign.
    Exactly. ISIS right now may not be some massive threat but if not taken care of, could become a big problem down the line due to their extremism. If allowed to go unchecked and capture higher grade of military hardware and technology, they would absolutely use it regardless of consequences.

Ideally, they should be taken care of sooner rather than later. Everyone is waiting on Iraq to handle it themselves but in the mean time, ISIS is growing and trying to recruit from all over the world. How long will it take before more direct intervention is necessary? Does Iraq, Syria, and most of the middle east need to completely fall first? Do Israel and Egypt need to be directly threatened? Because if so, congratulations you're waiting for things to require an otherwise avoidable war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    As usual, The Onion absolutely nails it: "Obama Vows To Split ISIS Into Dozens Of Extremist Splinter Groups"
    Declaring that the terrorist organization’s actions can no longer be ignored, President Obama vowed Wednesday that the United States would use precision airstrikes for as long as needed to ensure that ISIS is divided into dozens of extremist splinter groups. “ISIS poses a significant threat to U.S. interests both overseas and at home, and that is why we are committed to a limited military engagement that will fracture the terrorist network’s leadership and consequently create a myriad of smaller cells, each with its own violent, radical agenda,” said Obama during a prime-time address to the nation, stressing that any campaign to transform the group into a patchwork of volatile jihadist factions will not be performed unilaterally, but rather with the support and cooperation of key allies in the region.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    That guy was a fucking dickhead
    He was a meanie?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Neat quote from a nation hating, atheistic, drug addict, who eventually offed himself.
    Why throw in 'atheistic'? Just to bash it?

Quote Originally Posted by aoussar123 View Post
    We are not "at war with Islam". The conflict in the middle-east did not start on 9/11, but long before. Also, like Christianity, Islam is not monolith. Also, ISIS kills muslims too. Can we stop fueling all these phobic thought? Not healthy.

OT: For once, I support a western intervention when it comes to ISIS. Those guys are beyond redemption.
    And that would be called "playing into their hand". How obvious do they have to bait for someone to notice that it's baiting SOMEONE to come and pick a fight? This isn't going to end well.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    How so? We seems to accept a huge part of the refugees.
    Ya no kidding. I dont think he understands its more about rate of change over time, not just right now. Sweden avoided trouble in WW2, but that was a long time ago and any place could be the next hotbed for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerbleeder View Post
    It really is all about education. In the case of Muslims, more so about education for women.

---

As far as religions, I don't really like them and I'm not a fan of most atheists overall attitudes. Some of us just want to live life without hearing about unverified sky gods. Also atheist can be pretty dogmatic themselves, especially for a group equally incapable of scientifically disproving deities.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-09-14 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Why throw in 'atheistic'? Just to bash it?
    I threw it in because it is an accurate description of the man.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Still brilliant.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarcraftStroies/

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

10+ Year Old Account

The "moderate factions" have publicly stated exactly what you said: "Syrian Rebels: We’ll Use U.S. Weapons to Fight Assad, Whether Obama Likes It or Not". But it gets 'better' (aka. much worse); part of the US-backed "moderate" and "secular" Free Syrian Army has signed up with al-Qaeda's local franchise: "FSA brigade 'joins al-Qaeda group' in Syria".
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)