Thread: Buy expansions?

15+ Year Old Account

Buy expansions?

I had an sudden urge to play SWTOR again, i played it for some time when it was first release but stopped (3months), and here i am again, to enjoy the game do/should I buy the expansions early on or just wait till i hit max lvl and then buy em?

Cheers
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Best option, Sub for a month and the expansion is included free, and gives you a permanent preferred status after that.

15+ Year Old Account
    ty for fast answer, bought 2 months, to keep me busy until Warlords is out ^^
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

I'm curious if it will play out the same way for the coming one, Deadly Forces. If there isn't a significant amount of content to launch with and it has a buy-in price like the Hutt Cartel, I can imagine a lot of preferred people or those on the fence about current content just waiting until it goes into the same "one month sub and it all unlocks" mode. Or maybe it will just be free, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Gelda82 View Post
    I'm curious if it will play out the same way for the coming one, Deadly Forces. If there isn't a significant amount of content to launch with and it has a buy-in price like the Hutt Cartel, I can imagine a lot of preferred people or those on the fence about current content just waiting until it goes into the same "one month sub and it all unlocks" mode. Or maybe it will just be free, who knows?
    *cough* I'm hoping free for subs *cough*

I'm not holding my breath though lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gelda82 View Post
    I doubt they'll do any more paid expansions. I think they've realized that giving subs early access is a better idea as it doesn't permanently segregate the community but still provides a ton of benefits/incentives to subscribe, or at least be preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    ty for fast answer, bought 2 months, to keep me busy until Warlords is out ^^
    I hopped off, just slowly got tired of it, and resubbed to the WoW for a couple months to lead up to Warlords, then i'm out (I won't fight more Horde Legends). I'll either resub to SWTOR (haven't even logged on free to check out Strongholds) or give ArcheAge a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I doubt they'll do any more paid expansions. I think they've realized that giving subs early access is a better idea as it doesn't permanently segregate the community but still provides a ton of benefits/incentives to subscribe, or at least be preferred.
    I think they learned the lesson that giving limited access to content to everyone results in more revenue as a whole. It took 2 years, but they got there in the end.
    BAD WOLF

If they do charge for their expansion, I hope they at least offer it for Cartel Coins, but give it to subscribers for free.

Yeah, the early access perks are doing a fantastic job at conning me into subscribing for new features <_<
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

All I remember is them withholding the first content patch and calling it an expansion and then expecting me to pay for it. That's when I quit playing. So you're saying they aren't charging for the expansions anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by RatFanatic View Post
    All I remember is them withholding the first content patch and calling it an expansion and then expecting me to pay for it. That's when I quit playing. So you're saying they aren't charging for the expansions anymore?
    ?

Granted they kinda went back and forth on whether or not Makeb would cost money, but Makeb was never the "first content patch". The first few content patches were delivered for free and on time. It was everything after that where they ran into problems.

I could see how you feel that way if you were a City of Heroes player at launch, I remember them raising the level cap by 10 and adding new high-end zones and enemy factions, plus the Peacebringer/Warshade alien classes in the first 2 or 3 patches. It felt HUGE for free, and Cryptic was okay with it since they intended to have that stuff early on or at launch and it just didn't make it on time. Plus they seemed to have Villains in mind for the real paid expansion. They were just a more ambitious development team than BioWare in my opinion. I'm sure the subject matter(more personal creative control) and different fanbase(comic fans are far more forgiving for bad/strange writing and design) helped immensely.

At the time, I know a lot of my SWG friends jumped ship to CoH when the NGE and CU patches hit and ruined their game experience, mostly because it was as close to the sci-fi genre as they could get and still have a quality experience, so I'm sure when SWTOR launched and COH closed shortly after, many moved again in the same direction.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I often find communities are much better off without people like you. So thanks for quiting.

They did flip flop in it but what I have played, it was worth the $10 - $20. Much better than some full priced expansions I have paid more for.