Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Goldfish survives Brain Operation

With all the doom and gloom around the world here is some happy news about a goldfish who survived brain surgery thanks to vets successfully removing a tumour from its brain.

http://www.bbc.com/news/29210991

I think this is the most awesome thing i have ever heard and im glad the operation went "Swimmingly" LOL

I think the thing that shocked me the most is just how old a goldfish can get. I had no idea they could live up to 40-some years old. Now I feel horrible for my two goldfish that died off at only 7 years
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

10+ Year Old Account
    A gold fish........... I can see doing this for a Koi fish, but a gold fish?

Orangie's pretty fucking tough.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    A gold fish........... I can see doing this for a Koi fish, but a gold fish?
    For $200 on a 10 y/o fish that can live for 20 more years? Yeah I'd actually consider it. I was shocked it was so cheap. I was expecting multiple $1000s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fishy!!!!!
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

When my girlfriend showed me this my heart melted, what a cute little old lady. Best friend is a gold fish, surgery was only 200$ too!

I expected that to be a lot more money. Didn't know goldfish could live that long, and i really didn't know vets would actually perform brain surgery on one.

i hope the operation doesn't affect the goldfishes long term memory LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sporebat View Post
    i hope the operation doesn't affect the goldfishes long term memory LOL
    The four second thing is an urban myth. Goldfish can actually recognize faces and will become more active when their feeder approaches the tank than a random person.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Why were they trying to save a goldfish? What a waste of time and money...
    Fish are people too. They deserve healthcare, if the close ones can pay for it.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

To be fair, I think what is/isn't a waste of money is relative.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    To be fair, I think what is/isn't a waste of money is relative.
    I feel like it would be more worthwhile to use it on a pet cat or dog or bird, but whatever. It's not like that just because a goldfish has a surgery, no other animal can get a similar surgery at the same time--the world doesn't just stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

To be honest who here has had a goldfish last more than six months let alone nearly 30 years!

But to be fair most of my goldfish i had as a kid was won at those hook-a-duck stalls at those shitty fairs and we all know how badly those fairs treat those fishes back in the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life is never a waste of time or money.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    So I guess this is where you'll tell us which pets are actually worthy of being loved, right? Is it OK to get attached to a dog? A cat? What about a parrot? A rat? A hamster?

A fish you've taken care of for 10 years isn't worth saving, because you shouldn't get attached to fish. Even if you do keep the same fish as your pet for a full decade? That is what you're saying, right?

What about pet rocks? Teddy bears? Imaginary friends?

10+ Year Old Account
    "The operation went swimmingly" Whoever decided on saying this should kill them self right now.

Deleted
    We already have a treatment for goldfish with brain tumors! Its called flushing!

jk, good job vets

Why were they trying to save a goldfish?
    Aside from the fact that surgery like this can help us learn more about brain tumors? Just for shit and giggles probably.

Deleted
    I think it is awesome that there are people like you that can tell other people what they should waste their time and money on

I am happy for the owner and the fish!

That's great, that fish have the right to live to.