Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Next Total War Title To Be Announced at EGX London 2014

I know alot off you where as disappointed in Rome 2's release as me, it's a enjoyable game now though after 14-15 patches or so but it's already time for CA to announce the next one in the serie.

So there is alot off rumors going on that it will be a Warhammer Fantasy based game this time around, and if that's true it's amazing CA is the right ones to make a great game based on the fantasy ip focusing on large scale warfare between highly customizable armies. I think Medieval 3 is also a great contender for the next game or perhaps a new era.

Here is some proof or rumors about Warhammer http://whec-assets-live.s3.amazonaws...e76481c627.jpg

And a quote i found that looked interesting

CA has recently stopped publicly supporting the Medieval 2 Warhammer mod on the fan website for modders, but GW has wisely decided not to "fox" them, same for Sega; Sega may be a company with questionable monetization and bad customer service, but they don't shoot themselves in the foot if they can help it. Technically being a Medieval 2 mod and being in possession of the licence, it's a "legal" mod anyway.

The community managers/rally point presenters have been shifted around and the previous guys are now part of another team.

CA has "4" known teams (the studio has approximately ~300 staff); Although part of the Shogun 2 team is working on Alien: Isolation, the rest of that team is in fact working on an "unannounced project". The other 2 teams are working on Rome 2 DLC/patches and Arena respectively. The vast majority of the Rome 2 devs were shifted to work on Arena.

Meaning there is a large chunk (a good ~50+ people) who seem to be "not doing anything", yeah their actually working on the unannounced project.
    Sega Acquired the licence 3 years ago, judging by the "standard" development cycle for PC games being 2 to 3 years, now sounds about the right time for an announcement of it's release.

4 sources of leaks (including a confirmation ) including a phone photo sneaked out by a member of the press of a Warhammer title being listed on the games in production under the world builder in 2013.

So what do you think will be the next one or what game do you want it to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Subduer View Post
    After the last Total War game and how unstable and unfinished it's release was... I'm not sure I could be convinced to buy any new Total War titles anymore, even if it would be about an amazing IP such as Warhammer...
    True but it was also Sega's fault for pushing release when the game was not finished.

Deleted
    Always maks me smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ravasi View Post
    Always maks me smile
    Angry Joe is my favorite youtuber, love his reviews.

Deleted
    Warhammer is a perfect fit for the Total War franchise - both tactically with such massive unit diversity (no problem of "line infantry" dominating) and strategically with multiple independent factions of roughly equal power but varied army composition (infantry heavy, missile heavy, cavalry heavy etc).

Much as I love historical games, removing the anchor to history might free up the game to be more fun (some settings like Napoleon Total War can feel constrained because of the difficulty of one European faction steamrollering the others in reality). I like the TW sandbox style, but think they need to spice it up now with something like more quests and/or character levelling. They have elements of both already, but the Warhammer setting would fit well with expanding these.

The M2TW Warhammer mod done by some Russian fans was very promising, although I found it a little lacking in stability.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Warhammer is a perfect fit for the Total War franchise - both tactically with such massive unit diversity (no problem of "line infantry" dominating) and strategically with multiple independent factions of roughly equal power but varied army composition (infantry heavy, missile heavy, cavalry heavy etc).

Much as I love historical games, removing the anchor to history might free up the game to be more fun (some settings like Napoleon Total War can feel constrained because of the difficulty of one European faction steamrollering the others in reality). I like the TW sandbox style, but think they need to spice it up now with something like more quests and/or character levelling. They have elements of both already, but the Warhammer setting would fit well with expanding these.

The M2TW Warhammer mod done by some Russian fans was very promising, although I found it a little lacking in stability.
    I doubt it will be something as cool as Warhammer. It's more likely it will be yet another "historical" game

They lost a huge amount of goodwill with me with Rome 2.

But an official warhammer total war game... nngh... if that actually happened, I wouldn't be able to resist.

The TW series is perfect for fantasy titles like warhammer.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

When is the EGX thing?

I'm not convinced by the idea of a Warhammer game by CA, that is if they use their Total War engine. It just doesn't seem good enough for an IP with quite a large focus on hero units and magic. If they use a new engine or largely modify the existing one, then maybe it can work. I definitely enjoyed Rome 2, so I'll probably still grab their new game anyways, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    When is the EGX thing?
    Full schedule here http://www.egxlondon.net/whats-on/schedule

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    I'm not convinced by the idea of a Warhammer game by CA, that is if they use their Total War engine. It just doesn't seem good enough for an IP with quite a large focus on hero units and magic. If they use a new engine or largely modify the existing one, then maybe it can work. I definitely enjoyed Rome 2, so I'll probably still grab their new game anyways, though.
    Yeah i would love a new engine, dont know how much more they can upgrade the warscape engine.

I realize it's only been a year, but they've already said that they'll have extensive beta testing going forward, so hopefully we're still a couple of years out from release of it. 2½-3 years isn't that unusual between game releases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fool me once, Empire, shame on you. Fool me twice, Rome II, shame on me. Fool me three times? I don't think so.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Yep for these reasons I am hoping it will be a warhammer title. DoW just wasn't my thing, Total war just seems to have a natural feel for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Fool me once, Empire, shame on you.
    Strangely, Empire is my most played game on Steam by a mile. I scarcely loaded it up in the first year of release, but over time with patches, it's a diamond in the rough. The scale is pretty awesome and I love the naval battles.

Fool me twice, Rome II, shame on me.
    Rome II seems a pretty solid game now; it's just for me, the formula may be wearing thin. Need some stuff like more quests/missions and character leveling to keep me playing.

Fool me three times? I don't think so.
    Only fooled two times? I've bought every TW from its inception with Shogun. And every new title, there's been people vehemently protesting how the series has gone down hill. (Not to say they don't have a point, but it's almost like it's part of growing old - you come to outgrow the TW franchise.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sarcasm Mode Activated

Well I hope they are able to improve the AI as much as they did for Rome 2!

Sarcasm Mode Deactivated

Fantasy:

Reality:

Last edited by SirRobin; 2014-09-16 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Yeah I'm still pissed about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Fool me once, Empire, shame on you. Fool me twice, Rome II, shame on me. Fool me three times? I don't think so.
    I might be an odd one when it comes to total war but i actually thinks Empire is among the top in that franchise at this point.

Only fooled two times? I've bought every TW from its inception with Shogun. And every new title, there's been people vehemently protesting how the series has gone down hill. (Not to say they don't have a point, but it's almost like it's part of growing old - you come to outgrow the TW franchise.)
    Outgrow the TW franchise? Then why aren't we equally bored by the older titles? It's not the franchise, it's the direction it is taking.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    On a just not ready for launch scale those two titles stand head, shoulders, torso, naughty bits, thighs, and knee caps, above the rest for me. Yet Rome II even managed to step up CA's game from embarrassingly not ready for launch to humiliatingly so.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I'm a little surprised over how disgusted with CA I still am.

So if they announce a launch date are they going to give us a worth buying date too? What do you think, one year, two, after launch?

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    I might be an odd one when it comes to total war but i actually thinks Empire is among the top in that franchise at this point.
    Me also, the only thing that is a letdown is the AI does not negotiate the forts well and it just seems to be a little too ace with artillery accuracy. The way the battle tactics evolve over time as technology is researched is rather profound imo.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    It became decent after a while, but it did suck at launch.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget the multiplayer campaign option they first promised for launch, then a month after launch, and then it never left beta testing.