Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for a TV

Hello fellow MMO,ers
    I'm in the lookout for a new TV for my room and I don't need a "smart" one as I will most likely be using either my small computer to play through HDMI or I will be getting myself an apple-tv because I got mostly Apple things.
    So what am I really looking for?
    A 50 Inch or bigger screen(Not plasma, had bad occurences in the past). I would like to have an MHL but it's not necessary at all. Ambilight won't be necessary.
    I have a budget of about $1400, I live in Sweden!
    Throw your suggestions at me, thanks

http://store.sony.com/50-diag-r550a-...EOL-Sony-HDTVs

I like it because

A) I own one
    B) It has a butt load of hdmi ports (4...which is a buttload when almost everything I was shopping for only had 2)

C,D,E,F...) has wifi, dynamic backlighting thingy where it shuts off appropriate led's to make darks darker, and has pretty damn good picture.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just going to note that DCR aka Dynamic Contrast Ratio is 99% of the time, useless or just not functional. The only LEDs that you can find with the potential of doing 'portions' of the LEDs are either OLEDs or RGB LEDs (even these are dubious and not to be confused with GB/GB-r LEDs).

Plasmas are still the best TV available, but soon they will no longer be available.
    Don't let a bad experience from a decade ago influence your decision.
    They have always been rated the best, and you will get the most "bang for your buck".

The "soap opera" effect from LED/LCD nearly makes me nauseous.

1 month necro mate I already bought a TV ended up with LGs 55UB830V, and Plasma really isn't that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduro View Post
    Plasma really isn't that good.
    Depends. They need more thinking-about, but they actually have good picture quality compared to LCD TVs.

I still use my Panasonic Plasma from 3 years ago. Nothing now still even comes close to it's PQ aside from another plasma. I would know, I use LCD/LED TV's in my other rooms, but my main TV will always be a Plasma if a good panel is still available.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plasmas are getting phased out sadly. The only thing comparable to a Plasma in terms of color gamut is an RGB LED (not GB or W LED) as it's pretty much the same as a Plasma LED with each pixel having it's own R G B LEDs. However just like Plasma, it's heavy and suffers from the same increase electrical consumption. It doesn't really have issues with lower / increase in outside pressure but I hope you're not bringing up a TV into the mountains anyways. Doesn't have the increase chance of shimmering as it ages also. Only Samsung and HP have made these and Samsung discontinued them.
    Other alternative is OLED.
    Maybe Sharps' IGZO stuff may prove some other alternatives / improvements for TVs.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-10-19 at 08:15 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Titheon View Post
    The "soap opera" effect from LED/LCD nearly makes me nauseous.
    Pretty sure you're referring to the 120Hz LED TVs. It's just the tv playing in a higher refresh rate. This option can be turned off in the settings. I hate it as well and for some reason most people tell me they don't notice the difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some higher refresh rate TVs has a flicker effect to reduce motion blur, which actually might be the issue, not the higher refresh rate. Then again it depends on the person.

Dynamic Contrast Ratio has no function. It is a number made up by the manufacturers to show how big of a dick they have. Look to the Contrast Ratio number. Some manufacturers call it Real Contrast Ratio.

Dynamic Backlighting is a function of some LCD TVs.

The two are totally different animals. Please don't confuse the two.
    Also, Plasma TV do not have LEDs in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Just going to note that DCR aka Dynamic Contrast Ratio is 99% of the time, useless or just not functional. The only LEDs that you can find with the potential of doing 'portions' of the LEDs are either OLEDs or RGB LEDs (even these are dubious and not to be confused with GB/GB-r LEDs).
    - - - Updated - - -

The "Soap Opera" effect is nothing more than the settings of the TV being set to extremes. Adjust your settings for those more adequate to a home and not a show room floor and you'll be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

And if you want your mind really blown....
    TVs do not have motion blur at all. Not one TV has motion blur. Your eyes cause the blur.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why you're quoting me, my post has nothing to do with Plasma until the 2nd to last one.

Also all LCDs do have a certain motion blur. Mostly because of the pixel response time. However the more notable isn't really the pixel response time but how long an image is sampled and held. This is why ULMB / MBR or Eizo 240Hz works.

There's a difference between motion blur and perceived motion blur, yes. However it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-10-19 at 11:44 PM.

I quoted you because you mention DCR as a function. It is not a function. I mentioned the other stuff because I didn't feel like quoting everything you said that was wrong.
    The plasma thing was just a small thing where you said Plasma LED so I didn't feel the need to quote that. But you understood what I was saying anyways while trying to pick apart my correcting your mis-information.

And you're missing the point of my comment about motion blur. Yes TVs have a PERCIEVED motion blur, even plasma. But in actuality the blur you 'see' on TVs is cause by YOUR eyes and not the TV. So the TV does not produce the 'blur'. The TV shows each individual frame as intended without an ounce of blur. Your eye blurs the image.
    I'll just leave out how every picture you see on a TV or monitor is produced by an optical illusion.

Much of the content also has motion blur.
    I can't watch TV-things that tries to 'auto-correct' motion blur. I get and nauseated - and I don't get any type of other motion sickness (apart from the world spinning when I have a fever and the world is spinning, I guess?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GGA1759 View Post
    I quoted you because you mention DCR as a function. It is not a function. I mentioned the other stuff because I didn't feel like quoting everything you said that was wrong.
    I guess this isn't a thing?
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/advanced...mic%20contrast
    The plasma thing was just a small thing where you said Plasma LED so I didn't feel the need to quote that. But you understood what I was saying anyways while trying to pick apart my correcting your mis-information.
    I didn't put a comma, which would be why you read it as such.
    The only thing comparable to a Plasma in terms of color gamut is an RGB LED (not GB or W LED) as it's pretty much the same as a Plasma> , < LED with each pixel having it's own R G B LEDs.
    And you're missing the point of my comment about motion blur. Yes TVs have a PERCIEVED motion blur, even plasma. But in actuality the blur you 'see' on TVs is cause by YOUR eyes and not the TV. So the TV does not produce the 'blur'. The TV shows each individual frame as intended without an ounce of blur. Your eye blurs the image.
    So I guess these don't exist?
    Courtesy of TFTCentral

I'll just leave out how every picture you see on a TV or monitor is produced by an optical illusion.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-10-20 at 01:41 AM.

Let me explain this again. Dynamic Contrast Ratio IS A SPECIFICATION NOT A FUNCTION. Specification != Function of a TV.

Apparently those pictures exist. But what are they? Separate images on the screen. 'Ghost' images. What are you trying to say they are?

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me explain this again. Dynamic Contrast Ratio IS A SPECIFICATION NOT A FUNCTION. Specification != Function of a TV.
    Guess you're going to play semantics at this point.
    Apparently those pictures exist. But what are they? Separate images on the screen. 'Ghost' images. What are you trying to say they are?
    It's called Motion Blur. It may be a strange concept to you, but that's what happens when you have a slow transition between two pixels. This is more common with LCDs because their transition is the slowest of all display types (CRT, OLED and Plasma).

Deleted
    Makes you wonder why there's no lightboost on LCD TVs yet. Guess it's kind of irrelevant for TV's. :P

10+ Year Old Account

You know that LCD and plasma TV's are not the "motion picture machines" of yore, right? There is an actual technology and delay in pixel switching that can cause a blur that is not an optical illusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelled View Post
    Makes you wonder why there's no lightboost on LCD TVs yet. Guess it's kind of irrelevant for TV's. :P
    Well, actually there are.
    http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/exist...ng-backlights/
    http://www.blurbusters.com/new-sony-...st-equivalent/

I've never used these before though so I don't know how they fare to my Eizo 240Hz boost one.