Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Let me rephrase the question so that the answer is more obvious:

Is it ok for <insert adult> to hunt while they <insert condition>?

Answer: Yes.
    Is it okay to put yourself at risk when directly responsible for the well being of another person?

Not out of necessity, but out of thrill seeking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Either extreme? Why not just take it in moderation. Don't go out hunting and doing risky things, but don't be locked up either.
    What's risky? Hunting is risky, skydiving is risky. Driving a car is also risky and standing on a hill in a thunderstorm is risky. We don't neccesarily ban women from tons of risky stuff while they are pregnant and it's virtually impossible to draw a fair line and say "anyhting more risky than this isn't okay, anything less risky is okay" because for one, it's ridiculous, where do you draw that line. Suppose we decide that line is, say, in betwen driving a car and crossing a road, isn't it ridiculous to say "well, you are okay to cross the road, but this slightly more risky thing, driving a car, isn't okay" For two, risk differs from person to person. For someone who is a guitarist in a death metal band, performing music may be quite risky, while for someone in the london philharmonic orchestra, not so much. Thirdly, you can't possibly find all the activities above a certain danger level and write them into law, how would you even determine that and how would you put that into a law that it was possible to follow. It would be a nearly bottomless list that no one could possibly know everything on it, and thus would be unenforcable anyway as if someone did something on that list, no judge would punish them for it if they just said "well, sorry I didn't memorise your list of 300,000 activities that I am unable to do while pregnant, I only got 2000 into the list so far, so didn't get to the part that covered "enlisting in the french foreign legion" yet". And it makes no sense to criminalise one activity, but not other more dangerous activities just because they are less popular, so an exhaustive list WOULD be required. And if we aren't talking about criminalising things then what does it matter anyway because even though you may disapprove, she would still be free to do as she wishes.

Let me rephrase the question so that the answer is more obvious:

Is it ok for <insert adult> to hunt while they <insert condition>?

Answer: Yes.
    You probably shouldn't hunt while on probation for a felony charge

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    when directly responsible for the well being of another person?
    That's some pretty dangerous words, there. I'm going to leave my opinion out of it. The point of my original post is that nobody has a say in what any adult can legally do, regardless of what condition they're in. There was a gif of a 90-100 y.o. man doing the ice bucket challenge on another site and someone expressed concern that someone their age shouldn't be doing that. That's an absurd comment since that man is an adult and no one has any right to say they can't do that. This woman hunting is the exact same thing. It's nobody's place to decide if she should be hunting or not.

Deleted
    That's some pretty dangerous words, there. I'm going to leave my opinion out of it. The point of my original post is that nobody has a say in what any adult can legally do, regardless of what condition they're in. There was a gif of a 90-100 y.o. man doing the ice bucket challenge on another site and someone expressed concern that someone their age shouldn't be doing that. That's an absurd comment since that man is an adult and no one has any right to say they can't do that. This woman hunting is the exact same thing. It's nobody's place to decide if she should be hunting or not.
    Especially since criminialising doing things while pregnant is a really rocky road that leads to women being locked up for drinking the day before their appointment at the abortion clinic

Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    Well, obviously. I kept my post simple. Legalities with handling weapons is implied.

The point of my original post is that nobody has a say in what any adult can legally do, regardless of what condition they're in.
    The government would disagree with you on this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    What about hunting... long pig

Deleted
    Depends on the ground really, trip over a tree stump in the woods and mother and baby are in trouble. Shooting grouse? Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I don't see why not. Its just walking in the woods. To ask this is basically to ask should pregnant women go on nature hikes.
    This isn't Tree Stand Safety we're talking about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    What's risky? Hunting is risky, skydiving is risky. Driving a car is also risky and standing on a hill in a thunderstorm is risky. We don't neccesarily ban women from tons of risky stuff while they are pregnant and it's virtually impossible to draw a fair line and say "anyhting more risky than this isn't okay, anything less risky is okay" because for one, it's ridiculous, where do you draw that line. Suppose we decide that line is, say, in betwen driving a car and crossing a road, isn't it ridiculous to say "well, you are okay to cross the road, but this slightly more risky thing, driving a car, isn't okay" For two, risk differs from person to person. For someone who is a guitarist in a death metal band, performing music may be quite risky, while for someone in the london philharmonic orchestra, not so much. Thirdly, you can't possibly find all the activities above a certain danger level and write them into law, how would you even determine that and how would you put that into a law that it was possible to follow. It would be a nearly bottomless list that no one could possibly know everything on it, and thus would be unenforcable anyway as if someone did something on that list, no judge would punish them for it if they just said "well, sorry I didn't memorise your list of 300,000 activities that I am unable to do while pregnant, I only got 2000 into the list so far, so didn't get to the part that covered "enlisting in the french foreign legion" yet". And it makes no sense to criminalise one activity, but not other more dangerous activities just because they are less popular, so an exhaustive list WOULD be required. And if we aren't talking about criminalising things then what does it matter anyway because even though you may disapprove, she would still be free to do as she wishes.
    Thanks for the wall Erin.

Nobody is talking about laws, no clue why you always jump as if we're going to legislate women into second class citizens.

A pregnant woman is not only responsible for her own body, but the growing body of her child. All her choices are not simply about "her body", because she consists of two. I've never met an even headed pregnant woman who disregards the safety of her growing child.

What sensible woman wouldn't protect her child, or avoid hazardous activities? A woman is fully entitled to do as she pleases, when she pleases. But a little common sense is needed, especially when pregnant.

It's not illegal for expectant mothers to drink, smoke, or be irresponsible. But we view it with a level of condemnation, and rightly so.

Is this scenario highly dangerous? No, go for it. But it's not too far from a potentially dangerous risk for her child.

- - - Updated - - -

Especially since criminialising doing things while pregnant is a really rocky road that leads to women being locked up for drinking the day before their appointment at the abortion clinic
    You're playing a blinder Erin, keep it up.

So, by this we should assume that pregnant women cant do stuff like ride in a car or cross a road since its too dangerous? Its not like huntings is running a marathon or pulling your max load in the gym, and a stroll in the woods (albeit with a gun) is hurtful to you or the baby, rather the opposite. The main risk is getting hit by stray or miss-fired bullets, but that's open to anyone, not just pregnant women.

You're not made of glass just because you're pregnant. I hated when people acted like you were really fragile.

The recoil from the guns may damage the baby, but that depends on the baby-carrier's body...so eh. Also quite the ridiculous CNN article, much less to migrate it onto here.

Not everything has the same risk to it, and I'm not out to ban these activities. I'm just saying use some common sense. Going hunting is probably not a good idea given a basic cost/benefit analysis.

edit: I actually think it should be illegal to smoke and drink while pregnant, those are pretty obviously damaging to the baby, and should be punished.

Deleted
    What about hunting... long pig
    Tastes pretty good but best if you do not eat it off the bone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Thanks for the wall Erin.

Nobody is talking about laws, no clue why you always jump as if we're going to legislate women into second class citizens.

A pregnant woman is not only responsible for her own body, but the growing body of her child. All her choices are not simply about "her body", because she consists of two. I've never met an even headed pregnant woman who disregards the safety of her growing child.

What sensible woman wouldn't protect her child, or avoid hazardous activities? A woman is fully entitled to do as she pleases, when she pleases. But a little common sense is needed, especially when pregnant.

It's not illegal for expectant mothers to drink, smoke, or be irresponsible. But we view it with a level of condemnation, and rightly so.

Is this scenario highly dangerous? No, go for it. But it's not too far from a potentially dangerous risk for her child.

- - - Updated - - -

You're playing a blinder Erin, keep it up.
    I'm not saying pregnant women shouldn't have concern for the safety of their child. I would look down on someone who was smoking while pregnant with a child they planned on keeping. My mother smoked and drank while pregnant with me and I rib her for it to this day

But like... end of the day, it's the mother's choice. If she choses to do it, then it's okay. It might be a bad choice, but... it's still okay because people can make bad choices. Why is that even up for discussion? It's a bad choice to smoke whether you are pregnant or not, but is it ever not okay to smoke? well, not unless you are indoors, no.

The only reason this should be up for discussion at all is if we are talking about laws.

I've never perceived hunting as a very high risk activity. There are loads of hunters in Sweden, most are highly safety orientated and (afik) there are very few people hit by stray bullets (a few hunting dogs, but they are usually right there with the prey).

The kick and vibrations from firing a gun will reach the child in the womb, conceivably causing damage, depending on the power of the gun and how often you shoot.

When you fire that gun it creates a recoil - a wave of force that is absorbed into your body. Given how delicate an unborn child is I wouldn't chance that shockwave passing into throught it.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2014-09-16 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFanatic View Post
    Awww libertard sentiment! It's like a 10 year old wrote a political thesis with crayon and put it on the fridge and said "no one can tell me what to do" and people ate it up like it was Descartes... /sigh. You're dead wrong. You CAN be told what to do and what not to do. That is the entire point of the rule of law. If you don't respect the rule of law, then you will be at best incarcerated, and at worst, put to death (or imprisoned for life, but I'd rather they just hang people in that position). Law is what allows us to all live together and it is what affords us at least the barest vestige of personal right and dignities.

Make no mistake - you have NO rights. Not unless they are GIVEN to you. Don't think so? Without a constitution, a government, or an armed force to protect those granted rights, NOTHING, stands in the way of me, or anyone else from taking what you "think" is yours away from you. No man is an island.
    Funny how you throw around the word "tard"...I am fairly sure that OH SO many countries allow citizens a free will and control over their own lives UNLESS they do something illegal.

If a woman wants to go hunting while pregnant, or an old man wants to pour ice cold water over himself, I doubt the government will step in. So why should random morons on the internet have a right to?