Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Boeing likely winner of ISS astronaut contract

"Boeing said to win NASA space taxi contract". From the article:
    Boeing seems set to win a lucrative contract to build space taxis for NASA, potentially beating out rival SpaceX in the process.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Boeing, the Chicago-based aerospace giant, may well be the winner of the competition to build spacecraft that would take astronauts to and from orbit.
    This is for crew transport, intended to start next year, and shouldn't affect SpaceX's existing contract for cargo delivery to the ISS.

This decision may very well be a win-win for NASA, since Elon Musk will likely go ahead and build a man-rated Dragon capsule anyway, particularly with the possibility of a smaller NASA contract, as is mentioned in the article.

Edited to add:

NASA to Make Major Announcement Today About Astronaut Transport to the International Space Station

Another update:
    Reports: Boeing To Beat Out SpaceX For NASA Contract - Thanks To Jeff Bezos
    Last edited by ringpriest; 2014-09-16 at 04:31 PM.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Beats what we are paying Russia. I am watching this announcement also. Little pissed Space X will more then likely not get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    since Elon Musk will likely go ahead and build a man-rated Dragon capsule anyway
    They've already got an agreement with Bigelow to use the mDragon to put people on Bigelow's private space station(s), assuming they ever get off the ground.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

7+ Year Old Account
    Is it wrong if I read the thread title as: "Boeing likely winner of ISIS astronaut contract?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

I'm fairly certain that it's price "beats" what US is paying Russians... by several orders of magnitude, yes.

Current Russian price is just 70 million $ per seat.

The price of using a spacecraft from this millennium and not being forced to outsource to an increasingly hostile adversary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    I'm fairly certain that it's price "beats" what US is paying Russians... by several orders of magnitude, yes.

Current Russian price is just 70 million $ per seat.
    I believe Dragon2 is talking $20 million per seat, if SpaceX gets the contract. No idea where Boeing would be in comparison.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I believe Dragon2 is talking $20 million per seat, if SpaceX gets the contract. No idea where Boeing would be in comparison.
    There obviously will be additional development and production costs in order of a few billions $.

Maybe it'll pay for itself in a few years; or maybe it'll pay for itself in decade, traffic to ISS is not exactly high.

Competition is good either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's less of a competition thing and more of a boycott and getting a suitable replacement...
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

And then everyone realized that the ISS is a colossal waste of money, providing almost no tangible benefits for its price-tag of 100 Billion dollars.
    (I don't like the ISS)
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    It's less of a competition thing and more of a boycott and getting a suitable replacement...
    It is only not competition if they'll be used for US and US only astronauts; otherwise it is.

Maybe we'll adjust pricing, maybe we make something cheaper ourselves, or maybe we'll just focus on nuclear engines for orbital tugs and interplanetary travel.

It is only not competition if they'll be used for US and US only astronauts; otherwise it is.

Maybe we'll adjust pricing, maybe we make something cheaper ourselves, or maybe we'll just focus on nuclear engines for orbital tugs and interplanetary travel.
    Then we'll build a nuclear engine that will get us to mars in 30 days :3
    http://www.space.com/20609-nuclear-f...cket-mars.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Saah View Post
    Currently in Russia there is too much freedom, you can freely do things, that would cause you be arrested in USA.

Deleted
    Dont try to weasel around here Shalcker - Russia will be pushed out from competitive space exploration in all fronts by 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by fumblz View Post
    Then we'll build a nuclear engine that will get us to mars in 30 days :3
    http://www.space.com/20609-nuclear-f...cket-mars.html
    Eh, fusion engine? "Concept art"? Clearly situation of "more research [grants] required".

By comparison our design will use tested and true principles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Koini View Post
    Dont try to weasel around here Shalcker - Russia will be pushed out from competitive space exploration in all fronts by 2018.
    I fail to see how possibly repeating feat from 1960s of getting man to orbit suddenly spells doom to entire Russian aerospace industry.

We do have Angara coming up next for "competitive space exploration".

Deleted

I fail to see how possibly repeating feat from 1960s of getting man to orbit suddenly spells doom to entire Russian aerospace industry.

Mars,yo! Whos there right now? Right-o. Who`s going to land first man on Mars? Right-o.

Angara is outmached by what SpaceX will offer.Have fun in LEO.
    Last edited by mmoc473526390f; 2014-09-16 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koini View Post
    Mars,yo! Whos there right now? Right-o. Who`s going to land first man on Mars? Right-o.
    Russia, obviously. Our spacecraft with nuclear engine for this (also advertised as "to Mars in 30 days") is supposed to be launched in 2025.

Angara is outmached by what SpaceX will offer.Have fun in LEO.
    There are different trajectories and different orbits which are easier or harder to reach from different launchpads, as well as limit on available launch windows.

We'll manage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, fusion engine? "Concept art"? Clearly situation of "more research [grants] required".

By comparison our design will use tested and true principles.

- - - Updated - - -

Russia space industry consists of playing taxi to astronauts. Not much else going on.

Kind of impressive that the US will have another launch vehicle in the coming year but why continue to spend money the ISS besides basic upkeep and low level projects? Let the ISS go!

We need to start working on a next gen station, not a upscaled space shuttle cargo bay. We need something to get us to the next step of surviving in space. We need a space base and not just a space station, something that could support a mission to Mars because such a mission will probably require some sort of orbital facility(s) to be feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Russia space industry consists of playing taxi to astronauts. Not much else going on.
    Also launching all kinds of satellites and new rocket family Angara to reduce dependency on foreign launchpad at Baikonur, Khazakhstan.

We need to start working on a next gen station, not a upscaled space shuttle cargo bay. We need something to get us to the next step of surviving in space. We need a space base and not just a space station, something that could support a mission to Mars because such a mission will probably require some sort of orbital facility(s) to be feasible.
    It's good to know that Russia is ahead of you here as well - we got it planned to mid-2020s...

With growing tensions i'm sure this image-boosting project will get all green light possible. Nothing like a good rivalry to revive Space Race.

This is great news, especially for the Avaition community. It will create thousands of jobs. Hell I might just have to brush up my resume and see what kind of openings they will be having.

- - - Updated - - -

Also launching all kinds of satellites and new rocket family Angara to reduce dependency on foreign launchpad at Baikonur, Khazakhstan.

It's good to know that Russia is ahead of you here as well - we got it planned to mid-2020s...

With growing tensions i'm sure this image-boosting project will get all green light possible. Nothing like a good rivalry to revive Space Race.
    Don't worry, im sure the Russian space station will look like its put toghter my orks from Warhammer 40k

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    This is great news, especially for the Avaition community. It will create thousands of jobs. Hell I might just have to brush up my resume and see what kind of openings they will be having.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry, im sure the Russian space station will look like its put toghter my orks from Warhammer 40k
    Can't be any worse than MIR.