Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    People have astonishingly short memories. It's the PR war that worries me, because that is what will make a Congressional vote change.
    We have an extremely cautious president this time around. So much so that he's lambasted by the warhawks who think ISIS will "kill all of us", or "kill millions of us"(thank Dame Lindsey Graham). For some reason you attributed his cautious approach to the midterm elections but also declared the inevitability of the full scare war..

So, ok...whatever.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the source for the article in question.

It just hit me in the gut when I read this: We are about to be in another full-on, full-scale war.

It is immeasurably frustrating to see something good that needed to be done (Airstrikes against ISIS) turned into an excuse to deploy again. I understand now why Obama has been trying to kick the can on this so much: Between this and immigration, he's afraid to sink the DNC in November.

I hope everyone pays attention to this. If you were alive and have memory of 2001, this drumbeat should sound awfully, awfully familiar.
    People need to understand something here. Something very important.

Civilians, especially non-Americans, seem to see the US military as some warmongering behemoth who is just itching for an excuse to invade your back yard and wreck up the place. This is not true. And it could not be farther from the truth. Military men and women are regular people just like you. They have emotions and wants and fears. They have friends, families, and children. The average fighting man (or woman) does not want to be called to war anymore than you want to read about it. For most it is just a job. For some a career. But when and if they are called to fight, they will go because someone has to and nobody else has the balls to step up to the plate.

If you want to be angry at the sabre rattling and actual warmongering, blame the politicians, blame the generals (who are politicians first, and war leaders second), and blame ISIS. Do not blame the men and women who are going to end up in the line of fire so that you can sit at your comfy desk and bitch while not having to worry about rockets or mortars falling on your house, or being forced to worship a particular god, or dress a certain way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    We have an extremely cautious president this time around. So much so that he's lambasted by the warhawks who think ISIS will "kill all of us", or "kill millions of us"(thank Dame Lindsey Graham). For some reason you attributed his cautious approach to the midterm elections but also declared the inevitability of the full scare war..

So, ok...whatever.
    He have an extremely cautious President coming to the end of his term trying to not sink his party in the Mid-terms and general elections. He will bend whichever way the wind blows. Obama is not a President famous for standing up for precident. He'll blow over like a reed with enough headwind from the media.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

The thing is. Everyone is brave towards The Americans up until the point that they're face to face with them than they all crumble.

War it's what we do.

Deleted
    There's little actual difference between ISIS and the Iraqi government. When the Iraqi government were murdering their own people last year no one gave a damn and it didn't make the news, ISIS does. I suspect this war is largely being manufactured to stablize the oil supply.

"excuse", good one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    People need to understand something here. Something very important.

Civilians, especially non-Americans, seem to see the US military as some warmongering behemoth who is just itching for an excuse to invade your back yard and wreck up the place. This is not true. And it could not be farther from the truth. Military men and women are regular people just like you. They have emotions and wants and fears. They have friends, families, and children. The average fighting man (or woman) does not want to be called to war anymore than you want to read about it. For most it is just a job. For some a career. But when and if they are called to fight, they will go because someone has to and nobody else has the balls to step up to the plate.

If you want to be angry at the sabre rattling and actual warmongering, blame the politicians, blame the generals (who are politicians first, and war leaders second), and blame ISIS. Do not blame the men and women who are going to end up in the line of fire so that you can sit at your comfy desk and bitch while not having to worry about rockets or mortars falling on your house, or being forced to worship a particular god, or dress a certain way.
    My family has military history stretching back to the War of 1812 in the US. They fought in all 3 fronts of WWII, both sides of the Civil War, in Korea, Vietnam. I have 2 2nd cousins who are West Point graduates. Don't assume I'm anti-military, and don't respect it, because I recognize saber rattling when I see it.

I'm not blaming uniformed, frontline soldiers. They follow orders, they don't make them. What I am worried about is War being declared by politicians who are influenced by the money that circulates through the Military Industrial Complex. Those people have made a lot of money over the last 13 years, and are probably not looking for it to stop anytime soon.
    Or should I?

He have an extremely cautious President coming to the end of his term trying to not sink his party in the Mid-terms and general elections. He will bend whichever way the wind blows. Obama is not a President famous for standing up for precident. He'll blow over like a reed with enough headwind from the media.
    He has 2 years left. He is not coming to the end of his term. This is just ridiculous.

I really can't figure out what people think Obama is. I'm pretty sure he's labeled as a guy who won't bend or compromise for the right, yet he's also a guy who bends whichever way the wind blows.

Oh rhetoric, how awesome you are...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    There's little actual difference between ISIS and the Iraqi government. When the Iraqi government were murdering their own people last year no one gave a damn and it didn't make the news, ISIS does. I suspect this war is largely being manufactured to stablize the oil supply.
    News to me. Mind linking an article?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    He has 2 years left. He is not coming to the end of his term. This is just ridiculous.

I really can't figure out what people think Obama is. I'm pretty sure he's labeled as a guy who won't bend or compromise for the right, yet he's also a guy who bends whichever way the wind blows.

Oh rhetoric, how awesome you are...
    He's always been a reed in the wind. He's a faux-populist, and swaying back and forth is necessary to complete that illusion. He's never been a don't-bend, don't-compromise President except in the face of absolute lunacy (See the Government shutdown).

At year 6 of a Presidential term, you are considered on your way out. He'll spend the next 2 years campaigning, and then he'll step down for whomever next wants the big chair.
    Or should I?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    The thing is. Everyone is brave towards The Americans up until the point that they're face to face with them than they all crumble.

War it's what we do.
    The US hasn't had an ambiguous military success since Clinton left office. It and the UK have been utterly humiliated in Afghanistan. This despite enormous advantages in terms of manpower, resources and technology. It is running scared of Russia, too timid to even arm Ukraine.

My prediction: government forces with US backing will take back swathes of territory from ISIS who will melt away and launch a protracted insurgent campaign. There will be a lot of "Mission Accomplished" crowing from dumb Americans. As it becomes apparent that ISIS are still a threat some years down the line the public mood will move against the war. There will be a lot of incidents where drone or air strikes kill Sunni civilians which will be beamed around the arab world and build a war chest of support for ISIS.

He's always been a reed in the wind. He's a faux-populist, and swaying back and forth is necessary to complete that illusion. He's never been a don't-bend, don't-compromise President except in the face of absolute lunacy (See the Government shutdown).

At year 6 of a Presidential term, you are considered on your way out. He'll spend the next 2 years campaigning, and then he'll step down for whomever next wants the big chair.
    Except, he's not in year six of a single presidential term. He's in year 2 of a 2nd presidential term, so considering him on his way out is something political hacks do to pretend their analysis has relevance. There's a reason why talking heads talk, they have nothing else to do.

He's hardly been a reed in the wind, but it's rather pointless to argue the point with you. He's an actual populist, but the fact you disagree with the populous doesn't allow you to understand this fact. How you decide what makes him "faux" might be interesting so...wait, no it wouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    War!! What is it good for? .
    Fixed that for you
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I don't mind him having an axe to grind, but it helps to have logic, reasoning, and points behind it. Mindless anti-American drivel proves nothing.
    This entire post is drivel. Why was the article you linked even written, were we expecting them to release a video saying they would all put down their weapons stand out in the open waiting to be shot in the face?

Furthermore, how is it that ISIS is so universally reviled yet has amassed a relatively huge army? Is it possible that they are merely the violent wing of a large scale anti-colonialist movement? Do you concede that there is a possibility that in part of the world they don't see our 1,000 lb iron fragmentation bombs as glorious vessels of freedom?

Come to think of it, the US media never shows the aftermath of our air strikes, I wonder why that is? I mean, what is it that we enshrine images of acts of violence against us, showing images over and over of events like 9/11 and the beheadings, yet we never acknowledge the results of our own violent actions? Is it part of a conscious effort to rally support while dehumanizing our opponents? Its as if we are trapped in an endless cycle of violence, yet for some reason we always assume that we are merely responding to violence against us.

You are right, they are beating the drums of war again, but until more people realize that this is just another turn of the wheel we don't stand much chance of breaking the cycle.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Obama said that attacks on American servicemen while bombing Syria would be casus belli against Assad, so I can see the same logic being used against Isis.
    Call me Cassandra

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    News to me. Mind linking an article?
    News to everyone who just gets information from western media, which is everyone pretty much:

Mailiki's rape execution and torture:
    http://www.aljazeera.com/humanrights...513244683.html

(It should be noted that ISIS was not a player in Iraq during this time. The demonstrations in question were very unusual in that were precisely the type of people opposed to sectarianism we'd always dreamed would take over in Iraq)

Also:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/iraq-pu...ilians/5367131

That's just the tip of the iceberg, there's ton of this stuff if you search for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    News to everyone who just gets information from western media, which is everyone pretty much:

Mailiki's rape execution and torture:
    http://www.aljazeera.com/humanrights...513244683.html
    Uhm..... question is who doesn't get proper information...
    AlJazeera is easy available in the US, even the TV Channel...
    http://america.aljazeera.com/tools/getajam.html
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Uhm..... question is who doesn't get proper information...
    AlJazeera is easy available in the US, even the TV Channel...
    http://america.aljazeera.com/tools/getajam.html
    I doubt many Americans (or Brits) ever watch it even if they have access to it. They probably assume
    its the al-quaeda channel if they think about it at all.

The usual tough talk.
    Who cares about it?

Deleted
    what? they would be hostile to US troops?