Poll: What do you Hate Most about Mainstream Games Nowadays?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Question What do you Hate Most about Mainstream Games Nowadays?

Title

/10 char

10+ Year Old Account
    Obvious cut vanilla content and game length

I mean Javik in Mass Effect 3 shows the whole issue with cut vanilla content. Also so many games now hardly last more than a few hours. Games are now either VERY short or VERY long. Not too many in the 20-40 hour range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Repetition. Find a formula and regurgitate it every year.

Tutorials.

No question. I have only a mild tolerance for "help tips" too.

Deleted
    I guess I'd have to be cut content to be resold as DLC, though that isn't a common thing. Even then I think the last DLC I bought was for Fallout 3 when those came out, I simply don't find any DLC that tempting

10+ Year Old Account
    Achievements for trivial things.

Deleted
    Day 1 DLC. I've no problem with decent-length updates after the fact, but stuff they put out on day 1 could, and should, be in the base game.

Tutorials. Just urgh. It's not uncommon for me to make a ton of saves right after a tutorial so that I don't have to do it again should I replay the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Achievements for trivial things.

I also agree with the $60 one...even $40 or $50 for content that lasts a few hours (*cough*Reaper of Souls*cough*).

10+ Year Old Account
    Clear,y the lack of game play, at the expanse of graphics and sound..

Good old Civilization could fit on 2x 880KB disks on my Amiga, yet it is most likely the gate TO DATE which have offered me most play time.
    When I bought The 7th Guest back in 1993ish it was shipped on 7CDs.. A 4GB game, back when people in general had 30-40MB harddisks... It had less than 2 hours of game time.. Sad thing is, same thing still happens... Flashy graphics and not much content..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

DLC in general. in some cases It fits the place of an expansion just fine. but often times it's a cash sink to get content that should have come with the game. I can think of Uncharted 3, where I have to pay 5$ SO I CAN PLAY THE STORY CO-OP CAMPAIGN. that shit would never have flown in the days of halo-halo2.

Yeah DLC is by far the shittiest thing. They take things that should have and would have been included by default in the base game and charge for them.

I don't think it's on the poll, but handholding. The sheer amount of handholding that goes on in games now is outstanding, from everything including indie franchises, all the way to some of the biggest names in gaming. I know there still are games that have you figure things out, and work things out on your own, but in the games and series I enjoy, it's seriously running rampant.

I could argue about this for hours, but simply put, there needs to be a balance between letting the player figure it, and conveying the current objective at any given moment. However, tons of games have completely dropped the former spectrum, and slapping everything from constant hints, to outright pointing out where you go and what you do, making it a game of 'follow the leader' and disregard any source of challenge whatsoever. It's even more prevalent in some of the new platformer games, giving you cheat, or 'god' options if you screw up too many times.

I understand some of the handholding is optional (though not all of it, in a lot of games) but just the fact that it's there removes any semblance from the idea of a video game. They were initially made to have fun, and present challenges for you to overcome, wherein the majority of the fun lies. Removing any need for the latter removes the former as well, and for me at least, kills a lot of interest for some games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    I don't think it's on the poll, but handholding. The sheer amount of handholding that goes on in games now is outstanding, from everything including indie franchises, all the way to some of the biggest names in gaming. I know there still are games that have you figure things out, and work things out on your own, but in the games and series I enjoy, it's seriously running rampant.

I could argue about this for hours, but simply put, there needs to be a balance between letting the player figure it, and conveying the current objective at any given moment. However, tons of games have completely dropped the former spectrum, and slapping everything from constant hints, to outright pointing out where you go and what you do, making it a game of 'follow the leader' and disregard any source of challenge whatsoever. It's even more prevalent in some of the new platformer games, giving you cheat, or 'god' options if you screw up too many times.

I understand some of the handholding is optional (though not all of it, in a lot of games) but just the fact that it's there removes any semblance from the idea of a video game. They were initially made to have fun, and present challenges for you to overcome, wherein the majority of the fun lies. Removing any need for the latter removes the former as well, and for me at least, kills a lot of interest for some games as well.
    Your name is hilariously ironic considering what you just said.

I do fully agree though. I literally cannot think of the last game I played where I did not pretty much master it within ten minutes.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

Overly long cut-scenes that force you to sit through a bunch of exposition and sweeping shots.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd add platform exclusives to that list. My 2 year old PC is vastly superior to both "next gen" consoles, yet because of exclusivity I had to plop down $800 (actually $900, but Kinect was a choice) and go from playing at 1440p 60fps to, if I am lucky, 1080p 60fps. And go from super quick and precise mouse aiming to fumbling gamepad aiming...
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

While I would choose a lot from that list, I'd like to say Pre-order nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post

I also agree with the $60 one...even $40 or $50 for content that lasts a few hours (*cough*Reaper of Souls*cough*).
    I agree with the big prices, but ROS is a bad example in my opinion, its not made to be played a few hours and people should know that about a diablo game.

I payed 40$ and played 300 hours the first 2 months. Good amount of hours for the price, and i will play more in winter.

So many shorter games, or simpler games that as a result don't have enough content to last. I'm tired of the focus being taken off story and single player campaigns a lot, as that's what I enjoy the most. Story.

They overemphasize on cinematic narrative, while they simplify gameplay elements and have sterile game design. Not to mention that in terms of game design most genres have been stale for almost a decade now.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah console exclusive games does my head in. also console games, I mean, consoles in general.

but simple games that require 0 skill to finish.

dlc is pretty shit, but expansions are nice if they bring content and more depth. (sc2, d3, wod)
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.