Revamping Arnea System!

It would be nice if arena had some short term gratification outside of gaining conquest points to buy gear. Yes, there is titles to look forward to at the end of a season but having to wait 7-10 months seems ridiculous. There needs to be a system in place that will encourage competitive weekly play and discourage piloted title sales. I had a few ideas that could easily fix most of these problems and get people excited about doing arena again.

• At the end of each week the top .5% of players will receive a gladiator token, top .1% will receive a rank 1 gladiator token, top 3% duelist token, 10% challenger token etc.
    Players must have at least 100 3v3 games played that week to be eligible for that weeks tokens.

After gathering FIVE of any like tokens you will receive the appropriate title, gladiator, duelist, challenger etc. After receiving a title you will gain access to that particular vendor. example: gladiator title will give you access to gladiator vendor. These vendors will sell mounts, xmog gear and other goodies for tokens.

• Rating resets weekly however MMR will not!

This would be a super fast easy fix and make arena so much more appealing. It would discourage title sales and give PvPers something to strive for weekly. Yes, there is a small grind aspect with this system however we can't forget this is an MMO. You should not be able to just log in one day secure gladiator then log out for a year. There needs to be some sort of grind aspect to maintain the games integrity. You can also use this same system for tournament qualifying etc.

You may not agree with this particular system but I'm certain most people will agree that the current system needs to change.
    Last edited by zoned; 2014-09-20 at 07:30 PM.

100 games a week seems a little excessive for something like Arena where people are supposed to be able to log in and play when they like, even if it's an MMO. Unless you mean 100 wins total before you can start collecting, not per week.

They're already introducing a lockbox type thing per Arena, which has a chance at goodies (like PvP gear), so advancing on that could also be an idea.

It is a 100 game weekly minimum to be eligible for tokens. (I guess it could be slightly less maybe 50-75 but takes away from the meaning).
    I don't think it's excessive, you can always log in and arena for fun, however if you want to achieve a title you need to put forth some effort. That's the idea anyhow.
    Last edited by zoned; 2014-09-18 at 06:07 PM.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    50 games sounds more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by zoned View Post
    It is a 100 game weekly minimum to be eligible for tokens. (I guess it could be slightly less maybe 50-75 but takes away from the meaning).
    I don't think it's excessive, you can always log in and arena for fun, however if you want to achieve a title you need to put forth some effort. That's the idea anyhow.
    Effort in arena comes with the rating you're at though, not the number of games a week. Could do thousands of games a week at 1k MMR and it wouldn't be anywhere near as much effort as someone 2.7k+

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Effort in arena comes with the rating you're at though, not the number of games a week. Could do thousands of games a week at 1k MMR and it wouldn't be anywhere near as much effort as someone 2.7k+
    The game requirement is more of a way to deter title sales. In the end the high rated players will still receive high end titles it will just take that 50-100 games per week for x amount of weeks to secure it. Much better then just having someone buy a title that is secured in one night which damages the integrity of arena and also discourages competitive play at all levels.
    Last edited by zoned; 2014-09-18 at 06:28 PM.

The game requirement is more of a way to deter title sales. In the end the high rated players will still receive high end titles it will just take that 50-100 games per week for x amount of weeks to secure it. Much better then just having someone buy a title that is secured in one night which damages the integrity of arena and also discourages competitive play at all levels.
    I guess it could work if you did it as, say, you needed 10 tokens (example) to get the title at the end of the season. So you'd need 10 weeks of getting that rank through the entire season. But having the title given to you every week is just too much, it'd lose all meaning being swapped constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    I guess it could work if you did it as, say, you needed 10 tokens (example) to get the title at the end of the season. So you'd need 10 weeks of getting that rank through the entire season. But having the title given to you every week is just too much, it'd lose all meaning being swapped constantly.
    Sure you might see a slight increase in titles but all will be deserved and not purchased. For example if you want a gladiator title you still need to be in the top .5% of all players for at least 5 weeks. Can't be that easy plus the idea of the system is also to reward people on a more regular basis. This will keep people playing and encourage consistent competitive arena because people will want to farm tokens to buy mounts, transmogs and other goodies.
    Last edited by zoned; 2014-09-18 at 07:37 PM.

I think the real problem with arenas is that there are no intermediate rewards for the most part. Its pretty much 2200 or your stuck with woohoo conquest gear. I've always bounced around 2k-2100 for whatever reason.

Allowing me to get rival weekly wouldn't really do much for me. I think there should be more incremental rewards between 1500 and 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    I think the real problem with arenas is that there are no intermediate rewards for the most part. Its pretty much 2200 or your stuck with woohoo conquest gear. I've always bounced around 2k-2100 for whatever reason.

Allowing me to get rival weekly wouldn't really do much for me. I think there should be more incremental rewards between 1500 and 3k.
    Yeah this.

After getting elite gear the only thing to look forward to is red weapons at 2200
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account
    So you want to bring back how the old Classic title system of High Warlord/Grand Marshal was done? Sounds okay to me.

I do think 100 wins a week is just a tad excessive, though.

100 games the week! Reminds me vanilla PVP. You got ranks only by spamming bgs. I forgot the ranks, but i went pretty high once and it was almost impossible to go higher. I played for a week Long as many bgs i almost died...and after that i didnt even get enough XP to get out of my rank so i gave up

• Rating resets weekly however MMR will not!
    rofl

10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post

Your experiences is exactly the problem this system fixes. It would eliminate piloted accounts and pros playing below their true skill level. Creating a more skill balanced arena experience and greatly impacting rating/titles. With it you would theoretically be pushing 2300+ (current season equivalent), even at your skill level, which would greatly increase willingness to participate. The idea is to encourage people to arena/rbg, and to do this a fair playing field is required.

Who wants to try and push rating only to get run over by piloted accounts and pros on alts. People might not understand it but this is why arena is such an inconsistent horrible experience. Players with a true skill level of 2700 get pushed down to 2500 and those at 2500 get knocked down to 2300 etc. In just about every rating bracket on any given night you can get farmed down 200-300 rating by these pilots and alts, frustrating to say the least. This is one of the main reasons people quit arena, if it's not fair it's not fun.
    Last edited by zoned; 2014-09-21 at 12:41 AM.