Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Well, I can't be the only uninformed person here since between you and Reg, I've now been told that:
    1) Honor societies are frats,
    2) Honor societies don't afford the same opportunities as frats.

Also, I find some of the frat stats dubious. The "all but 2 presidents past 1825 were in frats" thing is objectively wrong. The percentage of Fortune 500 execs who were part of a frat/sorority is cited as 60%, 85%, some other percent, and not a single source in sight for the statistic.
    Its all very well making your own club and making a network of friends and business associates through it.

THe fact is the frats have been doing it for YEARS and so their networks are just a bit more connected.

Think of it as joining an established guild or making your own one. Sure you can make your own guild. But it ain't gonna have the support that an established guild would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Do these 'fraternity shenanigans' only occur in USA? I ask because I never see these bizarre stories in EU... All these 'frat parties' sound like homoerotic piss ups and mentally challenged get togethers
    Japan had a huge rape party issue, at colleges.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Japan had a huge rape party issue, at colleges.
    As far as rape statistics go Japan is 105th out of 117 countries, U.S. is 14th.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...rime/Rape-rate

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Think of it as joining an established guild or making your own one. Sure you can make your own guild. But it ain't gonna have the support that an established guild would do.
    From an outsider looking in it sounds like it's a lot easier to make your own successful guild than connections that put you at the top of the dogpile for whatever avenue in life you choose to take.

I'd be interested in the good stuff frats/sors actually do as someone from UK. All we ever hear is the latest rape or bullying as a result of them so they get looked down upon
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Its all very well making your own club and making a network of friends and business associates through it.

THe fact is the frats have been doing it for YEARS and so their networks are just a bit more connected.

Complete with unfair advantages in favor of those with the longest history! Which is generally why I like clubs better. Dont have to put up with the geneology legacy bull that sometimes occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Japan has an enormous issue when it comes to not reporting rape. Much of it is very culturally based. The women who were raped didn't even report.

At the same time Japan isn't very interested in pushing people to report so it's going to be an unresolved issue for some time. We are looking at a country that had rape man a guy who raped women for their own good...

10+ Year Old Account
    Japan has an enormous issue when it comes to not reporting rape. Much of it is very culturally based. The women who were raped didn't even report.

At the same time Japan isn't very interested in pushing people to report so it's going to be an unresolved issue for some time. We are looking at a country that had rape man a guy who raped women for their own good...
    SO that explans all the "I was assaulted but I dont want to tell anyone because Im ashamed" in japaneese dating sims...

Most countries have an issue with unreported rape. Japan's culture today is very different than it was 20 years ago, I know because I have been living here that whole time. While I am sure unreported rape is still an issue, I doubt that today it is much different from other countries like the United States. The problem with unreported rape though that how much of it there is is complete guess work because you can't have statistics on something there is no data for.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Well, they'll spend time in jail then.

When a girl shows up on campus as a freshman is when she's most vulnerable cause she doesn't know which frats are dangerous. After she's been there a while the other girls tell her what frats to avoid.

Stuff you don't want happening to your child.
    fixed it for you
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Asian countries perennially under-report things like sexual harassment, rape, substance abuse, and crime. Shame cultures put a serious kibosh on airing dirty laundry. Westerners do not understand this as a general rule, because guilt cultures are all about letting the fur fly, gotta spread that guilt around, baby.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Because most of college isn't about the grades you get, it's about the hands you shake.
    I always feel like this is a US thing, or at least in the extreme sense of things...school must be a horrible place in the US if it's even anything similar to what I get from US movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I always feel like this is a US thing, or at least in the extreme sense of things...school must be a horrible place in the US if it's even anything similar to what I get from US movies.
    You're fooling yourself if you think networking doesn't happen in your nation's colleges. Maybe in tech colleges, but then again, most of the tech colleges in the US are like that, too. Also, try to remember that American movies aren't (entirely) documentaries on American culture.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    You're fooling yourself if you think networking doesn't happen in your nation's colleges. Maybe in tech colleges, but then again, most of the tech colleges in the US are like that, too. Also, try to remember that American movies aren't (entirely) documentaries on American culture.
    I know the events happen, but I hardly ever hear or read of things going that extreme. I'm fairly certain that it happens a lot more in the US if I have to compare it to the movies...which is the only thing I can base myself on looking at US having not lived there.

Deleted
    Reading the second article, I get these facts:

- lots of students got trashed at a party
    - people there were "marked" with a black or red X
    - women there could pay for unlimited refills
    - a woman was hospitalized with more than double the intoxication level of alchool
    - when the police got there they found a mess of vomit and drunkness around, and underage people

Then it is mentioned there was a rumor on facebook that the organizers have also tried to "roofie" women. But that is not a fact.

As for the only statement from the intoxicated woman "she recalled a fraternity member got upset when she went behind the bar to pour drinks and was physically removed". I would be pissed off as well if a drunktard would be half-vomiting-half-spilling drinks.

I went to SU for 2 years (I'm European, I just lived a while in the US), if I learned anything during those 2 years it was the fact that Greek Organizations are more often then not disgusting. I got invited to a fraternity, partied with them quite a bit but never made it official as I seen the entire thing as a sleazeball circle jerk thing.

Hypothetically Fraternities are a good idea, but more often then not they are just cliquish groups, where idiocy brews and ferments in a like minded closed environment.

Fraternity's are usually good places, and if this fraternity did this heinous acts they should be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Like I said. There's no reason why you can't create a network of friends and colleagues without being part of a frat. Clubs and decent honor societies afford you the same opportunities, unless puking in the same toilet as a frat buddy after a binge drinking session creates an unbreakable bond of brotherhood or something.
    You are correct, there is nothing stopping a group of college students from forming a group like that. But the thing is if you want to continue the group for future students you start to develop things like a constitution, rules, funding, etc. Before long, you pretty much have a fraternity. What do people think a real fraternity is? Yes, there are some groups that lose focus and drink to excess, but there is another side to the coin.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't know about UK, but certainly not here in continental Europe.
    I talked to a German that was in a fraternity but he says that it isn't the same as the ones in the US. Supposedly super XxXHARDCOREXxX or something like that. He had a scar on his head he claims he got from a sword fight. He would not go into details.
    Probably he was just fucking with us gullible Americans but he seemed pretty serious at the time.

Deleted
    Those stats are dubious at best. Loling so hard at Egypt having a supposed 0.1 per 100k rate.

I hope they all step on legos