Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question What do you Look for in a Game Before you Buy It?

What are you looking for in a game before you buy it? Signs of a quality developer? (Ie, trailers that don't spoil the big moments). A reputable history? What are you scanning review specifically for?

Deleted
    If it's a genre I like, I usually first see if Totalbiscuit has made a WTF of it. I also check with friends if they have or haven't played it and ask them for their opinion of it, that's usually enough to decide whether or not it's worth a try.

If neither of the above is possible for the given game I usually pirate the game to try it out, if I like it I buy it, if I don't I don't.

I don't trust "game journalists" or their reviews to be any good.

10+ Year Old Account
    If its a World of Warcraft expansion.
    Otherwise, not much of a point.
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!

Setting - must be fantasy world (a bit of sci-fi is acceptable).
    Size - I am not buying the replayability as choosing different option in dialogue on next playthrough in CRPGs.
    If it is CRPG - no tunnel'ish dungeons, no level-scaling and no stupidly low caps on everything.
    Diversity of game world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything. Before I buy a game, I want to know its gameplay, quality of the plot and characters (avoiding spoilers, of course), ratings out of 5/10 and subratings (music, gameplay, story, etc.), diversity, replayability, etc. The developer doesn't matter to me much, although I always pay much attention to titles from Blizzard, Bioware and Obsidian. And, of course, I always watch some sample videos on Youtube before deciding whether to buy or not to buy.

I just buy shit these days that I am vaguely interested in by the description even if I might end up stopping to play it after 10 minutes. Certainly not reading reviews or some equivalent crap.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2014-09-21 at 07:20 AM.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just about everything as well. I like a game with a really good story and graphics are a huge plus for me. If the game has horrid graphics, i just cannot play it unless the gameplay is fluid. Tried playing The Witcher 1 and was hoping to enjoy it but the graphics and the combat ruined it for me. Skipped to The Witcher 2 and enjoyed the hell out of it. Gameplay was smooth and the graphics were amazing. I don't buy games with bad reviews either, i just don't. I will not waste my money on something that i will most likely hate. If it has good reviews, i'll usually give it a try. Company is a huge deal as well. I've played all of Blizzard's games and have enjoyed every single one of them. Even if the game has bad reviews and i really like the company, i will normally play the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    My bullet point list is pretty much:

Good story

Whether or not the game is FUN (most important)

Ability to customize/upgrade my character (e.g. Shepard/Mass Effect) or play as many characters

Interesting gameplay or new gameplay mechanics

Whether or not the experience is self-contained or something that is obvious sequel-bait

If its from a company/developer I enjoy (Blizzard, Bioware, Nintendo, etc)

I don't care about the reviews/metascore of a game. I've enjoyed games with 50-60 metascore and been bored to sleep (literally) by games that rank in the 90s. At the end of the day I prefer to form my own opinion about games.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    I look for a cracked version to try, because I'm not spending money on a potentially crap game, since most companies don't offer demos anymore.

Also, it has to not be a Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo clone (or the real thing for that matter)
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

The ethics of the developer & publisher are very important to me. I'm also concerned with how well-made the game is (e.g. how configurable is the game? how optimized is it?). To top it off, I need to know how it feels to play it which can be difficult as demo's are rarely released nowadays, YouTube clips of people playing the game are probably the next best thing.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Genre'
    2. Production quality
    3. Big name company willing to throw lots of money at it to ensure ongoing content patches and balance finetuning.

I may be shallow, but it is what it is.

Deleted
    Singleplayer Games
    1. Genre: RPG > RTS > FPS

2. Story.
    *Does it have a good single player experience or is just lazy trash designed for multiplayer where the single player is a tutorial or is just there for the lols?
    *Is the story complex and with numerous twists or is it just some predictable, cliche riddened, middle school essay? Sorry for the trash talk, I just bought Wasteland 2 and expected to see a Fallout game. Silly me.
    *Are the player's actions affecting the world?

3. Production values. Some developers push out games with below average graphics for the time they are releasing the game at, npcs voiced by the same 3 actors or even by the same 3 unprofessional actors or close to no voiceacting whatsoever, as well as outdated mechanics. (Risen 3).

4. Controls. Is the game meant for the consoles and thus is more or less unplayable on the PC with keyboard and mouse?

MMOs
    1. European servers. Some game companies don't think having European servers is mandatory.

2. F2p/b2p/monthly sub. For the record I don't play f2ps nor b2ps, they're always trash.

3. Annoying mechanics. Lots of game developers believe encouraging griefing by allowing player looting in pvp, is a wonderful idea. Also other developers believe their game doesn't require a fun leveling experience, hence why they make it very grindy and boring (Wildstar).

4. End-game. Once leveling is finished, how will the game keep me entertained for more than the 1-2 weeks I needed to hit max level? Some developers think end-game is about having a sandbox where the player is expected to make his/her own fun. I find this idea ludicrous and believe all MMOs should have dungeon and raid tiers being pumped out every so often. Needless to say I don't play sandbox MMOs as there are really only two ways to build a career there: pvp (which I enjoy but not if that's all I do) or crunching numbers (which I don't give a rat's ass about).
    Last edited by mmoc2f1c1a3151; 2014-09-21 at 08:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    I look for a cracked version to try, because I'm not spending money on a potentially crap game, since most companies don't offer demos anymore.

Also, it has to not be a Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo clone (or the real thing for that matter)
    Quoting self to make a point: Anyone who doesn't answer this in the current day and age is only working against themselves, funneling money into games and companies that dont deserve reward or profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Deleted
    Quoting self to make a point: Anyone who doesn't answer this in the current day and age is only working against themselves, funneling money into games and companies that dont deserve reward or profit.
    One of the major reasons so many developers turn toward the console market and never release a PC version, is piracy. You may think you've won something by not paying for a bad game (many don't pay even if they liked the game as once they played on their pirate version, why buy the original?!) but you've only won a very small prize, as in the long run other developers will shy away from releasing their games on PC only to lose a lot of profits to piracy.

So don't fucking whine about this and that game never having a PC release or being a crappy port to PC if you ever used a pirated copy of a PC game - YOU contributed to that happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll answer your post. People like you are the reason many game companies have went out of business. People like you are the reason many games aren't released on PC. People like you deserve jail time for being lazy assholes who think you're entitled to steal what the rest of us pay for.

In short, fuck off.

@moderators - sorry but I have no tolerance for idiots who openly admit to stealing and pirating games.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaeven View Post
    One of the major reasons so many developers turn toward the console market and never release a PC version, is piracy. You may think you've won something by not paying for a bad game (many don't pay even if they liked the game as once they played on their pirate version, why buy the original?!) but you've only won a very small prize, as in the long run other developers will shy away from releasing their games on PC only to lose a lot of profits to piracy.

So don't fucking whine about this and that game never having a PC release or being a crappy port to PC if you ever used a pirated copy of a PC game - YOU contributed to that happening.
    I completely agree with you on this here but what the fuck does this post have to do with this. It is completely irrelevant to the thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Survivor View Post
    I completely agree with you on this here but what the fuck does this post have to do with this. It is completely irrelevant to the thread.
    I was answering to Arcanimus, I think his comment deserved a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'll answer your post. People like you are the reason many game companies have went out of business. People like you are the reason many games aren't released on PC. People like you deserve jail time for being lazy assholes who think you're entitled to steal what the rest of us pay for.

In short, fuck off.

@moderators - sorry but I have no tolerance for idiots who openly admit to stealing and pirating games.

Can you provide links to studies showing that piracy is actually hurting profits? Most people who illegaly download software are people who would not buy the game for retail price anyway. Games like Minecraft would never become so widespread if it weren't for millions of "illegal" downloads boosting it's popularity.
    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”
    ~G.B. Shaw

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually check for reviews or opinions of people I trust and then make a judgement call unless it's WoW expansions or Mass Effect related then I insta-buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    I usually check for reviews or opinions of people I trust and then make a judgement call unless it's WoW expansions or Mass Effect related then I insta-buy.
    Many people, myself included, just lack the patience to wait for reviews to come in, especially if we have nothing else good to play at that moment. We will just hurry into buying something that we think it could be awesome. More often than not, we have to deal with buyer's remorse as consequence. Still, we pay for it and we don't contribute to game developers thinking twice before releasing their game on the PC, and that's an acceptable sacrifice.