Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember ten years ago when Blizzard thought this was an ok idea and no game has ever gone back to such an archaic system since then. The casual in me says 'yay, I can get gear by doing whatever I want'. The logical person in me says this is just going to be the elite raiders trolling everyone and people raging all over the place. Not good.
    BAD WOLF

So now that it's been out a while, how has this turned out. How easy is it to gear up with PvP only? How easy is it to gear up with PvE only? How easily can you hit PvE cap and then only be able to continue that week with PvP?

I have not played since NT launch and am considering starting up again, but depending on how this played out could be a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    So now that it's been out a while, how has this turned out. How easy is it to gear up with PvP only? How easy is it to gear up with PvE only? How easily can you hit PvE cap and then only be able to continue that week with PvP?

I have not played since NT launch and am considering starting up again, but depending on how this played out could be a deal breaker for me.
    Gear is far easier to get in PVE than PVP. Getting gear using marks takes forever in either method. PVE gear comes from usual boss drops. PVP gear comes from marauders (?) boxes you only get after winning a match. The box most likey (>50%) contains one plat, with small chance at an item. The item can be the bounty artifacts or gear. The gear is worse than dungeon drops. To get it on bar with blue dungeon drops takes ~2 Abysmal upgrades and ~100K favor. To get it to match the gear that drops from final boss drops, takes ~3 times the amount. Also the stats on the gear are random so the piece you get could be complete shit.

To cap marks depends if patron or not. Also unless you are hardcore raiding, why worry about capping marks?
    Last edited by Clymene; 2014-12-01 at 06:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I sort of like the idea, but I can see how this wouldn't exactly be great. When I first came up in MMOs, there was one set of gear (Ultima Online) and then in WoW, it was the same, PVE and PVP gear was the same for the most part. When you start to separate the two but get an itch to do something new on a toon that was primarily PVE or PVP... you really do start behind the ball. I did like early on in Rift having top notch PVP gear and being asked if I wanted to raid, did so and they were shocked that I topped the healing meters by a lot and then commented on replacing my PVP gear, when there weren't really any upgrades there for me. In that regard, I don't mind being able to do both and not having two sets of gear. I know I do both and I am good at both, at least on that one toon.
    In Wrath, my gear was just a clusterfuck of pvp and pve gear, cause I did a bit of raiding, but pvp gear was easier to get. Same with when Cata launched, I got a full set of pvp gear simply because it was better than quest greens, and I raided in that. People in my guild gave me a ton of shit for doing it, but it didn't matter when they saw me at or near the top of the charts. Even with WoD just to boost my ilvl a bit (and because I was honor capped from MoP) I bought the 620(670) pvp blues as a sort of headstart, which I then began replacing with apexis/heroic items.
    I've always hated the seperation of gear sets, which is why I'm so glad pvp power and resilience and all that shit is gone from WoW. I like Rift's new direction in this regard, but I do agree it could be shaky at the start.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by Clymene View Post
    To cap marks depends if patron or not. Also unless you are hardcore raiding, why worry about capping marks?
    Because I am a hardcore raider and I normally do cap my marks whilst playing. My initial concern over hearing this news was what will happen when I am capped for PvE for the week. Will guilds be expecting people to go do PvP to gear up faster? As painful as it sounds to gear up PvP, this does not sound like it will be an issue.

i do feel sorry for those PvPers though. It seems like if they want to keep up, they will need to PvE.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a main pvper I rly don't mind pve in Rift, oddly enough I almost exclusively pve here. if I have to do both that's fine but pvp just isn't taken seriously at all in this game unfortunately.

Deleted
    In pve it's usually like 1-3 tiers to get to best gear?
    Does this mean that now, they scrapped all the thrillions of ranks for pvp and pvp-players only got 1-3 tiers as well to get through? No more rank increases, just simple tiers as it should be? Because then even if doing pve gives you items faster, even just getting items through pvp must be a dream come true for anyone somewhat casual pvping in Rift. Is this really true? I can't believe that Trion finally came to their senses about this, I thought they were just adding grind on grind to sell items and potions in cash shop, so this is quite the opposite but really a dream come true.

Deleted
    Seems like noone know about the pvp gear and if tier or ranks

I like this change. A lot actually.

I think it's funny how PVPers think OMG PVEers are going to just get the same gear as us and stomp on our grounds, and PVErs are saying the same thing the other way around.

Who the fuck cares?

IMO your dominance in a particular area shouldnt just hinge on your gear. If a PVP experienced player who is skilled goes against a PVE player with no PVP experience, with equal gear, you should be able to defeat them. The same holds true the other way around. If a PVPer doesnt know the mechanics and steps into PVE they aren't going to moonwalk to the last boss and get all the loot.

Player skill should be paramount. Fuck the gear.