What if two people with the name name ran against each other for President?

Let's say a John Smith won the republican nomination, and a different John Smith won the democratic nomination. What percentage of the population would screw up their vote? 10%? 30%? How screwed up would that election be?

Jaylock is that you?
    Hi Sephurik

7+ Year Old Account
    Let's make it even harder!

What if there was a Democrat, Republican, and Libertarian candidate named John Smith?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post

What if there was a Democrat, Republican, and Libertarian candidate named John Smith?
    Trick question, we only care about R's and D's here.

He'd win for sure.

That would be much easier, not harder.

Its very likely that no candidate would win a majority of electoral votes. When that happens, the election is cancelled and the House of Representatives picks the President. The Senate picks the Vice President. That hasn't happened since 1825 though.

10+ Year Old Account

What if there were a Democrat named Republican, a Republican named Democrat, and a Libertarian whose name didn't make it onto the ballot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazia View Post
    Your mom is so fat shes the reason blizzard made a limit on mage food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If words bother you that much perhaps you should try being amish so you can avoid them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    That would be much easier, not harder.

Its very likely that no candidate would win a majority of electoral votes. When that happens, the election is cancelled and the House of Representatives picks the President. The Senate picks the Vice President. That hasn't happened since 1825 though.
    I can imagine some idiots, though, who hear that "John Smith is now President!" cheering, thinking it's their John Smith... when it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neganova View Post
    What if there were a Democrat named Republican, a Republican named Democrat, and a Libertarian whose name didn't make it onto the ballot?
    Thomas Jefferson?

I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

Florida would declare a state of emergency

10+ Year Old Account
    Thomas Jefferson?

I... Think I see what you did there. Made me chuckle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazia View Post
    Your mom is so fat shes the reason blizzard made a limit on mage food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If words bother you that much perhaps you should try being amish so you can avoid them.

Let's make it harder still - Democrat John R. Smith, Republican John D. Smith.

One or both of them will have been in public life long enough that they most likely will have differentiated their names long before getting the nomination. Like the inclusion of middle initials (George W.), using a middle name (Mitt instead of Willard), an alternate form of their name (less or more formal), like Jack or Johnny instead of John.

There's a (R) and a (D) on ballots, as well as party emblems for people who have trouble reading. Of course, there's will still be states that have shoddily constructed ballots, like Florida, where the ballots were so confusing Pat Robertson ended up getting a bunch of Jewish votes because of how his name was placed in relation to other candidates.
    Last edited by Gwiez; 2014-09-23 at 02:56 AM.

It would be the first ballot with pictures instead of names.

Nader strikes back.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    It would be the first ballot with pictures instead of names.
    But what if they are identical twins?

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't Yahoo answers dude....
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Uh, I've only voted twice but I'm fairly certain party is listed beside names of candidates.

Deleted
    I'd vote John Smith obviously...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziphr View Post
    Florida would declare a state of emergency
    Florida would collapse into a black hole, the Earth would be sucked in, the hole would grow larger and destabilize the solar system, and then the cluster, and then the galaxy and then the galactic filament and then the entire universe itself.
    Putin khuliyo