Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    Oh. The article said the entire collection so I assumed that meant the, you know... entire collection.
    It's implied that it was just the explosive devices, as it wouldn't really make much sense to take uniforms to a field and blow them up. It's lazy writing from the journalist.

It's not illegal to own military memorabilia, it is illegal to dig up bombs on private land and keep them in your garage.

So without reading the article I'm going to go out on a limb and say they destroyed the unexploded munitions and that's all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It's implied that it was just the explosive devices, as it wouldn't really make much sense to take uniforms to a field and blow them up. It's lazy writing from the journalist.

It's not illegal to own military memorabilia, it is illegal to dig up bombs on private land and keep them in your garage.
    It's not lazy, it's intentionally inflammatory. That's how the Telegraph and other such 'newspapers' make money.

I can't for the life of me see why that would be a problem. It's not they are bombs or someth...oh. Never mind.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

in your garage in the middle of a built up neighborhood.

This dude sounds like a genius.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd understand if they just blew it up then and there but they moved it, which implied they were well within in their ability to separate the clothes and military swag from the bombs.

People have no common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    I'd understand if they just blew it up then and there but they moved it, which implied they were well within in their ability to separate the clothes and military swag from the bombs.

People have no common sense.
    and now I am just imagining people reading the story and thinking "oh they just blew it all up in his garage!"

Yeah...

"this collection of unexploded munitions and guns is too dangerous, constable...set the charges in here!"

*BOOOOOOOM*

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    and now I am just imagining people reading the story and thinking "oh they just blew it all up in his garage!"

Fuuuuuuuuuck.
    lol, that would've been funny to read.

I wouldn't put it past the guy that was in charge of the operation.

Yeah...

"this collection of unexploded munitions and guns is too dangerous, constable...set the charges in here!"

*BOOOOOOOM*

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

What?!! They blew him up with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    lol, that would've been funny to read.

I wouldn't put it past the guy that was in charge of the operation.
    "blow up the munitions and all of the clothing"
    "but that jacket is my father's!"
    "too bad, now it's kindling!"

10+ Year Old Account
    "blow up the munitions and all of the clothing"
    "but that jacket is my father's!"
    "too bad, now it's kindling!"
    I bet the dude just had a really bad day or his wife got divorced and he really just wanted to stick it to someone. This guy was just unfortunately the first person in his reach.

"I'm going to ruin your life like mine was yesterday!"

"But I spent half my life collecting this!"

*Explosion happens*

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    What?!! They blew him up with it?
    They strapped him to a mortar round like a GI Joe figure and blasted him to bits across the mid-western English countryside.

10+ Year Old Account
    They strapped him to a mortar round like a GI Joe figure and blasted him to bits across the mid-western English countryside.
    That's the punishment for all WWI - II enthusiasts as per orchestrated by the Illuminati.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-09-23 at 09:48 PM.

May he rest in pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post

Alan Tissington's garage was packed with artillery, firearms, ammunition and uniforms from both world wars. His entire collection was removed and destroyed in a controlled explosion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ns-garage.html

How could they just destroy a part of history?!
    No hyperbole here. Nope. None.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can understand explosives he had but the rest? surely there are better options than to simply destroy things like these.

Deleted

Stupid.

As far as the guns go, they could have just removed the firing pins. I imagine it would be difficult to find WW1 era firing pins. As far as the muntitions go, remove the fuses and powder from the mortars, its not that hard to do.

If they also destroyed the rest of his collection, I'd sue if I was him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    The shocking part is the guy spent 40 years collecting the stuff, you know where the stuff would be if he hadn't found it. Sitting in the ground probably even worse off because it would of been exposed to elements.

If these items are soo easily found by someone as a hobby, you'd think they would take the time to go in and remove all of them so someone doesn't find out by accidentally being blown up.
    They suspect he stole them from the nearby area where we buried them after the war. He wasn't doing anybody a favour by digging up bombs they'd deliberately buried and knew about.

Of more concern is that he was able to access the land.

They suspect he stole them from the nearby area where we buried them after the war. He wasn't doing anybody a favour by digging up bombs they'd deliberately buried and knew about.

Of more concern is that he was able to access the land.
    Yeah. I mean if he dug up something that was deliberately buried by the goverment, then yeah I could see the issue....However...WTF would that land be accessable to the public.

Still pretty ballsy, I've walked through a impact ranged used from WW2-Veitnam, and it wasn't fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Yeah. I mean if he dug up something that was deliberately buried by the goverment, then yeah I could see the issue....However...WTF would that land be accessable to the public.

Still pretty ballsy, I've walked through a impact ranged used from WW2-Veitnam, and it wasn't fun.
    It shouldn't be accessible to the public, that's something of a fuck up. Especially when just North of there is Luton, which is a bit of a hotspot for certain religious extremists - no names mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    So I don't know about you, but if they know there is a huge load of unexplored ordinance 6 miles from where people live you'd think they would want to take the time find and get rid of the ordinance before some kids end up finding them. Much like he did when he was 10 YEARS OLD!
    We fought the largest war in history on our doorstep, imagine how much explosive material they buried. It probably isn't practical to blow it all up.