Thread: Homework help

Homework help

Economics problem involving matrices the 2 parts I am having trouble with is making the initial matrix and answering what coditions need to be met for the inverse of the cofactor matrix to exist (I think its just that the determinant of said matrix cant =0 but that seems too easy). I can solve it pretty easily once I have the matrix.

Y=C+I+G
    C=a+b(Y-T)
    T=d+tY

G+I=Y-C+0+0
    0=bY-C-bT+a
    0=tY+0+T+0

This is the part that is tripping me up, never had I done a problem where G and I are the exogenous variables, I don't know how to incorporate a.
    Please help =(.
    [1 -1 0 0][Y] [1 1]
    |b -1-b 1||C|= |0 0|[G]
    [t 0 1 0][T] [0 0][I]
    a
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by INVASMANIXOXOXO View Post
    Economics problem involving matrices the 2 parts I am having trouble with is making the initial matrix and answering what coditions need to be met for the inverse of the cofactor matrix to exist (I think its just that the determinant of said matrix cant =0 but that seems too easy). I can solve it pretty easily once I have the matrix.

Y=C+I+G
    C=a+b(Y-T)
    T=d+tY

G+I=Y-C+0+0
    0=bY-C-bT+a
    0=tY+0+T+0

This is the part that is tripping me up, never had I done a problem where G and I are the exogenous variables, I don't know how to incorporate a.
    Please help =(.
    [1 -1 0 0][Y] [1 1]
    |b -1-b 1||C|= |0 0|[G]
    [t 0 1 0][T] [0 0][I]
    a
    When do you ever incorporate exogenous variables into a model?

Y=C+I+G
    C=a+b(Y-T)
    T=d+tY

G+I=Y-C+0+0
    0=bY-C-bT+a
    0=tY+0+T+0

Please help =(.
    [1 -1 0 0][Y] [1 1]
    |b -1-b 1||C|= |0 0|[G]
    [t 0 1 0][T] [0 0][I]
    a
    Is it possible this is the matrix?

[1 -1 0 ][Y] [1 1 0][G]
    |b -1-b ||C|= |0 0 -1|[I]
    [t 0 1 ][T] [0 0 0][a]

And hes doing it to torture us, we didn't do anything like this in class. Well I mean this specifically.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it possible this is the matrix?

[1 -1 0 ][Y] [1 1 0][G]
    |b -1-b ||C|= |0 0 -1|[I]
    [t 0 1 ][T] [0 0 0][a]

And hes doing it to torture us, we didn't do anything like this in class. Well I mean this specifically.
    TBH, it seems like you're miles ahead of me in the major.

Y (output)= Consumption, investment, and Government expenditures (i'm assuming the problem assumes a closed economy for simplicity)

Consumption= Y-T(mpc)

T= (taxes-transfers)

G=(net taxes-gov expenditure)

Public Savings, Private Savings (yada yada)

What in the flying fuck are you doing? If you're also taking intermediate macro, your class is on steroids relative to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    TBH, it seems like you're miles ahead of me in the major.

Y (output)= Consumption, investment, and Government expenditures (i'm assuming the problem assumes a closed economy for simplicity)

Consumption= Y-T(mpc)

T= (taxes-transfers)

G=(net taxes-gov expenditure)

Public Savings, Private Savings (yada yada)

What in the flying fuck are you doing? If you're also taking intermediate macro, your class is on steroids relative to mine.
    Welcome to your next semester in economics... Quantitive methods. Thought this would be an easy major... nope.

Edit: I found the answer I guess see tutorial 3 part 1. Easier than I thought you treat G and I as 1 element of the right side vector (whateer it is called and incorporate both a and d into the same vector. https://open.uct.ac.za/bitstream/han...pdf?sequence=3
    Last edited by INVASMANIXOXOXO; 2014-10-01 at 06:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Algebra always freaked me out
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to your next semester in economics... Quantitive methods. Thought this would be an easy major... nope.
    What? econometrics?

I'm already shaking. I have to take my directed research course in conjunction with that. So I have to apply it in a class that revolves around one damn paper while learning it.

And no, I wouldn't call my major an easy one.

This is the class right before econometrics. Some one told me econometrics might be a little bit easier because you use software to solve everything (which we are learning to do also, there is a software portion of the exam I am going to have)

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the class right before econometrics. Some one told me econometrics might be a little bit easier because you use software to solve everything (which we are learning to do also, there is a software portion of the exam I am going to have)
    I might be not have to learn what appears to be interesting economic theory in order to get my bachelors.

Bummer.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I clicked your link. The material wasn't actually that bad until I got to the matrices. Everything else seemed doable from past experiences if I sat down and did it.