Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Parents of autistic girl kicked off bus, branded racist for singing about Peppa Pig.

Source(s):

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/26/couple...-baby-4882931/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-racist.html

I stumbled upon this particular story today and couldn't help but raise an eyebrow in confusion. It's not an unusual sight or sound for parents to try and soothe their young through the use of a song, story or amusing noises in a vast variety of different places. It's also not racist to make pig noises as in England we do not have an aversion to pigs as part of our culture.

I feel very sorry for the parents and child involved. Aside from being embarassing it seemed like the bus driver didn't bother to listen to their side of the story and simply punished them because the 'racist' card was pulled out and used in a false manner. That highlights a common problem in today's society due to people going out of their way to get other people into trouble in their quest to be make a profession out of being offended.

So I figured I'd make a thread to discuss the subject and related issues! Please remain constructive. Thanks!

We should really be more tolerant of pigs. If people could overcome their swinophobia I'm sure they would become mans new best friend.

I once fed an empty corn cob to a pig, it loved it! I bet there's a fair bit of nutrition in it too.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-09-27 at 07:18 AM.

I like pigs. I remember being taken to visit a farm when I was a kid and seeing ducks, horses, pigs and all sorts of other animals. I suspect that it was what led to me becoming a vegetarian for a couple of years before eventually shying away from that sort of lifestyle.

It's not racist at all to make pig noises, nor is it offensive to Islam in any way. The Peppa Pig theme tune does not even refer to eating pork, as the pigs in the show are the actual characters.

It sounds to me that this Muslim lady doesn't even understand her own religion, and was just using the 'racist' card to be abusive and antisocial. Essentially the Qur'an prohibits the consumption of pork unless it is necessary to eat it due to there being nothing else to eat. So whilst in every day life Muslims dont eat pork, a starving Muslim is absolutely allowed to eat it.

He has only forbidden you what dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that over which any other (name) than (that of) Allah has been invoked; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring, nor exceeding the limit, no sin shall be upon him; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

— Qurʼan, Sura 2 (Al-Baqara), ayat 17

Well I won't feel bad for asking since OP seems eager. What is Peppa Pig?

I love how parents are so entitled that they can make whatever noises they want when they want.
    They have no right to piss other passengers off. I don't know what this racist shit is about but they should respect others and not make so much noise
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Metro
    The couple claim a fellow bus passenger, who was reportedly wearing a hijab, took offence to the snorting sounds in the music
    Knew that this would be part of the issue somewhere before I even opened the link.

They would hate me in the morning then, because I can often be caught having a sneaky sausage and bacon barm on the way to my voluntary work.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Well I won't feel bad for asking since OP seems eager. What is Peppa Pig?
    guessing the issue is the song at 1m06

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    I love how parents are so entitled that they can make whatever noises they want when they want.
    They have no right to piss other passengers off. I don't know what this racist shit is about but they should respect others and not make so much noise
    people like the one that got mad do not deserve respect and should fuck off out of existence.

they'll probably get killed by that woman's relatives or something now.

Deleted
    Really..? THAT is what you take from this article..?..... REALLY..?!

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    people like the one that got mad do not deserve respect and should fuck off out of existence.

they'll probably get killed by that woman's relatives or something now.
    People have no respect, if you can't control your kid don't be selfish and take it on public transport

Deleted
    They look like they just stepped off the set of Jeremy Kyle. I reckon there's more to this story.

Also, does Peppa Pig even make pig noises? I thought she spoke like a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    Really..? THAT is what you take from this article..?..... REALLY..?!
    Yes poeple that make excessive noise on public transport should be evicted immediately

Yes poeple that make excessive noise on public transport should be evicted immediately
    They were not evicted because of the level of noise, but because someone falsely accused them of being racist. The article makes no mention of how loud the parents were singing, at all. However as they were trying to calm their daughter down it is very likely they were singing fairly quietly, as you do when trying to sing a child to sleep.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt that would have actually happened..... i live in Sheffield and have been catching buses here everyday since i was 11 and i don't think a bus driver would stop and kick someone off for that, more than likely the child was making a lot of noise/ ringing the bell and the bus driver/ other passengers were getting annoyed.

They were not evicted because of the level of noise, but because someone falsely accused them of being racist.
    'the driver disputes the claim that allegations of racism were involved.'

Quote Originally Posted by Lyllian View Post
    They were not evicted because of the level of noise, but because someone falsely accused them of being racist. The article makes no mention of how loud the parents were singing, at all. However as they were trying to calm their daughter down it is very likely they were singing fairly quietly, as you do when trying to sing a child to sleep.
    There is no mention of sleep in the story, songing at any volume is annoying. Just another self entitled parent with no regard for other people.
    We have the word of a person that is obviously self entitled, hardly a reliable source

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    We should really be more tolerant of pigs. If people could overcome their swinophobia I'm sure they would become mans new best friend.
    They're really smart--smarter than dogs. And clean..they'd probably make a great pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    I like pigs. I remember being taken to visit a farm when I was a kid and seeing ducks, horses, pigs and all sorts of other animals. I suspect that it was what led to me becoming a vegetarian for a couple of years before eventually shying away from that sort of lifestyle.
    I went vegetarian the first time after watching some piglets play at a zoo, they acted exactly like puppies.

Deleted
    There is no mention of sleep in the story, songing at any volume is annoying. Just another self entitled parent with no regard for other people.
    We have the word of a person that is obviously self entitled, hardly a reliable source
    The kid is autistic...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    They're really smart--smarter than dogs. And clean..they'd probably make a great pet.

I went vegetarian the first time after watching some piglets play at a zoo, they acted exactly like puppies.
    Yup I knew a couple friends that did. They're.... like dogs really

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    The kid is autistic...

- - - Updated - - -
    I'm

Yup I knew a couple friends that did. They're.... like dogs really
    And? That makes them exempt for common courtesy?

Deleted
    And? That makes them exempt for common courtesy?
    Do you even know what that means?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I doubt that would have actually happened..... i live in Sheffield and have been catching buses here everyday since i was 11 and i don't think a bus driver would stop and kick someone off for that, more than likely the child was making a lot of noise/ ringing the bell and the bus driver/ other passengers were getting annoyed.

'the driver disputes the claim that allegations of racism were involved.'
    I lived in Bradford for two years and often witnessed the 'racist' card used inappropriately. Incidents such as this are, unfortunately, becoming increasingly common - perhaps as a direct result of modern society's obsession with political correctness.