Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why Are YouTube comment's So Bad?

So i don't really understand something. Why is it that the comments on youtube videos are so much worse than much of the inteernet. Why do so many bash people, act racist, curse up a storm, and generally act immature? It's as if the comment system is ran by children. What's the deal with youtube that makes it so much more toxic than other websites with comments?

Alot of famous yters are even disabling comments now

I was reading an article about how 4chan, acting like they were from reddit, were posting really mean things on youtube. People blame 4chan for everything though.

I guess youtube has a more diverse membership? There's no moderation to reign them in unless they do something really stupid like making death threats.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I heard Yahoo is worse.

But I get what you are saying, it's probably because people know they can get away with it, with some very few exceptions. Also, every video on youtube is just screaming for "what is your opinion" and well... some people take that a little more grim than others.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    So i don't really understand something. Why is it that the comments on youtube videos are so much worse than much of the inteernet. Why do so many bash people, act racist, curse up a storm, and generally act immature? It's as if the comment system is ran by children. What's the deal with youtube that makes it so much more toxic than other websites with comments?

Alot of famous yters are even disabling comments now
    Because that's the real nature of people. Once they are annonymous and there are no moderators around, people show their true faces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its full of trolls and generally rude people, i have no clue as to why the youtube community in particular is that bad but id guess its not getting moderated in the same way a forum does.

Its best avoided.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly because youtube is filled with 12 year olds acting tough.

Because they miss any kind of considerable moderation. Like, look at this board, it's bad enough as it is, isn't it? Well it could be worse if there weren't mods around that stumble across things and enforce rules.

Now look at YouTube. If you see every video as a single "thread" the thing is a million times bigger than MMO-C. You can basically have discussions in novel length there without anyone ever controlling what is being posted. They don't even have word filters or auto-report functions. Sure you can flag posts as inappropriate, but the sheer size of YouTube prohibits the few mods they have from reacting to everything in real time, or in many cases at all. What they do care about though is copyrighted material, but just because this could cost them money, so this is where their effort goes. People being dicks in discussions? Not so much. And the more people do it, the more will go along, and the less effective YouTube's moderation attempts become.

And so, YouTube has practically created a lawless video-based discussion forum for everything with hundreds of millions of users world-wide. That's what went wrong. If you post videos there it's best to disable comments altogether, since nothing of value can be gained from them anymore.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    There is an option to disable comments....and you don't have to read them if it bothers you so much.
    where. Please god! Tell me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpath View Post
    Mostly because youtube is filled with 12 year olds acting tough.
    As opposed to any other website? >.>

But yeah, YouTube seems particularly bad.
    Aelmagus
    <Delusions of Grandeur>
    [H] Runetotem - US

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oh, PVP twinks. I thought this was about Anduin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I am so triggered right now.

This sums it up perfectly.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

Make them post using their full name, should help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Essentially, lack of moderation. Imagine if MMOC let anyone/everyone post whatever they wanted without pruning threads/posts, infracting users, etc. Youtube vids are only moderated by the person who made the video, and when thousands of people are posting on a vid and there's only like, 1 person available to read through each and every comment and prune/report them as needed, it gets unsustainable. Cracked.com has some of the best mod action on the internet, and they have to jump through flaming hula hoops to keep discussions from devolving into the usual shitfests.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    Make them post using their full name, should help.
    Tried that. Didn't.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not Youtube, I assure you.

Most video aggregator websites (Break, Ebaums, etc), every video has tens of pages of just random jabber from people, usually having nothing to do with the video itself. It's pretty bad stuff too, most of the time. Personally, I don't ever read comments on articles or videos, yet I know a number of people who will click play on a video, not even WATCH it, and immediately scroll to the comments as if that were the important part of the page.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

sorry not talking about your videos. I meant ALL videos you watch on youtube.

sorry not talking about your videos. I meant ALL videos you watch on youtube.
    If you get Noscript, you can block the script that allows comments to be shown. I think it's googlesyndication.com

- - - Updated - - -

Ummmm, just don't read them.
    BUT THEY'RE THERE! THEY MUST BE READ!

10+ Year Old Account
    Liveleak is pretty... "interesting". A lot worse than YT, IMO.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyese View Post
    Essentially, lack of moderation. Imagine if MMOC let anyone/everyone post whatever they wanted without pruning threads/posts, infracting users, etc. Youtube vids are only moderated by the person who made the video, and when thousands of people are posting on a vid and there's only like, 1 person available to read through each and every comment and prune/report them as needed, it gets unsustainable. Cracked.com has some of the best mod action on the internet, and they have to jump through flaming hula hoops to keep discussions from devolving into the usual shitfests.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried that. Didn't.
    When did they try that? I missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

It was a short-lived experiment. Of course, people bitched.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he means the merge with google plus, although that does not stop people from using fake information or a screen name there.