Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Only if you can pull off the look honestly.

And the suit has to be European tailored and not one of those oversized confection suits people in the US wear :P
    You are mistaken. It's not a European/American thing, it's a cost thing. What you are thinking of is people that just buy a suit off the rack. You're generalization is forgiven though.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Only if you have the look for it

There's a guy in my college class that wears them because he has to leave for work right after.

He is 230 pounds. Obviously it looks stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    You are mistaken. It's not a European/American thing, it's a cost thing. What you are thinking of is people that just buy a suit off the rack. You're generalization is forgiven though.
    Savile Row is in Europe, you know. And talking about bespoke it's useless to talk about it if it's not SR or Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    Nonsense. My husband is "short" (5'6) and he looks great in a suit.
    He had his suits custom made, so there's that.
    No offence but he will never look good in anything he wears. Maybe better compared to himself but not good, that's for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitters View Post
    Only if you have the look for it

There's a guy in my college class that wears them because he has to leave for work right after.

He is 230 pounds. Obviously it looks stupid.
    What does weight have to do with it? Even a properly tailored suit on a larger individual can look good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suits are a symbol of mass identification, as much as a symbol for the business class.... in a way, they are a classy type of uniform...
    The mass identification is not desirable for many. It makes you only look like the next guy.
    You're blending in.. All you need in addition is, that business briefcase aaaand bam, you're blending in, just like all those hundreds or thousands of other "grey mice" that trotting to their 9 - 5 office jobs. Never found this to be desirable.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Megraam View Post
    Savile Row is in Europe, you know. And talking about bespoke it's useless to talk about it if it's not SR or Italy.
    It depends on the look you go for. And no offense, but I wouldn't wear a British suit as I don't like the style. So ... yeah. Opinions are fun.

And let's not forget that Italian suit style varies by city. It's possible to like Milanese and dislike Roman.
    Last edited by Reg; 2014-09-27 at 04:58 PM.

It depends on the look you go for. And no offense, but I wouldn't wear a British suit as I don't like the style. So ... yeah. Opinions are fun.
    SR tailors make it different way, single breasted suits with sleek silhouette are made there as well. Some people like "oversized confection" suits as well, otherwise they won't wear it.

10+ Year Old Account
    SR tailors make it different way, single breasted suits with sleek silhouette are made there as well. Some people like "oversized confection" suits as well, otherwise they won't wear it.
    Again, the off the rack look isn't a preference, it's a cost thing. Some people are forced to wear suits to work and don't want to, so they buy the cheapest thing possible. That often means ill-fitting.

No offence but he will never look good in anything he wears. Maybe better compared to himself but not good, that's for sure.
    You must have pictures to know right?

Also personally no, I feel awkward wearing a suit, mostly because I lack the broad shoulders to fit most, I'd need to get more of a custom fit I suppose.

Deleted
    Oh I'm sorry... Didn't know you were the supreme judge of what looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You must have pictures to know right?
    Of course not, having his height is enough to make an objective verdict.

Also personally no, I feel awkward wearing a suit, mostly because I lack the broad shoulders to fit most, I'd need to get more of a custom fit I suppose.
    Most certainly you have wide hips/fat waist and beer belly not "not-a-broad" shoulders at all.
    Making custom fit is not a problem anyway.

Again, the off the rack look isn't a preference, it's a cost thing. Some people are forced to wear suits to work and don't want to, so they buy the cheapest thing possible. That often means ill-fitting.
    Buying cheapest thing possible won't make you look good no matter if it's suit or something else.

Oh I'm sorry... Didn't know you were the supreme judge of what looks good.
    It's okay, you can't change anything anyway so you have to accept it, I understand. I am sorry for your (both) loss anyway.

Not necessarily more desired, but I always feel better when I am in a suit. I am very much like Barney from HIMYM, always suited up!
    If you always wear a suit then it loses its appeal with people you frequently see.

Of course not, having his height is enough to make an objective verdict.

Most certainly you have wide hips/fat waist and beer belly not "not-a-broad" shoulders at all.
    Making custom fit is not a problem anyway.
    Lol no, I'm a twig. 140 lbs and 5'9". Why don't you just stop assuming before you seem even sillier?

All you've proven in this thread is how ignorant you are, assuming your ideal "height is attractive" is the universal accepted law, which it isn't. Some people like shorter guys.

Lol no, I'm a twig. 140 lbs and 5'9". Why don't you just stop assuming before you seem even sillier?

All you've proven in this thread is how ignorant you are, assuming your ideal "height is attractive" is the universal accepted law, which it isn't. Some people like shorter guys.
    Ah, so you feel yourself insulted personally, I get it now. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you even with facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    If you always wear a suit then it loses its appeal with people you frequently see.
    I don't dress up for them. I do it for me.

Deleted
    Nonsense. My husband is "short" (5'6) and he looks great in a suit.
    He had his suits custom made, so there's that.
    It was more of an opinion than fact

Maybe on the odd person I find it looks good, but most short people I see in suits look weird. Though it may be because it's harder for shorter people to get a non fitted / custom made suit that's the right size, usually the end up too big.

Ah, so you feel yourself insulted personally, I get it now. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you even with facts.
    No, I don't feel insulted, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm at work I would be laughing on the ground right now at how childish you're proving yourself to be when pushed.

I posted that I personally don't like suits and you start claiming "WELL YOU MUST BE FAT THEN", and then when you're proven wrong, you try to claim you're still right? Just go lol, find something better to do.

10+ Year Old Account

Buying cheapest thing possible won't make you look good no matter if it's suit or something else.

Not arguing that point. It's pretty much a "no shit Sherlock" statement. But that's not the original point you were making. You were probably too busy trying to think of a way to say short people can't dress nice, which is another absurdity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    It was more of an opinion than fact

Maybe on the odd person I find it looks good, but most short people I see in suits look weird. Though it may be because it's harder for shorter people to get a non fitted / custom made suit that's the right size, usually the end up too big.
    Yeah, my husband can't buy off the rack suits, he has to get them custom made, so I get your point, but a nice fitting suit looks great on everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Whenever i wear a suit i feel the glance of womens eyes upon me everywhere i go. Women make more eye contact and actually look back over their shoulders. Now it could be they are solely looking out of envy or displeasure, or maybe i was carrying a string of toilet paper under my shoes. Still i feel more desired than ever when wearing a suit.

What about you? Do you believe it makes you more desirable?
    Yeah. When I'm wearing my birthday suit.