7+ Year Old Account

Thinking about rerolling to prot warrior for WoD - questions!

Hay fellow warriors!

So, i've been a DPS class ever since the start of TBC - tanked in vanilla, but by the time a lot has changed in the class so i wonder:

How's it like to be a prot warrior? Do you enjoy it a lot? (What do you think about the changes for WoD, better or worse?)

How good will prot warrior's hande AoE tanking in WoD? (Since i havent played it for AGES, i don't want to be That one who loses aggro on trash pulls)

Do you think it's a class who require a lot of keybinds, a lot of different attacks to keep the TPS up? (i of course don't mind it, and you can macro a lot tho! But i wonder, with the downscaling of attacks in WoD)

Last one: If i want a class who're not insane hard to play as tank but still challanging and fun, with good movemt and not only 123shift123 - should i pick a warrior or keep looking for another class? (i'm casual raider, like.. yeah, i do normal and by the time i will get into heroic raiding tho. no stress)

- Zith.

Quote Originally Posted by zith5 View Post
    Hay fellow warriors!

So, i've been a DPS class ever since the start of TBC - tanked in vanilla, but by the time a lot has changed in the class so i wonder:

How's it like to be a prot warrior? Do you enjoy it a lot? (What do you think about the changes for WoD, better or worse?)

How good will prot warrior's hande AoE tanking in WoD? (Since i havent played it for AGES, i don't want to be That one who loses aggro on trash pulls)

Do you think it's a class who require a lot of keybinds, a lot of different attacks to keep the TPS up? (i of course don't mind it, and you can macro a lot tho! But i wonder, with the downscaling of attacks in WoD)

Last one: If i want a class who're not insane hard to play as tank but still challanging and fun, with good movemt and not only 123shift123 - should i pick a warrior or keep looking for another class? (i'm casual raider, like.. yeah, i do normal and by the time i will get into heroic raiding tho. no stress)

- Zith.
    For what I've been reading, Prot warriors are a lot of fun in Beta right now, especially with Gladiator. Don't know what you mean with your last paragraph but currently the tank with the best movement are Brewmasters and are kinda of fun but require quite a skill cap to be used effectively.
    Howl to the stars wishing I could be one....

Prot Warrior in WOD is very very similar to Prot Warrior in MOP. The core playstyle is one of the most unchanged of all specs, so you should try playing it now and if you like it then you will probably like it in WOD. I personally think it's awesome, I tanked some Highmaul Normal Mode on the Beta earlier this evening and had a good time. I went in there as a DPS but one of the tanks left after one wipe and I offered to help out. I stayed tank for the remainder of the raid then, no threat issues and I felt very much in control of my own survival.

Like I said though, it's very much the same as in MOP.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    My Prot Warrior is my favourite character right now. There's so much freedom in your skills; no strict rotation to get bogged down by, and no 'Pool for this. Wait for this. Save for this' stuff; you just hack away with your skills (Abiding by a fairly loose priority system) and then decide if you want to use your rage on extra DPS or extra survivability. And then you've got 4 different mobility skills, each with a short cooldown, just for fun. Leaping around, whacking stuff and leaping around some more. It's fun. Proc-based cooldown resets keeps combat from getting too stale, and there are so many creative ways to combine mobility and utility for you to play around with. If you like freedom in your classes, Prot was made for you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DFTR View Post
    My Prot Warrior is my favourite character right now. There's so much freedom in your skills; no strict rotation to get bogged down by, and no 'Pool for this. Wait for this. Save for this' stuff; you just hack away with your skills (Abiding by a fairly loose priority system) and then decide if you want to use your rage on extra DPS or extra survivability. And then you've got 4 different mobility skills, each with a short cooldown, just for fun. Leaping around, whacking stuff and leaping around some more. It's fun. Proc-based cooldown resets keeps combat from getting too stale, and there are so many creative ways to combine mobility and utility for you to play around with. If you like freedom in your classes, Prot was made for you.
    This sounds so awesome! Pretty much what i'm looking for! prob going to throw an instant 90 boost and get a grip around the class & spec!

Thx everyone for the replys!

-Zith.

I switched at the end of WotLK and fell in love immediately. My favorite part is the mobility we have and of course I really enjoy the whole feel of shield slams. I've done several of the 5-mans in WoD and the playstyle feels the same to me. The only change to my rotation was using a glyphed heroic strike instead of cleave and being on top of switching to the target that the dps randomly pick.

I felt it was still worth target switching to get a shield slam in on the bigger trash, but a well placed Thunder Clap gives you plenty of threat. If you are struggling at first try taking Shockwave, it has a slightly lower cooldown than Dragon Roar, and use it right behind TC. In time you won't need this crutch and can switch back to the recommended rotations.

I should also point out that threat isn't a huge gameplay mechanic. I keep omen up to bitch at people who have taunt on, otherwise its useless.

I tend to keybind all of my reactive skills such as movement, active migitation, and oh-sh!t buttons, but from a TPS stand point it's really only five buttons now. Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate, Thunder Clap and Heroic Strike. Using Dragon Roar is a DPS/TPS increase but it certainly isn't required just to hold threat.

You definitely want a warrior or a monk. DK is a close third but don't have the movement you are looking for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tarix View Post
    I switched at the end of WotLK and fell in love immediately. My favorite part is the mobility we have and of course I really enjoy the whole feel of shield slams. I've done several of the 5-mans in WoD and the playstyle feels the same to me. The only change to my rotation was using a glyphed heroic strike instead of cleave and being on top of switching to the target that the dps randomly pick.

I felt it was still worth target switching to get a shield slam in on the bigger trash, but a well placed Thunder Clap gives you plenty of threat. If you are struggling at first try taking Shockwave, it has a slightly lower cooldown than Dragon Roar, and use it right behind TC. In time you won't need this crutch and can switch back to the recommended rotations.

I should also point out that threat isn't a huge gameplay mechanic. I keep omen up to bitch at people who have taunt on, otherwise its useless.

I tend to keybind all of my reactive skills such as movement, active migitation, and oh-sh!t buttons, but from a TPS stand point it's really only five buttons now. Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate, Thunder Clap and Heroic Strike. Using Dragon Roar is a DPS/TPS increase but it certainly isn't required just to hold threat.

You definitely want a warrior or a monk. DK is a close third but don't have the movement you are looking for.

Thanks! Seems like you guys got me in to reroll tank totally! I agree with the "Shield bashing - feeling", it's amazing to have a big, heavy shield and just smack it in their face's ;D!

Also, FYI, Bulwark of Azzinoth is a required xmog.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Quote Originally Posted by Jaese View Post
    Also, FYI, Bulwark of Azzinoth is a required xmog.
    I prefer Heroic Ultimate Protection of the Emperor more. Too bad people really don't run Heroic ToT anymore as it's the last piece of my Prot transmog I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    I prefer Heroic Ultimate Protection of the Emperor more. Too bad people really don't run Heroic ToT anymore as it's the last piece of my Prot transmog I need.
    after lvl100, you can always go back there with a few friends ;-)

I'm also returning to main a prot war in WoD, already polishing my T6 with Bulwark to use
    Don't make funny of me, If you don't understand what I said.
    I'm just a guy with poor studies, that don't have english as first language

Quote Originally Posted by Diograo View Post
    after lvl100, you can always go back there with a few friends ;-)

I'm also returning to main a prot war in WoD, already polishing my T6 with Bulwark to use
    I doubt that with the increase in player power at 100 that Dark Animus Heroic will be easy enough for 3-4.