Thread: [UK] Fracking

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[UK] Fracking

It seems to be becomming more and more of a 'hot topic' but living down here in Cardiff it isn't one that appears to affect my area directly. That can't be said for the more northern parts of the UK though, so I'm sure some of our posters in that area will have formed an opinion on the subject.

Also, there's plenty of US (and hey, if it's being done near you chip in, I'm sure its not just the US and the UK who are doing it, or plan to at least) posters here so some must be living near fracking - what are your experiences of it so far, and how long has it been going on?

I'm asking here because (as irational as you may think it is) I don't particularly trust "teh mediaz" to paint an unbiased picture regarding something with so much money invovled. Not that I expect anyone here to either but at least its more personal

So I'll lead with a couple of questions anyway : The easy one - are you in favour of fracking in your area, what are the risks/dangers that *you* are worried about, and what do you think about this: http://www.theguardian.com/environme...roach-fracking - would you be happy to allow (I mean, labouring under the illusion of having any actual say in the matter for the time being) fracking to happen near you in return for community funding/restitution from the energy companies; or does the "compensation" approach make you more worried?

Like I say, I haven't formed a full opinion yet, it strikes me as dangerous and that the long term ecological effects my not be fully appreciated yet; but at the same time it galls to be beholden to EDF for our electricity, and being energy independant would be a good thing (right?), and more sustainable methods may not be fully achievable yet. It could well turn out that the risks are very low, we're pretty clever after all.

Note: I searched for 'fracking' and there didn't seem to be any recent threads on the topic. Seeing as it's no longer a "prospect" and 'they' are gonna start drilling exploratory wells soon to search for economically retrievable sources, thought we could revisit it, if it has infact got it's own topic somewhere. Apologies if its a duplicate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Fracking is terrible your water goes on fire good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure, if it's done right, then it's safe. I'm sure we will be hearing a lot more about it, but at first thought, it sounds bad.

I heard that when it was done in Blackpool that there were earth tremors and there is a chance it can poison water supply.

They are futility fighting it in St Tammany parish in Louisiana where a company is trying to drill for exploration. It requires a tremendous amount of fresh water, produces a lot of waste, is hardly regulated, and any dumb fuck company who does not know how to seal a well can get into the business.

The real problem is no regulation and wells not sealed correctly so they leak into the ground water causing flare outs. Also infrastructure to funnel the gas to refineries or else you have to flare out the excess gas and just burn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I'm not sure, if it's done right, then it's safe.

I heard that when it was done in Blackpool that there were earth tremors and there is a chance it can poison water supply.
    Those are the only risks?

There are extremists on both sides. There are, on one side, those who claim fracking is absolutely unsafe, will make earthquakes, destroy your water, and eat your children (Okay that last one is made up). The other side claims fracking is absolutely safe and provides people with jobs and income.

Me? I am in the middle. I believe that fracking used to be done poorly and really did ruin people's water supply. But, now, they know how to do it safely. They create an impenetrable barrier between what is pumping in to create the cracks so far below the surface it won't affect the drinking water. That barrier is what I think has been improved on and is not really an issue with safety anymore.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Sure there are lots more, but that's when it's done badly.

So does sound like a big risk to be taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Me? I am in the middle. I believe that fracking used to be done poorly and really did ruin people's water supply. But, now, they know how to do it safely. They create an impenetrable barrier between what is pumping in to create the cracks so far below the surface it won't affect the drinking water. That barrier is what I think has been improved on and is not really an issue with safety anymore.
    I think currently I kinda feel unless we NEED to get the energy out NOW or we're facing brownouts and the like; it would be better to wait until the last possible moment with the best possible available technology to minimise the risk. If these resources are there, they won't be going anywhere in the next 25-50 years so why the rush (apart from the £££ of course, everyone wants a slice of that while they're still alive to spend it )
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I understand in the early days they didn't know how to do it properly. Today it's much safer. Like anything though, not a 100% safe.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't really matter whether you like fracking or not, the Government is going to let them do it regardless.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...lic-opposition

Having a public consultation was a bit pointless, as 99% opposed it and they ignored their wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    My family owns land in Western Pennsylvania in the Marcellus Shale hot spot. No one's died, water is fine and no earth tremors. In a 1st world country you'll be fine - the tech is there to do it safely and anyone who messes up will be penalized so harshly it's a financial deterrent to do it sloppy. It's great money for farmers or people with lots of land who wouldn't have anything otherwise.

Not everyone can reside in a major city and reap the benefits of all the labor and production in the heart land.
    What about when something goes wrong. Wasn't there a documentary about your area on HBO with people lighting there water on fire and the fracking companies paying to ship in bottled water?

10+ Year Old Account
    anyone who messes up will be penalized so harshly it's a financial deterrent to do it sloppy.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Your fines for workplace fatalities are already so pathetic you'd be better off going back to weregilds. What flight is delusion makes you think that environmental damage would provoke a larger fine, much less a fine that actually would get paid?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Fracking is a disgusting practice and I would gladly protest if it was happening near me.
    can you explain why you hate it so much? i don't know much about it, everytime its on the news they just interview some hippy shouting about earthquakes and bad water, and then someone in a suit talking about money.

I think I read that the Green MP for Brighton was arrested at a protest against a fracking site; publicity stunt or integrity, I couldn't say...

Don't you think if people were really lighting their water on fire (and it was due from fracking) the media would be all over it?
    Like I said there was a documentary.

Deleted
    The ironic part is that the company wanting to do it, fracking is banned in their country.

Either way, it's awful. Pretty sad it's going to go ahead.

Deleted
    The problem for me is twofold. Firstly the enviornmental damage of course. This would be (almost) justifiable if the economic benefits of fracking would actually benefit the people whom it will effect. Of course in true British fashion only the rich will so it can frack right off.

There are actually numerous documentaries out there. One on Netflix currently dispels all the "myths" anti-frackers put forward. I didn't want that one either, but my facebook feed is full of people who support fracking recommending it. I'll check out your recommendation just to be more informed as to the opinions out there, but I'm not one of those people who think documentaries are the end all be all of truth. Pick any Michael Moore movie or any of the things the idiot who did the "sting" on ACORN if you need more evidence that just because something is labeled a documentary, doesn't mean its accurate.
    You said the media wasn't covering it. They were so much to the point documentaries were being made. Now I guess it's to late at least for PA and the media buzzards have moved on to the next latest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Those are bad enough, there are enough natural earthquakes, you don't need to create your own - and yes, those can destroy buildings without prior warning.
    These are not 'earth tremors' like those when a lorry passes you by.

A documentary hardly has the same effect as a Rather, Couric, Maddow or O'Reilly bringing it before the people.
    They did I guess you missed it.