10+ Year Old Account

Am I playing Ramp?

So I needed to retune my druid deck, which I really only break out to get the play X creatures over 5 cost quests. Had a pretty good night with it in the 10 rank range last night, going 10-2. One of those 'ok I'll play until I lose then go to bed' type deals...then 6 wins later just had to log off b/c it was getting too late. But then later the thought occurred to me that I never really looked into what a Ramp deck looked like since I never really played druid much. Deck list is as follows.

2x Innervate
    2x Power of the Wild
    2x Wild Growth
    2x Wrath
    2x Nerubian Egg
    2x Acolyte of Pain
    2x Swipe
    2x Chillwind Yeti
    2x Defender of Argus
    2x Keeper of the Grove
    1x Nourish
    1x Starfall
    2x Druid of the Claw
    2x Spectral Knight
    1x Stampeding Kodo
    2x Ironbark Protector
    1x Kel'Thuzad

Like I said went decent in the middling range but would be open to suggestions for improvement to push higher for next season. From the dozen games I played last night I found myself using my spells on turns 1-5 to keep board presence with some of the lower cost creatures to supplement. Then once turn 6 starts I just laying biggie after biggie and snowball from there.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Based on my memory for card costs you definitely have a deck that "ramps" up. But myself I thought 'playing ramp' meant your play style more than the deck. Probably just my interpretation.

Ramp is short for rampant growth, a card in Magic that is essentially equal to Wild Growth in hearthstone. Without wild growth, it'd be very difficult for a deck to be considered ramp, but once you do have it you'll need large lategame minions that you can just throw down turn after turn until the opponent is out of answers.

From what I can see, nerubian egg, acolyte, power of the wild, and kodo don't really belong. You some ancients (at least two lores), and some fat taunters like sludge belcher and sunwalker to stem the early game you gave up. Most ramp decks run a minimum of ~8 taunts.
    Last edited by kaiadam; 2014-09-30 at 12:01 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your deck isn't really a ramp up deck, it's more like a midrange.

You have some really weird starter cards such as acolyte, power of the wild and egg. I definately wouldn't run two for any of those. Also, your late game seems lacking. I'm no expert, but I don't think KT really belongs in your deck. I would replace him with either Rag or Cenarius, maybe even add both of them if you can. I would also add some ancient of war and lore since most ramp deck run 2 of each.
    Last edited by Mellinda; 2014-09-30 at 12:45 AM.

Your deck is really just a token variant with Wild Growths. They aren't worth it in token in my experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Your deck is really just a token variant with Wild Growths. They aren't worth it in token in my experience.
    Token? I had Power of the Wild and that was about it. Changed the deck slightly from Kaiadam and Mellinda's suggestions. Took out the eggs, PotW, Kodo, and 1 of the Acolytes for 2 Sludge Belchers, 2 Sunwalkers, 1 Ancient of Lore and Rag. I don't have the dust to make another Lore or an Ancient of War at the moment. I'm hesitant to take out the other Acoylte b/c I always seem to get 2 cards out of him every time I play him, but Nourish combined with the Lore I'm getting plenty of draw it seems. We'll see when I get a bit more dust for another Lore.

Without Lores and Wars, any ramp druid is going to suffer, I'd suggest pushing toward a midrange deck until you can get those cards. You could potentially fill the War spot with Ironbarks, however with BGH being so popular right now, this probably isn't the best move.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    2x Innervate
    2x Power of the Wild
    2x Wild Growth
    2x Wrath
    2x Nerubian Egg
    2x Acolyte of Pain
    2x Swipe
    2x Chillwind Yeti
    2x Defender of Argus
    2x Keeper of the Grove
    1x Nourish
    1x Starfall
    2x Druid of the Claw
    2x Spectral Knight
    1x Stampeding Kodo
    2x Ironbark Protector
    1x Kel'Thuzad
    Just my two cents (since my second main deck is a token/ramp druid deck). The Acolytes feel awkward, I'd consider replacing them for a turn 1 play (since you currently don't have one). You don't have cards that synergize well with Undertaker so I'd probably use 2x Zombie Chows instead, playing them on turn 1 gives incredible board advantage (and allows you to Wild Growth on turn 2 whilst your Zombie Chow trades).

Power of the Wild feels wasted in this deck, I'd much rather swap them for minions that again enable you to survive the early game (when you're at your weakest), I'd consider swapping for 2 Sludge Belchers (perfect to Innervate out for a Nourish play next turn).

Kel'Thuzad seemed good on paper, but I find it way to situational to use, I'd consider swapping it for something like Ancient of Lore (probably one of the best Druid Cards in game), I'd probably swap the Kodo for a second Ancient of Lore.

I'd also try and make room for a Cairne & a Ragnaros (I'd almost be tempted to the Knights for them).
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-10-03 at 01:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems a bit of a mix between the two since it has wild growth and power of the wild, but then it doesn't have violet teacher. I don't understand why you need to categorise a deck, it is just your druid deck (or someone else's if you stole it
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Just my two cents (since my second main deck is a token/ramp druid deck). The Acolytes feel awkward, I'd consider replacing them for a turn 1 play (since you currently don't have one). You don't have cards that synergize well with Undertaker so I'd probably use 2x Zombie Chows instead, playing them on turn 1 gives incredible board advantage (and allows you to Wild Growth on turn 2 whilst your Zombie Chow trades).

Power of the Wild feels wasted in this deck, I'd much rather swap them for minions that again enable you to survive the early game (when you're at your weakest), I'd consider swapping for 2 Sludge Belchers (perfect to Innervate out for a Nourish play next turn).

Kel'Thuzad seemed good on paper, but I find it way to situational to use, I'd consider swapping it for something like Ancient of Lore (probably one of the best Druid Cards in game), I'd probably swap the Kodo for a second Ancient of Lore.

I'd also try and make room for a Cairne & a Ragnaros (I'd almost be tempted to the Knights for them).
    KT ends up winning me games I was in danger of losing. If I've got 2-3 minions out and can't make favorable trades I drop him and clear the board. Happens with decent regularity that I can't see another card helping in those situations or preventing them from happening.

Deck list is now the following:

2x Innervate
    2x Wild Growth
    2x Wrath
    2x Swipe
    2x Chillwind Yeti
    2x Defender of Argus
    2x Keeper of the Grove
    1x Nourish
    1x Starfall
    2x Sludge Belcher
    2x Druid of the Claw
    2x Spectral Knight
    2x Sunwalker
    2x Ancient of Lore
    2x Ironbark Protector
    1x Kel'Thuzad
    1x Ragnaros

That is much more ramp-y.

Your first deck was basically a token druid because you had a fair amount of early-mid game cards that can get dumped out and then buffed. You also had no real late game threat (KT relies on you having a board of either large taunts or many, many lesser minions). Ancients of War are going to be much better than Ironbarks, so use them if you can. 1 less mana cost for 2 more health and 3 less attack. 5 attack is generally a nice amount. Sure, it's Death range, but it's out of BGH range. You also have the potential option of playing it as a 10/5 (please don't do this except for a very specific circumstance where the damage is necessary and it won't be dealt with).

I would probably drop the Arguses for Wars. Argus only really has a place if you are running Watcher druid, which uses Ancient Watchers as your wall to ramp to late. You have no 1-3 drops for Argus to buff so it's a dead draw until fairly late in the game most likely.

I might dump in a Black Knight if you find yourself facing mirrors or handlocks.