Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duniah View Post
    I'm spaniard and this map is wrong, only cataluña and País Vasco (yes, that's how they're called in spanish) want to be independet, just two regions!

I think you shouldn't speak of the situation of Spain if you don't live here and don't know what's happening.
    do what ever you want... just don't fuck up our beloved summer resorts
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I for one, don't take a stance on the issue, because I'm not Spanish or Catalan, I just live here, tho I figured I put things in a bit of a context.
    People from Spain= spaniard, spanish is just our languaje

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    And I thought we were trying to work towards one European state.

I do understand the desire to be "free" from Spain though. It's like being shackled to an economic trainwreck.
    I thought Catalonia wanted EU membership.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    do what ever you want... just don't fuck up our beloved summer resorts
    What beloved summer resorts are you talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I thought Catalonia wanted EU membership.
    Catalonia is in Spain and Spain is member of the EU...

10+ Year Old Account
    What beloved summer resorts are you talking about?
    the coast line...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    The situation of Catalonia is not comparable to that of Scotland. The similarities are only superficial.

United Kingdom/Great Britain while monarchies are in reality closer to a Federal format. They form a Union of countries.
    Yup, Catalonia actually has more autonomy and more powers currently as a region of Spain than Scotland does as part of the Union. =/

Catalans, Basques etc.... Those are regions that are very self identifying. Patriotic loyal to the region first, to the country second..
    Most of these seperatist movements come across to me as decisions based on selfishness. Catalonia is richer than the rest of Spain and they don't want to share that wealth with the rest of the country because if they hoard all that wealth for themselves they'd personally be better off financially. Same thing with Scotland and the oil.

People from Spain= spaniard, spanish is just our languaje
    Technically speaking there are plenty of Catalans and Basques who would disagree with that statement, so I just stayed away from controversy by mentioning both nationalities.

Now if you are referring to PEOPLE FROM SPAIN, the term Spanish and Spaniard are interchangeable.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...kiePolicy=true
    of or relating to Spain or Spaniards

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I'm no spain scientist but pretty sure if the "richest" part of the country were to suddenly...leave, that'd be bad.
    No shit. It will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeez View Post
    Yup, Catalonia actually has more autonomy and more powers currently as a region of Spain than Scotland does as part of the Union. =/
    I'd disagree with that, considering that Scotland's direct representation in Parliament is significantly greater than that of Catalonia or any other Spanish community in their Congress, the representation in the Senate is a token one alone, as the Spanish Senate doesn't actually wield any legislative power whatsoever. Neither is their justice system independent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Most of these seperatist movements come across to me as decisions based on selfishness. Catalonia is richer than the rest of Spain and they don't want to share that wealth with the rest of the country because if they hoard all that wealth for themselves they'd personally be better off financially. Same thing with Scotland and the oil.
    Catalonia is richer then certain parts of Spain (tho it's certainly the most industrialized, especially after decades of heavy investment from the central government). Madrid is by far the most prosperous and economically relevant region, yet nobody is screaming for independence, but that might have more to do with the ethnic diversity of Madrid. People in Madrid are from everywhere in Spain and abroad. Catalonia is just rocking the nationalism boat.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2014-09-30 at 10:46 AM.

Deleted
    much as I was against scottish independance, I supported the principle of a referendum to decide that.

People have to make their choices and should be free to do so. Otherwise its just oppression.

10+ Year Old Account
    In answer to is it right or wrong, that is easily answered by whether the people calling for the vote have the legal right to do so. If they do then it is right, if they don't it is wrong.

As to whether I think they should have the right - I supported the right to self determination in the case of Scotland, Gibraltar and the Falklands, so yes, I think regions should have the right to vote for independence. However, their right extends to lobbying their government for the permission if that is required, not that the right should be automatic and/or taken without consent.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2014-09-30 at 11:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    You are confusing two separate issues together, there are actually two questions:

a) The easy one: Should the constitutional court ban the referendum? Absolutely, the constitution of Spain clearly does not allow a single region to pursue independence.

b) the hard one: Should there be a referendum? And here I am not sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    much as I was against scottish independance, I supported the principle of a referendum to decide that.

People have to make their choices and should be free to do so. Otherwise its just oppression.
    Thats a fair point, but how far would you extend that right, should for example Barcelona have the right to hold their own referendum of independence?
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Deleted
    the coast line...
    The coast line is only beloved by foreigners xD

Last time I was in Gandia, Almeria and Galicia there were more Spaniards there than foreigners.

Deleted
    Technically speaking there are plenty of Catalans and Basques who would disagree with that statement, so I just stayed away from controversy by mentioning both nationalities.

Now if you are referring to PEOPLE FROM SPAIN, the term Spanish and Spaniard are interchangeable.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...kiePolicy=true
    Catalanes and vascos (I called them in my idiom) are spaniard... They live in Spain and are spaniard. I don't see any catalán or vasco speaking here so there's not point on staying away from controversy becasuse there's not such a thing in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Last time I was in Gandia, Almeria and Galicia there were more Spaniards there than foreigners.
    Maybe Almeria and galicia but gandia is full of tourist, spaniard people don't waste their time in gandia, there are allways drunk turists making troubles there.

Catalanes and vascos (I called them in my idiom) are spaniard... They live in Spain and are spaniard. I don't see any catalán or vasco speaking here so there's not point on staying away from controversy becasuse there's not such a thing in this thread.
    You can call them Catalans and Basques, it won't kill you, those are the English words we call them by, otherwise you might as well call Spanish, Españoles by that logic.

And again, you can be respectful of their stance and cultural values even if there is no one present to call you out.

Deleted
    Must be a reason why is hotel near hotel all Mediterranean coast from France to Portugal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    And I thought we were trying to work towards one European state.

I do understand the desire to be "free" from Spain though. It's like being shackled to an economic trainwreck.

Catalonia is the biggest trainwreck, Madrid is heaven when you compare them. Guess only Andalucia and Extremadura are in a worst state than Catalonia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    It's the new fad, countries want to break off from the main territory "cuz pro".
    Dude, if you don't know what you're talking about just don't.

As a spaniard and a catalan I just wanna make something clear, the referendum is illegal and that's that. That doesn't mean I agree with this decision, I'd rather have people vote and have a voice than this bullshit our government is pulling.