Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Just like people, some cats are more vocal than others. That said, there is likely a reason your cat is yowling, so you may have to do a little investigating. If he's wanting outside, you may have to wait it out, but if it's boredom or him sensing animals outside, there are probably steps you can take to help solve that problem. The thing about cats is, they don't respond to behaviour modification the way dogs do, because they aren't pack animals and they don't display social hierarchy behaviour patterns, so you likely have to find a way to add to or remove from the cats environment to eliminate the behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    lol anything that deviates from "leave me alone" is traumatic for a cat.
    No, but significant furniture re-arrangement is actually particularly traumatic. Cats instinctively want to find a regular hideout for themselves. Imagine if somebody came and replaced your house with a different one while you were away at work? You wouldn't even know what to feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    No, but significant furniture re-arrangement is actually particularly traumatic. Cats instinctively want to find a regular hideout for themselves. Imagine if somebody came and replaced your house with a different one while you were away at work? You wouldn't even know what to feel.
    omg serious face time in Winnipeg is it?!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuri-tan View Post
    My cat does this when I get home from work and use the bathroom. It's like he thinks I've disappeared forever.
    Sounds about right, he's just shouting "I'm so glad you're back! who would feed me!? I thought I would be alone forever!!!"

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Aight, my mom was a vet for 25+ years. Here's what she said to ask you to figure it out.

1. Is it fixed? (Answered, it is)
    2. How old is the cat? Old cats get dementia, which can cause excessive yowling.
    3. Does it have sufficient food/water at night?
    4. Does it have sufficient entertainment (foraging toys, cat towers, scratching posts, catnip)? Bored cats yowl.
    5. Has there been any stressful changes of its environment recently?
    6. Has it been to a vet recently (illness can cause stress)?
    7. Is the litterbox clean?
    8. Is this your only cat?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Awwww you like the puddy tats?
    #boycottchina

Having a younger 1 year old that is healthy and spayed, most times this just translate into "im fucking bored", or so I have experienced. As soon as I interact with her for awhile, she talks less and starts to play more.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Aight, my mom was a vet for 25+ years. Here's what she said to ask you to figure it out.

1. Is it fixed? (Answered, it is)
    2. How old is the cat? Old cats get dementia, which can cause excessive yowling.
    3. Does it have sufficient food/water at night?
    4. Does it have sufficient entertainment (foraging toys, cat towers, scratching posts, catnip)? Bored cats yowl.
    5. Has there been any stressful changes of its environment recently?
    6. Has it been to a vet recently (illness can cause stress)?
    7. Is the litterbox clean?
    8. Is this your only cat?
    1.) Yes
    2.) About 3 years
    3.) Yes
    4.) it has toys, it just doesn't interact with them.
    5.) none
    6.) yes, he's healthy.
    7.) I clean it every night before I go to sleep.
    8.) Yes

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    1.) Yes
    2.) About 3 years
    3.) Yes
    4.) it has toys, it just doesn't interact with them.
    5.) none
    6.) yes, he's healthy.
    7.) I clean it every night before I go to sleep.
    8.) Yes
    Buy it some different toys, Some cats are picky, buy it all the toys!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Everything checks out as: It's lonely or bored. Or both. Everything else seems fine. Does it sleep in your room? If not, does it try to get in when yowling?

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Buy it some different toys, Some cats are picky, buy it all the toys!
    Particularly foraging toys. If you don't know what they are, look them up. Cats tend to love them more than regular toys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our oldest had a bad habit of doing that for a long time. Generally she was just lonely or whatever and wanted my parents to let her in their room.

Unless you can close him off somewhere so he doesn't wake you, don't really have much in the way of suggestions. If he's doing it outside your door, a spray bottle might help him get the hint after a bit, though our oldest never really cared to get it.

If your door is open and does that in your room... I dunno, maybe keep a packet of catnip nearby and toss him a pinch then go back to sleep?
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-10-01 at 11:41 PM.

One of my cat has been doing this since I got him. I don't know what it means, however it never bothered me.

Would feel it's pretty awesome someone managed to pull a renovation off while I was away.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    My cat tends to be very upset if he's inside and sees cats in the backyard. He'll make some awful noises given how territorial he is even after being fixed. I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as a yowl but it's certainly angry groaning at worst.

My best advice for dealing with cats before bed or raiding or any time you want some peace is give them a good bout of laser pen chasing or similar exercise. Tire them out and they sleep well. They also react well to the attention.

All I have to do is get out the cat carrier. She knows that means car, vet, possibly airplane or train.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.