Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's the best video card I can put in this system?

Looking to upgrade my video card for a few games that are releasing soon. Basically, what's the best card I can put in this system?

Current setup:

i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz (8 CPUs)
    12252 MB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 640 <-- this is what I need to replace.

Let me know if you need any other system specs to make a recommendation. Thanks for your time!

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    If it was pre-built we would need to know what the case is/what manufacturer it is from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

I'll have to open my computer to find it, I'll update later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    If it was pre-built we would need to know what the case is/what manufacturer it is from.
    It is prebuilt. It's Dell XPS 8500 (built in 2012). If I'm looking at the specs correctly, it looks like 460w for the PSU.
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2014-10-01 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    I'll have to open my computer to find it, I'll update later.

- - - Updated - - -

It is prebuilt. It's Dell XPS 8500 (built in 2012). If I'm looking at the specs correctly, it looks like 460w for the PSU.
    We need to know the amperage on the 12v rail. You need to take a picture or give us the model number. We also need to know if your PSU has PCIe 6 and 6+2 connections on it. Really, model number would be best.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    We need to know the amperage on the 12v rail. You need to take a picture or give us the model number. We also need to know if your PSU has PCIe 6 and 6+2 connections on it. Really, model number would be best.
    Okay, let me find it. Will edit it into this post.

EDIT: All I'm seeing is XPS 8500 for model number. I'm a retard with this kind of thing though, so maybe I'm missing something?
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2014-10-01 at 05:23 AM.

Okay, let me find it. Will edit it into this post.

EDIT: All I'm seeing is XPS 8500 for model number. I'm a retard with this kind of thing though, so maybe I'm missing something?
    The model number of the PSU, not the computer. :P

(it should be visible on the PSU's label)
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

The model number of the PSU, not the computer. :P

(it should be visible on the PSU's label)
    Told you, I'm a retard with this kind of stuff. I just want to play games and not tinker with this shit lol.

I guess I have to open up my PC and find out tomorrow.

Or is there any program I could download that would get a full system spec screenshot that I could just post? In any case, thanks for the help so far. I do appreciate it tremendously.

Told you, I'm a retard with this kind of stuff. I just want to play games and not tinker with this shit lol.

Or is there any program I could download that would get a full system spec screenshot that I could just post? In any case, thanks for the help so far. I do appreciate it tremendously.
    Actually yes. What is your service tag? That will tell you what is in it down to the screws.

If I recall correctly those come in 425 and 685 varieties and should have at least one pcie connector. If you have the greater than 400w psu it is safe to split the single pcie connector into two as it has the amperage needed.

As for physical size anything about 10 inches and lower should work fine as they can natively come with a gtx760 or 7870/r9-270x.

The most cost effective things you can put in it are currently gtx750ti 100-150 or gtx760 for 190$ or a gtx970 for 330$. AMD while awesome sadly has not lowered its prices to compete with the new NVIDIA line up.

I would purchase a pcie6 to dual pcie8 splitter when you purchase the card. This is ofcourse assuming you have the higher end psu. If you have the lower end psu you can either swap it out the psu or buy a gtx750ti. support.dell.com has all the documentation for swapping out parts.
    Last edited by Kraszmyl; 2014-10-01 at 05:51 AM.

No problem!

Unfortunately the PSU isn't interfaced with the motherboard in any way aside from power, so you spec programs and the such can't pick up any information from it.

EDIT: This is probably your unit:

It has relatively weak 12v rail power and only has two 6 pin connectors for PCIe, so you're kind of stuck only using low power cards. A 750 Ti would likely be your best choice, and make sure it only has a 6 pin connector. Otherwise, if you want something more powerful you'll need to also replace the PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraszmyl View Post
    Actually yes. What is your service tag? That will tell you what is in it down to the screws.

If I recall correctly those come in 425 and 685 varieties and should have at least one pcie connector. If you have the greater than 400w psu it is safe to split the single pcie connector into two as it has the amperage needed.

As for physical size anything about 10 inches and lower should work fine as they can natively come with a gtx760 or 7870/r9-270x.

The most cost effective things you can put in it are currently gtx750ti 100-150 or gtx760 for 190$ or a gtx970 for 330$. AMD while awesome sadly has not lowered its prices to compete with the new NVIDIA line up.

I would purchase a pcie6 to dual pcie8 splitter when you purchase the card. This is ofcourse assuming you have the higher end psu. If you have the lower end psu you can either swap it out the psu or buy a gtx750ti. support.dell.com has all the documentation for swapping out parts.
    I wouldn't really say that 16a is adequate, especially on an OEM unit that can only push 385w over all rails (likely peak power, not sustained). That's just asking for trouble.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-10-01 at 06:10 AM.

build pics

Thanks Kraszmyl. I used my service tag on the dell site originally, but wasn't sure what I was looking for.

I've done some googling on my XPS 8500 and it appears that the GTX 660 Ti is best I can do w/o a PSU upgrade. Does this sound correct? I don't even understand the terminology to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

No problem!

Unfortunately the PSU isn't interfaced with the motherboard in any way aside from power, so you spec programs and the such can't pick up any information from it.
    Thank you as well for the continued help. I will open it up tomorrow and find the model number on the PSU. (EDIT: Almost 100% sure it's 460w based on my research so far if that helps at all. Thats the stock psu in this model and I didn't change that.)
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2014-10-01 at 06:05 AM.

Thanks Kraszmyl. I used my service tag on the dell site originally, but wasn't sure what I was looking for.

I've done some googling on my XPS 8500 and it appears that the GTX 660 Ti is best I can do w/o a PSU upgrade. Does this sound correct? I don't even understand the terminology to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you as well for the continued help. I will open it up tomorrow and find the model number on the PSU. (EDIT: Almost 100% sure it's 460w based on my research so far if that helps at all. Thats the stock psu in this model and I didn't change that.)
    The 750 Ti is nearly as strong as the 660 Ti and consumes considerably less power. Not to mention it costs less. The 660 Ti would also be pushing your power supply to its absolute breaking point (if it's the one I linked earlier), it likely wouldn't last long. It consumes 150w at stock, 180w~ with the factory OC cards from EVGA and such. Your PCIe 12v rail only supplies 192w in best case scenarios, less over time with capacitor degradation. The 750 Ti only requires around 60w at stock.

build pics

Deleted
    If you are looking for new games coming, especially fps or any gpu heavy then i would not reckon a 750ti. Its an awesome low power consumption card but its not really meant for gaming much. You need to be looking for a gtx760or R9 270X upwards. And that means new psu anyway.

I wouldn't really say that 16a is adequate, especially on an OEM unit that can only push 385w over all rails (likely peak power, not sustained). That's just asking for trouble.
    I said that if he had the high end unit which is a 685. You are showing the 460 and I said he should get a 750ti if that was the case which is unsurisingly what everyone else is also saying.

If I do replace the PSU as well, what would be recommended? I want to get as much life out of this PC as possible, since I just bought it 2 years ago. Next summer, I will most likely be purchasing a new system anyway. But for now... I replace the PSU and video card to eek as much juice out of this as possible, correct? The RAM, processor, and motherboard are ok?

Simply put: assume I replace the PSU and Video Card. What is recommended for either? Money really isn't an issue, but I would also like the best budget option to play current gen games (eg, Witcher 3) as I'm planning a new system next year anyway.
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2014-10-01 at 07:14 AM.

What are you trying to do with it. What games do you play and at what resolutions?

Also if things continue as they have been there is no real reason to replace that system so long as you keep the gpu updated. Example your cpu barely gets more than 5% fps than a first gen i7 using the same gpu and you're pretty much onpar with a fourth gen. Intel has been focusing more on adding features and power draw than actual power.

If all you are doing is wow at 1920x1080 then a gtx750ti will get you to atleast high now and in WoD and that's without swapping the psu as it draws all of its power from the pcie a lot.

If you are playing other games or at a higher resolution and are looking to future proof then the gtx970 is currently youre best option for 330.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money then a 760 should play most things and definitely wow on high for atleast the next year if not longer at 1920x1080 but anything beyond that resolution will stress the card greatly.

I do play WoW on high setting already, but WoW isn't my main concern. I would like to be able to play games like Witcher 3 at a decent setting which I know won't be possible with my current setup.

If this requires updating the PSU AND video card, I'm completely cool with that. Just need to know how to proceed as I'm really stupid about things like this.

Again, money not an issue although I would prefer a more budgeted approach as I plan on buying a new gaming rig in the next year. Just want the best performance for the time being.

EDIT: And yes, 1920x1080 is the resolution I play at. Just double checked.
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2014-10-01 at 07:24 AM.

Witcher is traditionally poorly coded and pretty heavy to run. So I would very much suggest a gtx970 + psu.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...nual_en-us.pdf

This will show you how to replace the power supply.

A standard ATX one should fit. Anything 700 and higher with decent reviews should be acceptable , psu branding is more complex than I really care to get into and even the good brands have bad lines. So like I said just pick something with good reviews and features you are looking for such as lets say silence. But since you will most likely ask for names anyway ive always been fond of Xclio, Antec, Corsair, NZXT, SeaSonic, Silverstone, Thermaltake. A few Raidmax and Rosewill psus are decent if youre trying to do it on the cheap but overall ive had not awful but definitely mixed luck with them

For the gtx970. Evga would be my first choice due to their warranty and step up plan. After that gigabyte and then for a cheaper option Zotac is decent but definitely no frills.

edit : fyi witcher 2 at max settings bogs down my poor gtx680 sli setup even at 1920x1080 and I play most things at 5760x1080 on high or better. The 970 is a good 20-40% faster than a single gtx680 which witcher 2 crushes. However by tweaking a few options it is plenty playable mostly maxed out even with a single card. Thus why I do not advocate a 760 if you are interested in witcher on higher settings.
    Last edited by Kraszmyl; 2014-10-01 at 07:36 AM.

Deleted
    I'd say if you are going for a new rig next years and your current gpu isn't pulling it for you then you need something that you will carry over the next build and last you at least 3 years. As i said above a gtx 750 ti won't cut it, not even close with more gpu heavy games now not even mentioning future wise.

Budget is all that comes down to it.

If i was buying a new gpu and not on a low budget i would jump straight to a gtx970. I would carry me at least 3 years with ultra/high settings in every game. But your are looking at around 400-450 including a psu.The problem is even you buy this, i don't know if you case can fit it, i can't find info on the case about gpu clearance.

If that comes down too much, i would at least get a gtx 760 or 960 (depends when they plan releasing it).

Hah yeah, Witcher 2 runs for me on decent low-ish settings but I can tell it's not optimized. I'm hoping the 3rd one will be better coded.

Thank you so much for your help so far, Kraszmyl and Glo. I will go over this information again in the morning. On my way to bed now. I'm sure I'll have more noob questions. I really do appreciate all the help. You guys rock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    If i was buying a new gpu and not on a low budget i would jump straight to a gtx970. I would carry me at least 3 years with ultra/high settings in every game. But your are looking at around 400-450 including a psu.
    400-450 isn't a problem. Just hoping my current processor can handle the psu and card.
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2014-10-01 at 07:44 AM.