Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Computer's dying. Is it my RAM or my Mobo?

Alright, so.

Couple months back my computer began randomly shutting down while I was playing games, or doing anything super strenuous. A friend told me it could be the RAM, Motherboard, or it was overheating.

He suggested I fiddle with the RAM, so I did so. Removing one RAM made the system function much better. In fact, taking the "good RAM" out and putting the "bad RAM" chip I removed in actually caused the computer to not run at all.

I thought that was the end of it. But now my computer's beginning to shut down again after a month.

Is this because I don't have enough RAM now? Or is it because my Motherboard is corrupting/breaking the RAM I do have in there?

It might actually be a bad Power Supply unit. I had this exact same problem and when I replaced my PSU it went away might be something to look into as PSUs arnt too expensive.

Maybe it's just me, but "He suggested I fiddle with the RAM, so I did so. Removing one RAM made the system function much better. In fact, taking the "good RAM" out and putting the "bad RAM" chip I removed in actually caused the computer to not run at all." makes so sense to me. If the computer runs with the Good Ram, and doesn't with the Bad Ram, then I'm pretty sure the answer is obvious...

Deleted
    I would suggest running Memtest86+ for 24 hours to test your RAM modules (both).
    If by "shutdown" you mean "BSOD" or some sort of Systemcrash, it is probably caused by faulty RAM, if by "shutdown" you mean everything just blacks out and turn off, it is probably as Alison mentioned, the PSU. Do you have an alternate PSU to try?

If it stays on for even a few minutes you can go into the Windows System Logs and see the reasoning behind a shutdown. If you do it right away it would be one of the most recent entries. My dad's computer showed similar symptoms and the logs said shutdowns were due to electrical failure. One swap of the PSU and everything was fixed.

Though also like said above it depends on if you are getting a BSOD or it's just shutting off.

I have 2, 2GB RAM chips in my computer.

I was told to try moving them around and fiddling with them.

So I removed one, hereby referred to as "the BAD one". The computer worked.

Out of curiosity, and to see if that really was the problem, I removed the remaining chip, hereby dubbed "the GOOD one", and replaced it with the BAD one. The computer would not so much as turn on.

If it is the PSU, why would the individual RAM cards fail, or not?

Alison may be right. I have that exact same problem too. Same problem, same diagnosis, same RAM thing where it seemed to help for a minute... the power supply was my best guess too.

My problem was that this was a small business computer that had to get up NOW, so I bought another one. I didn't have time to fiddle with parts for a couple days. If you try the PSU, please come back to this thread and let me know. I still have the old one on the shelf, and for $50 more, I'd probably fix it as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    If it stays on for even a few minutes you can go into the Windows System Logs and see the reasoning behind a shutdown. If you do it right away it would be one of the most recent entries. My dad's computer showed similar symptoms and the logs said shutdowns were due to electrical failure. One swap of the PSU and everything was fixed.

Though also like said above it depends on if you are getting a BSOD or it's just shutting off.
    It's flat shutting off. It's really jarring, too. There's no warning.

To be honest, I originally thought it might be the PSU, simply because once, long ago, I plugged it into a bad outlet at a friend's house and the screws holding it together gained a powerful charge. Someone told me the computer was grounded, so that wasn't an issue.

I do not have an alternate PSU - in fact, I'm relatively CPU-incompetent.

How would I get to the Windows System Logs, and what should I look for therein? Because I'm fairly confident I can replicate it and force it to shut down just by loading up WoW for 5 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    What brand/model is the PSU?

PSU's can cause all kinds of problems.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Found this in the Event Viewer. It's named "Critical" and the source is "Kernel-Power".

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

It SEEMS to be the cause of the shutdowns, given it happens at the same time...

But if it IS the PSU, is the RAM I titled the BAD one really BAD? Or is it just... in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Brand/Model? Dunno. I'll just list everything on it. Maybe I'll get lucky.

NZXT. Performance Power. PF400.

Model Number: MPT 400.

AC Input: 115V ~8A 60Hz 230V ~4.5A 50Hz. (3.3V & 5V Total 210W)

DC Output: +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB

MAX A: 22A 35A 20A .5A .8A 3A
    Last edited by Chipperbane; 2014-10-01 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be a few things, but get the PSU model/brand first.

It could be that the ram was damaged by the bad PSU, or that it has an issue that just makes the ram look bad, and that particular stick has lower tolerances than the other one that is 'good'.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Right RAM is super finicky with Voltages. I recently had a capacitor blow on a mobo and the resulting voltage changes killed three sticks of RAM. I concur with the other suggestions of at least trying a different PSU. One of the best ways to diagnose hardware problems it to try swapping in parts you know work.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It could be a few things, but get the PSU model/brand first.

It could be that the ram was damaged by the bad PSU, or that it has an issue that just makes the ram look bad, and that particular stick has lower tolerances than the other one that is 'good'.
    I think that's the brand. NZXT Performance Power. And the model is MPT 400.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like NZXT's cheapie brand that comes with cases, called "Casing Macron". It's a 400w PSU that has 180w on the 12v line (15amp).

Even if the PSU wasn't bad, I'd replace it regardless. It's a pile of junk, and may well be the source of your issues.

Yeah, it came with the PC about 5 years ago.

If you don't mind assisting me, what should I look for?

Keep in mind I'm dead broke and can only scrounge a limited amount of money.

What would you need to know about my computer to recommend me a power source that's affordable?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It looks like NZXT's cheapie brand that comes with cases, called "Casing Macron". It's a 400w PSU that has 180w on the 12v line (15amp).

Even if the PSU wasn't bad, I'd replace it regardless. It's a pile of junk, and may well be the source of your issues.
    Pretty much this. The one thing I kept reading over and over again is NEVER skimp on a power supply. If you can get your hands on a good PSU do it and see what happens. Brands that tend to be good are Corsair and Antec, but there are others.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy is pretty much the cheapie go-to. Not -amazing- but its a good solid PSU for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438015

What you COULD do is borrow a PSU from a friend for a few hours to test things out, first.

You can go with this one PSU which is a dollar more, but it has higher certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026

And neither of these are too strong or too weak?

I'm nervous about compatibility.

I'm really sorry for all the finnicky-ness. I'm really hardware-illiterate. I'm more a software kinda guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    You can go with this one PSU which is a dollar more, but it has higher certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026
    Do not buy this. Period. The Corsair CX430 has an extremely high failure rate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chipperbane View Post
    And neither of these are too strong or too weak?.
    Theres not technically anything as 'too strong' save for over-paying... And your current PSU qualifies as a 180w, not the 400w it advertises, so really anything has 'more power'