Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Uvwaex View Post
    Note, one of our closest genetic relatives
    Roughly a quarter of cats run around and kill things for no reason other than the thrill of the hunt 9 out of 10 of their kills. I'd call that destructive behavior.
    Many nervous and stressed out mammals will eat their young the first time they produce.
    Deer are normally the first to the scene of a kill in a forest, and they'll eat the carcass until scared off or until they've had their fill.
    It's like a 1 in 5 or 1 in 20 chance that a Preying Mantis female will eat a male that she copulates with.
    Mantis shrimp go around attacking anything with in arms reach.
    Tansmanian devils and wolverines, enough said there.
    Humans aren't special, really. Humans are just like any other animal, just they spend more time with themselves and have spent millennia alienating everything else on the planet to the point that they barely recognize the similarities to their genetic cousins. The only thing that is different between humans and everything else on the planet is that one, humans are intelligent enough to come up with some fairly creative and sadistic methods of hurting other living creatures. The second thing that separates humans from other animals is that many feel remorse or are strongly empathetic towards the pain of others, thus attempting to create social structures to prevent pain.
    Personally I hold animal life on a similar level to human life. Based on the utility that each brings to a particular circumstance thus gives weight to which life is worth more. For example: a seeing eye dog, or the dog of an elderly human that lives alone will always have their life prioritized over a human convict in my eyes. The dog provides a needed service to either currently productive or previously productive humans and thus provides utility to society. Human convict on the other hand has proven to be a detriment to society, and thus has a lower priority for preservation. A rather exaggerated example, but it paints a nice picture to illustrate the concept.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Mine give me the fucking shit-eye and act like they don't hear me. Little fuckers.
    Yeah once after this huge argument with my ex, I was on the couch just being sad, pissed, angry etc. The cat, jumped up and I thought "aaaaw he comes to cuddle and make me feel better", then he walked up to my face and bit my nose . That son of a cat took his side over mine, never felt so betrayed in my life.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    Yeah once after this huge argument with my ex, I was on the couch just being sad, pissed, angry etc. The cat, jumped up and I thought "aaaaw he comes to cuddle and make me feel better", then he walked up to my face and bit my nose . That son of a cat took his side over mine, never felt so betrayed in my life.
    The best is when they finally do comply with the "get the fuck off that table!" command and the string of grumbles and yapping that flows from their mouths.

Cats are dicks.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Ever had a dog?

They definitely can tell right from wrong in a very basic sense, and can "sense" your general emotional state.
    But, they don't know it until you enter the equation, if you weren't there to look pissed off and start shouting, they'd continue to eat that frozen chicken defrosting on the counter. my lab was a cheeky bastard but we know they only do those things because, thats all they really know. although they'll do it over and over when your not looking.

I actually read a news article yesterday that was saying animal populations have basically halved in the last 40 years.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-10-01 at 09:32 PM.

I tend to find animals more valuable than humans, especially when there are 7 billion humans and only 3000 or less of said animal species. I would sooner sacrifice an adult human to protect that species. It disgusts me to see animal hunts when an individual animal has harmed a person and therefore people decide they must wipe out as many of that species as possible. Was a case in Australia a few weeks ago where one person died swimming in shark infested waters and the PM wanted to cull the sharks -.- a lot of which are needed for the eco systems to thrive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29170035
    Last edited by Miyani; 2014-10-01 at 09:35 PM.

Everyone has their own values. Personally, I value the life of an old veteran's golden retriever more than the life of a serial killer. I also value the life of a random 5-year-old I've never met more than the life of an ant.

Individuals will always draw their own lines.

Kittens, everyone likes kittens. They are the ambassadors of the animal kingdom.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I used to think as animals as being animals. It was not until I got older that I was wrong and a few biology classes later.

I noticed that a lot of animals are way better off than humans. Sure they can not make a car or read a book but they do not need to. They are 100% perfect for the environment they live in, and they depend on humans to not destroy it. I came to this conclusion after looking at squirrels and birds outside my window. A squirrels diet consists of nuts, berries, mushrooms and maybe a few other things. They absolutely have it made more so than a human. Just think about it for a second. They never have to grow their own food, it simply falls from the sky (trees) and they pick it up and eat it. In most cases there are so many acorns they do not even have to try to find food. They just roll out of their squirrelly nest, look at the sunrise, climb down, eat a few nuts and climb back up for more sleep. They sometimes play but most of the time they are relaxing with no care in the world. No bills, no one to take to school, they are not getting brainwashed by the media. They live perfect lives in most cases and this is why I feel many animals are way more advanced than humans, we just do not understand it but they actually are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I once had a Pro-Fetus (I won't say Pro-Life because this chap was also Anti-Welfare) describe that some animals kill their own young and that my Pro-Choice beliefs made me less human and that I needed to be better than animals.

My response was: "I love my dog. I hate people. Every abortion means there's one less chance of another idiot like you in the world"

I guess my Puggle is indeed more valuable than some Humans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyani View Post
    I tend to find animals more valuable than humans, especially when there are 7 billion humans and only 3000 or less of said animal species. I would sooner sacrifice an adult human to protect that species. It disgusts me to see animal hunts when an individual animal has harmed a person and therefore people decide they must wipe out as many of that species as possible. Was a case in Australia a few weeks ago where one person died swimming in shark infested waters and the PM wanted to cull the sharks -.- a lot of which are needed for the eco systems to thrive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29170035
    Then you're a prime example of someone I'd find, 100% in my opinion here, as being slightly sociopathic OR full of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    But, they don't know it until you enter the equation, if you weren't there to look pissed off and start shouting, they'd continue to eat that frozen chicken defrosting on the counter. my lab was a cheeky bastard but we know they only do those things because, thats all they really know. although they'll do it over and over when your not looking.

I actually read a news article yesterday that was saying animal populations have basically halved in the last 40 years.
    Damn Bob Barker.

I like animals, and love my pets. I find animal cruelty to be incredibly inhumane, and think that animal abusers are often not sufficiently punished for their cruelty. I do not disregard animal life, and am a supporter of several local wildlife preserves (seeing as I hike around them all the time). But I draw a distinct line between animal and human life, and 99% of the time I'd gladly choose the lowliest human over an animal.

When I see the argument crop up that animal lives are equatable to human life I honestly can't tell if people are being disingenuous, or have some serious social problems.

From PETA to the charlatans who filmed Blackfish (look up some of the controversy with that film) I can't get over the feeling that this is one of the most hyperbolic political stances. Animal life is decreed as this mystical, or indeed sacred, thing different than the base and corrupt humans who lord over them.

What is it that drives someone to become so disconnected that they treat animals not as fellow creatures, but as fellow humans?
    Who are you to say that people who love their pets like family are "disconnected" or have "some serious social problems"? I'm married, have a child, and plenty of friends who like me, view their pets as family. It sounds to me like you are looking to justify your own social problems by putting down others who can manage to be both social and decent human beings at the same time.

And please, don't lump PETA with those of us who actually care about animals. PETA and groups like them are more harmful to the well-being of animals than some convicted animal abusers out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylarian View Post
    I used to think as animals as being animals. It was not until I got older that I was wrong and a few biology classes later.

I noticed that a lot of animals are way better off than humans. Sure they can not make a car or read a book but they do not need to. They are 100% perfect for the environment they live in, and they depend on humans to not destroy it. I came to this conclusion after looking at squirrels and birds outside my window. A squirrels diet consists of nuts, berries, mushrooms and maybe a few other things. They absolutely have it made more so than a human. Just think about it for a second. They never have to grow their own food, it simply falls from the sky (trees) and they pick it up and eat it. In most cases there are so many acorns they do not even have to try to find food. They just roll out of their squirrelly nest, look at the sunrise, climb down, eat a few nuts and climb back up for more sleep. They sometimes play but most of the time they are relaxing with no care in the world. No bills, no one to take to school, they are not getting brainwashed by the media. They live perfect lives in most cases and this is why I feel many animals are way more advanced than humans, we just do not understand it but they actually are.
    So because animals depend entirely on external factors outside their control to survive, they're better?

Makes 0 sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyani View Post
    I would sooner sacrifice an adult human to protect that species.
    this is kind of an odd thing to say without qualifying what that person is doing at the time...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    Who are you to say that people who love their pets like family are "disconnected" or have "some serious social problems"? I'm married, have a child, and plenty of friends who like me, view their pets as family. It sounds to me like you are looking to justify your own social problems by putting down others who can manage to be both social and decent human beings at the same time.

And please, don't lump PETA with those of us who actually care about animals. PETA and groups like them are more harmful to the well-being of animals than some convicted animal abusers out there.
    Did you see PETA and think I equated them with animal lovers? I literally stated they were hyperbolic. In another post I stated they were detrimental to people in middle, or normal animal lovers, ground.

Also nice personal attack, could have veiled it better. Next time just read all my posts before going after me

But I draw a distinct line between animal and human life, and 99% of the time I'd gladly choose the lowliest human over an animal.
    And then that lowliest human stabs you in the back and goes off to kill 10 children, nice job. But hey humans > all, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    This is my priority: My human family members > pet family members > friends > animals = strangers

15+ Year Old Account
    I draw a distinct line between animal and human life, and 99% of the time I'd gladly choose the lowliest human over an animal.
    You are one of the good ones. Some animal lovers act like they'd burn 100 people at the stake to save the life of 1 random dog. I'm basically the opposite. I'd rather kill 100 wombats or whatever to save one random person, unless, of course, that person is literally Hitler-level terrible.

All I can assume is that those people have had a really shitty life. They were probably abused in some way from a young age, but they had a cat or a dog that loved them when no one else did...so in the end they got the idea that animals are kind and loving while people are abusive and cruel. This is also where I think the really hardcore furries come from...you know, the people who are like "I'd rather be an animal", because their opinion of people in general is so incredibly low. I feel bad for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    This is my priority: My human family members > pet family members > friends > animals = strangers
    I'd love to see how your friends would react to this information LOL.
    Last edited by Lemons; 2014-10-01 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Standing outside the restaurant, looking at you eating through the glass.
    pretty much...

what if the person is just like sitting on a lawn chair watching some white rhinos or something and there happened to be a poacher nearby, but you couldn't act in time to intercept the poacher. So your plan is to, kill the lawn chair dude to create a distraction for the rhinos to leave!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    And then that lowliest human stabs you in the back and goes off to kill 10 children, nice job. But hey humans > all, right?
    Do Swedes not like me on this forum? :P

100%-99%=1%. Amazingly you can fit a case into 1% of n cases :0