Where did my fish go?

I was watching something somewhere (very informative, I know) and it was said that around 70-80% of the fish in the ocean are gone. The jellyfish population has risen too, making the ocean more acidic and bad(?).
    Is this true. Ever since hearing that I have not had fish and I don't want to. It's a shame too, I love tilapia.

They left before the Vogons arrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

ooooh fishy fishy fishy fish?!

and it went, wherever I, did gooooo
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I think tilapia are fresh water fish. They use them in fish farms a lot.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    I think tilapia are fresh water fish. They use them in fish farms a lot.
    Well my day has been made in a minor way. I still feel for the lack of other fish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    They left before the Vogons arrive.
    doing a double-backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the "Star Spangled Banner" I hope.

No true estimates on population loss, but with increasing ocean temps from climate change and sea level rising, coral reefs die off since they do not have proper access to light levels needed. The hotter the sea gets the more carbon dioxide is released which causes algal blooms and explosions in jellyfish populations. The seas are becoming more acidic and this causes corals, starfish, mollusks and crustaceans(calcium based exoskeletons) to die off, in some causes due to literally being dissolved (look up coral bleaching). With reefs dead the whole population that needs them for survival die off along with anything larger that requires the fish to feed on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zoidberg ate them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyani View Post
    No true estimates on population loss, but with increasing ocean temps from climate change and sea level rising, coral reefs die off since they do not have proper access to light levels needed. The hotter the sea gets the more carbon dioxide is released which causes algal blooms and explosions in jellyfish populations. The seas are becoming more acidic and this causes corals, starfish, mollusks and crustaceans(calcium based exoskeletons) to die off, in some causes due to literally being dissolved (look up coral bleaching). With reefs dead the whole population that needs them for survival die off along with anything larger that requires the fish to feed on.
    So it's not straight up overfishing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    So it's not straight up overfishing
    It is, however, straight up humans' fault, any way you look at it. Overfishing, pollution, warmer sea temperatures. All our fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It is, however, straight up humans' fault, any way you look at it. Overfishing, pollution, warmer sea temperatures. All our fault.
    My scheme to not eat fish is only a band-aid then...
    I guess I have to mind control the world into not hurting da earf

80% of all fish? No, that's impossible considering that an absolutely massive portion of them (deep sea) aren't fished, aren't able to be monitored and most of all, we have no clue what the fuck goes on down there. Not to mention that something like 95% of life down there is unknown/undocumented to any significant extent.

That said, even an 80% decline in upper sea level fish sounds completely unreasonable, that kind of loss would have lead to extinction for most types of fish already. 80% drop on certain species? Now that's plausible.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics