Deleted

Rift expansion delayed

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...-oct-22-a.html

Kinda annoying, especially when i took time off work, and the past 2 months ive only logged in to get my daily/weekly patron gifts

Damn, 2 week delay and on a short notice. I was really looking forward to it next week : /

Oh well, I guess it gives me a bit of time with the STO expansion without any competition.

The build on the PTS felt a little unfinished so I am not super surprised.

Awww man, the Rift xpac was gonna be a WoW killer too!

Please post productively. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2014-10-03 at 02:37 AM.
    *Insert pretentious quote here*
    I'm like, such an intellectual or whatever

They pretty broadly hinted at a delay in the livestream earlier this week, so I'm not surprised, and I'm glad they announced it now rather than waiting until 2 days before launch day like some other developers I won't mention. Also 20 points to Gryffindor for waiting until it's right rather than launch-and-be-d***ed.

If you're fully 3.0-ready and champing at the bit for release, the best thing you can do is copy that main to the PTS and help them close out issues. I sure am.

Still experimenting...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite frankly, it's not enough time - it needs to be 3 months, not two weeks. I really don't understand the rush.

Archeage is currently putting a huge drain on their customer support team.

The PTS is a mess - major optimization issues (yes, far, FAR worse than before) - without people in some areas, it dips to obscenely low FPS levels, drops to 10~15 fps (without recording) - I think the zones are too big.

I've done a lot of alpha/beta testing, but this game is in a really bad state. It's only in alpha at the moment, imo.

I don't do "rant" videos or "sensationalism" type videos any more, but...

Seatin on YouTube seems to have really strong feelings about it too -
    I can see where he's coming from.

WARNING! STRONG LANGUAGE

Last edited by theWocky; 2014-10-03 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you played since the latest 1.7GB update pushed Wednesday/Thursday? a huge difference and Draumheim is now a 100 times improved, they came close and "probably" could have released on the 8th but two weeks more should sort out a heck of a lot more.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Glad I didn't decide to drop $150 and take time off work to play it or I would be pissed. It's probably better that they delay if it wasn't finished, but it's going to make a lot of people mad. Can't win either way, so you may as well have a quality game.
    BAD WOLF

It's pretty good though. The new zones are really clever in places and there is a unifying story between them all. The plot isn't quite as compelling or ambitious as the war against Crucia but certainly more pronounced than vanilla Rift.

My biggest critique is that in the process of leveling a lot of the questing is very same-y feeling. Which has always been a problem in Rift's quest objectives. By contrast, I think the leveling scheme and object orientation of other MMOs is a lot more compelling.

In particular, The Secret World and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Where I felt the through line, plotting and story direction was unimaginably compelling where gameplay was vis-a-vis weaker than Rift's.

The Secret World hits a lot of pleasure buttons for me in setting and theme. So I am willing to say TSW had a bit of an easy pitch at me. However, I have no strong affinity for Star Wars (I dislike the films) or any previous lore knowledge; yet found TOR to be the most compelling MMO storytelling I have played through.

I think Trion are getting better at building their game world's lore. Though it still lacks the production (TOR) and writing (TSW) punch of some other games.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-10-03 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's pretty good though. The new zones are really clever in places and there is a unifying story between them all. The plot isn't quite as compelling or ambitious as the war against Crucia but certainly more pronounced than vanilla Rift.

My biggest critique is that in the process of leveling a lot of the questing is very same-y feeling. Which has always been a problem in Rift's quest objectives. By contrast, I think the leveling scheme and object orientation of other MMOs is a lot more compelling.

In particular, The Secret World and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Where I felt the through line, plotting and story direction was unimaginably compelling where gameplay was vis-a-vis weaker than Rift's.

The Secret World hits a lot of pleasure buttons for me in setting and theme. So I am willing to say TSW had a bit of an easy pitch at me. However, I have no strong affinity for Star Wars (I dislike the films) or any previous lore knowledge; yet found TOR to be the most compelling MMO storytelling I have played through.

I think Trion are getting better at building their game world's lore. Though it still lacks the production (TOR) and writing (TSW) punch of some other games.
    I feel like NT questing is the best they have done so far. There is alot more being done with phasing to give the questing a more immersive feel. I think GR was on par with Storm Legion, and Draumheim was by far and away the best questing experience we have had in Rift. While Tarken Glacier is thus far a bit disappointing (not done with it yet though).

But with Draumheim there was very little "filler" story quests. Almost all of it was unique and pretty awesome stuff. To illustrate that. (Warning: Spoilers in the below video for the end of the Draumheim quest chain).

Draumheim Ending Quest

10+ Year Old Account
    Highly disappointed, way too close to release to delay it -.-

Deleted
    meh i swapped my wednesday off for this monday, so i now have a 3 day weekend off work much win

With all the problem Archeage is having this does not surprise me. I would not be surprised if parts of the Rift team have been moved to the AA team, slowing them down.

Not surprised. The rush is due to Warlords of Draenor but I do not see that stopping the bleed because it will take a month or two before the reality sets in that the next content update is 9+ months away. Not exactly some major thing to worry or care about.

Seatin is pointing out the obvious fact that most of the playerbase has not even come close to finishing current content. He did a great overview. Should send a signal to Trion to not only invite fanbois into your Alpha who only give a shit about getting a leg up in raids vs actually testing the rest of the expansion.