Deleted

Regularly going out of Mana

I have started to take resto healing seriously (I have played a resto druid since WOTLK but never actually stepped out of dungeons). I decided LFR may be a good place to start.

I have been in a few LFRs so far (I don't know how many exactly) and about 90% of the time I am one of the top two healers in a fight (unless I stupidly die) which is fantastic...I guess. However I have a problem. I am regularly going of mana about halfway through.

I try to pop Innervate and my trinket (which boosts spirit) whenever on cooldown. I even pop a potion of focus from time to time, but I still go out of mana.

What can I do to combat this?

Here is a link to my profile:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Swingo/simple

(I know I have yet to reach the haste cap...working on it)

Your spirit seems low to me, I always ran higher on my druid. It looks like about half your gear doesn't have spirit, which is going to hurt.

Watch your procs. You'll get a free healing touch fairly often from your two-piece, and there's also free healing from Omen of Clarity procs. I'd also swap out one of your minor glyphs for Sprouting Mushroom. Your wild mushroom is crazy healing if your group is stacked, and being able to place it wherever you want will mean less mana used on other heals. Even in an unorganized LFR group you can usually ping most of your melee with a mushroom. Don't be afraid to use Bloom for burst healing either, it's damn fantastic and you only go like one GCD of not having a mushroom down with that glyph. It sounds like you're already using your trinkets/Innervate properly.

Also, make sure you are taking advantage of your mastery. Personally I made a WeakAura to make sure I have 100% uptime on Harmony, and I typically use those procs above to get me there. 21% extra healing from your HoTs (in your current gear configuration) is nothing to sneeze at. Also, if you can't make the next haste cap for an extra tick it's probably worth your time to re-forge to Mastery until you have gear that can get you there. Haste between the caps isn't a high priority. Until you can make the next cap over, reforge anything you have above the previous cap into mastery.

Missing the legendaries is going to hurt you too, but it's so late at this point that I won't bother suggesting them.

Until you get more spirit the only other thing I can suggest is heal less. I've never been an advocate of rolling rejuvs just for the sake of rolling them. Keep a couple on your tanks, drop them on people who are taking damage, or pre-drop some if a spike of damage is going to come in. Otherwise don't waste them on people with full health "just incase."

As you get more resto-specific gear your healing issues will mostly go away on its own.
    Last edited by Xar226; 2014-10-03 at 01:16 AM.

Deleted
    Step 1: Read a basic resto druid guide
    Step 2: Hope for less shit groups (lawl).
    If step 1 didn't make regem/reforge, then you may just be part of the problem in step 2.

Post a healing meter if you want actual help. Skada healing sources is enough for a first assessment.
    My money's on regrowth/rejuv spam and sick overhealing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    Step 1: Read a basic resto druid guide
    Step 2: Hope for less shit groups (lawl).
    If step 1 didn't make regem/reforge, then you may just be part of the problem in step 2.

Post a healing meter if you want actual help. Skada healing sources is enough for a first assessment.
    My money's on regrowth/rejuv spam and sick overhealing.
    Sadly I do not have a log to hand at the moment.

I probably am guilty of rejuv overhealing though (not regrowth) although to be fair I am often 3rd or 4th on the overhealing charts...so it can't be too high. Problem is I don't trust people all that much! I see people dying around me and a heal not being tossed their way and I have an inclination to heal because other people don't. Problem a huge failing right there!

I have read a couple of resto druid guides. As I said; I have been healing since WOTLK. Touched upon a couple of raids but nothing major. I think I have the basics of the class down. I have reforged a little but i guess I was aiming too much at haste and not enough aiming for spirit...that could be my problem.

Thankfully I read up on the tactics for every fight before I enter LFR so I am hoping I am not too much of an issue when it comes to 'bad' groups (pretty good at getting a grasp on tactics and basically avoiding damage and death).

I may be overstating the mana issue a tiny bit. I do not get to the point where it flicks up 'out of mana' but I do come close. I therefore have to stop healing for a while and wait for it to climb....but as I said; I am one of those people that absolutely must throw a heal out there if I see nobody getting one, and that dents the mana regen a little.

(I have HoT uptime of about 99% on all fights. I constantly have a rejuv and lifebloom up on one tank, and a rejuv on the other. I suppose the drop off is related to when I go out of range of the tank. That may contribute to mana issues somewhat as I need to stack up 3 lifeblooms again).

I have an almost constant uptime of mastery (swiftmend on cooldown or if healing touch procs for free)
    Last edited by mmocc5313fed8e; 2014-10-03 at 01:24 AM.

I quickly looked over your character and i noticed that you're sitting at an awkward HBP.
    It's pretty commonly accepted that the only two HBPs you should aim for are 3039 (or arguably 3049 since its so close and you get another tick of tranq) or
    13163 haste rating, as they give you additional ticks of rejuv. Anything in between is pretty much a waste of haste, where stats could be more useful spent differently.
    i.e: get reforged into the spirit that you're lacking and/or super op mastery to boost ALL you heals.
    It's either an all or nothing when you venture for that major 13163, and the only difference between them essentially is how fluid they heal. imo a 3093haste/mastery build is a tad more "clunky" and the 13163 is smoother in HoTs ticking. Theres some debate between gemming straight haste to reach those points, but unless memory fails me, you still won't be able to hit 13163 with anything less than "BiS" haste gear from Reg SoO. so best to stick with low haste, high mastery & spirit.

I agree with Xar's idea of mushroom minor glyph. just toss it down and forget about it essentially. ezpz free healing. also, get rid of that Blooming glyph. there are scarcely times in SoO where letting that drop is appropriate and the CGDs it takes to rebuild a full LB are time spent you could be rejuving other things. since you're getting into LFR more, i'd recommend the WG glyph. it also puts it into line with SM & potentially SotF.

As for talents, if you're gonna stick with treants just make sure you always have at least ONE active otherwise its a waste of possible free healing. since they're off the GCD, it shouldn't be hard to have that going for ya. Other than that, you might try switching to SotF for more bursty healing. A strong mastery build with a SotF'd WG is pretty op in LFR when other healers get derptacular.

AAAAAND yeah. see how that does ya!

TL;DR 3093 haste then reforge into mastery/spirit, WG glyph over blooming, mushroom minor glyph.

Less than 10k spirit means you can't spam and should have mana efficiency as first priority. Keep your Efflorescence in a good spot, it heals for 3 constant rejuvenations. Keep Lifebloom up and cast glyphed Wild Growth with SotF every 15th sec. Regrowths on clearcasting procs and the only other things you should be doing is put up a few some rejuvenations now and then and use Nature's Swifness when someone is about to die.

Soul of the Forest is stronger with mastery than it is with haste, stick to 3043 haste atleast until you can reach 13163 without losing socket bonuses. Treants are utter crap until 6.0. Nature's Vigil is the strongest T6 healing talent - use it on cooldown unless it's quiet.

If you want to figure out more yourself - log to a site like warcraftlogs and do the math on how much healing you get from the different abilities per mana and GCD.
    Last edited by Hildrande; 2014-10-03 at 12:30 PM.

Deleted
    To add to what I wrote yesterday (btw didn't mean to sound as aggressive, kinda let my bad mood out on the forums):

- LFR is really dodgy to judge performance. You can end up with two good disc priests that make the other 4 healers useless, or you can get 5 healers that end up below locks and hunters on the meters.
    - As mentioned above the 3k haste breakpoint is what you're aiming for right now. Int > all, spirit until you're comfortable, 3k haste BP, rest into mastery, crit only as much as you can't avoid. (I'm at 100 because of the shoulder enchant obviously. Then again all I cared about was itemization for challenge modes so my itemlevels are all over the place.)
    - Your spirit should be fine. I'm sitting at 8500, top #1 or #2 on the (LFR huehuehue) meters and go almost oom towards the end of the fights. (Btw: in a perfect world you would end every boss fight with 0 mana left, without ever having to take breaks due to regen issues. Every bit of mana left is a resource unused. You're saying you are not going oom, but taking regen break. That is almost the same, you are not healing due to regen issues.)
    - glove enchant, pvp only gems
    - FoN is fun, but for now the other two talents are prolly better for raid healing
    - bloom the mushrooms. What this does is give the rejuv overhealing a second chance to become effective healing. You spent the mana on it, its overhealing was collected and can now be used again. This is especially cool if you tend to overspam rejuv; you are charging it faster than other druids would, so make use of the mana that you already spent.

Btw, if you have a bit of extra time on your hands, you should try the Proving Grounds. It's INCREDIBLE as a crash course to getting serious on a healing class. It will highlight every awkward keybind, it will highlight all your UI shortcomings, it will teach you which spells are efficient/fast/strong on an intuitive level. You can spare yourself lots of reading and theorycrafting if you just go in and do it. If you hit a wall, you can then try to figure that problem out specifically. It's not the same as raiding with players yadda yadda, but it will show you a lot of little things that you can easily improve, plus it feels good to be rewarded quickly for those little improvements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otterfluff View Post
    I quickly looked over your character and i noticed that you're sitting at an awkward HBP.
    It's pretty commonly accepted that the only two HBPs you should aim for are 3039 (or arguably 3049 since its so close and you get another tick of tranq) or
    13163 haste rating, as they give you additional ticks of rejuv. Anything in between is pretty much a waste of haste, where stats could be more useful spent differently.
    i.e: get reforged into the spirit that you're lacking and/or super op mastery to boost ALL you heals.
    It's either an all or nothing when you venture for that major 13163, and the only difference between them essentially is how fluid they heal. imo a 3093haste/mastery build is a tad more "clunky" and the 13163 is smoother in HoTs ticking. Theres some debate between gemming straight haste to reach those points, but unless memory fails me, you still won't be able to hit 13163 with anything less than "BiS" haste gear from Reg SoO. so best to stick with low haste, high mastery & spirit.

I agree with Xar's idea of mushroom minor glyph. just toss it down and forget about it essentially. ezpz free healing. also, get rid of that Blooming glyph. there are scarcely times in SoO where letting that drop is appropriate and the CGDs it takes to rebuild a full LB are time spent you could be rejuving other things. since you're getting into LFR more, i'd recommend the WG glyph. it also puts it into line with SM & potentially SotF.

As for talents, if you're gonna stick with treants just make sure you always have at least ONE active otherwise its a waste of possible free healing. since they're off the GCD, it shouldn't be hard to have that going for ya. Other than that, you might try switching to SotF for more bursty healing. A strong mastery build with a SotF'd WG is pretty op in LFR when other healers get derptacular.

AAAAAND yeah. see how that does ya!

TL;DR 3093 haste then reforge into mastery/spirit, WG glyph over blooming, mushroom minor glyph.
    If you have to break socket bonus to get it with straight haste gems, it's not worth it.

Also if you have a good amount of Haste Items you can swap to the 13200 HBP around 560+ ish ilv
    I think i did my swap to that HBP around 565 ilv but i just wanted to make sure i could do it without losing too much spirit and mastery first.
    Last edited by Littlepinch; 2014-10-03 at 03:25 PM.

Deleted
    Int > haste till 3043 or 13161 > spi till comfortable > mastery > crit > haste outside of breakpoints.

If you don't feel comfortable with your mana, you can reforge/regem some of your excess haste into spirit for now. Or you can try to adjust your playstyle to be a bit more conservative. I'm a bit more spammy than your average druid so I run 14k-ish spirit and it seems to suit me fine, but that's at ilvl 585.

Try to aim for some trinket upgrades. Sha and Siegecrafter trinkets are particularly good for mana-starved druids.

The jump to 13163 shouldn't be attempted yet. Personally I did it during normal SoO progression, around ilvl 545-550, but it was pretty tight and I only barely didn't have to break socketbonuses. It was worth it though, so take a look at it when you get around that ilvl with mostly haste items and the Sha trinket.
    Last edited by mmoc0b02ba1114; 2014-10-05 at 09:08 AM.