Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Russian Teen Exchange Student Wants to Defect to US

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/wo...ylum.html?_r=2

Okay, this is the best line from the article:

"According to reports in the Russian media, the boy, 16, was living with an American family in Michigan when he met a gay couple, both military veterans, at church."

Apparently they are helping him apply for asylum.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Russia officials accused the United States of endangering the welfare of a child
    Well said. I mean, how can you beat a kid until he's straight if he doesn't return to Russia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Well said. I mean, how can you beat a kid until he's straight if he doesn't return to Russia?
    Yeah, I think Putin might have to invade the US to "rescue" the child.

He'll get it - just not because of altruism on the US part.

I'm willing to bet that the US is going to give this kid asylum just so they can spite Russia for Snowden. And then some.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Seems like a successful tactic to stop the brain drain from Russia and paint USA as the villain from the perspective of Russian culture. Im not sure if they even needed a scapegoat, Russian media can just make shit up(as witnessed about Ukraine) and people will be all over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Seems like a successful tactic to stop the brain drain from Russia and paint USA as the villain from the perspective of Russian culture. Im not sure if they even needed a scapegoat, Russian media can just make shit up(as witnessed about Ukraine) and people will be all over it.
    I'm not exactly sure why we want to attract the sort of people who think it's ok to oppress minorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm not exactly sure why we want to attract the sort of people who think it's ok to oppress minorities.
    can care less about their moral convictions and more about the "brains" part - when you get to the level needed for new inventions and technology there is only a few in the whole world that can achieve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do we know the couple he met at church don't want to groom him into a sex slave?

" when the bereft mother flew to the United States to plead with her son to return home, she was forced to hold the meeting in the presence of his two lawyers who were “also of nontraditional sexual orientation.”"

They lawyered him up, why did they have to be two gay lawyers?

/sarcasm
    You're a towel.

That's reaching. Not every Russian feels about this the same way, much less has the will to act upon said beliefs. Those people are also sampled from a very large size of students and i really doubt that the majority of those chosen hold many negative views about it. These students are supposed to be some of the best. I also doubt that they are stupid enough to run their mouth about homosexuality in USA at the top universities, even if they would feel negative towards it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    That's reaching. Not every Russian feels about this the same way, much less has the will to act upon said beliefs. Those people are also sampled from a very large size of students and i really doubt that the majority of those chosen hold many negative views about it. These students are supposed to be some of the best. I also doubt that they are stupid enough to run their mouth about homosexuality in USA at the top universities, even if they would feel negative towards it.
    #noteveryrussian

Again, it's not an excuse to deny asylum to people that ask for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

#noteveryrussian

Again, it's not an excuse to deny asylum to people that ask for it.
    Im not sure i follow... What is it that you're discussing here?

The fact that Americans are willing to ignore international agreements and essentially allow kidnapping of underage kid by illegally putting him up for adoption while he has actual family in other country (even if he himself agrees he is still underage in both Russian and American legal systems) just to strike points against Russia is certainly not going to win them any sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    The fact that Americans are willing to ignore international agreements and essentially allow kidnapping of underage kid by illegally putting him up for adoption while he has actual family in other country (even if he himself agrees he is still underage in both Russian and American legal systems) just to strike points against Russia is certainly not going to win them any sympathy.
    How about a trade then? Snowden for the russian teen.

Quote Originally Posted by boomgoesthedynamite View Post
    How about a trade then? Snowden for the russian teen.
    All US had to do to get Snowden is to not revoke his passport... especially considering that they could bring down even president planes on suspicion of having him, nevermind normal flights he was actually planning to use.

But then if US special agencies were actually competent they would prevent his whistleblowing effort before it happened in the first place...

"Since 1994, United States immigration law has recognized persecution on account of sexual orientation as a basis for asylum. Transgender individuals and HIV-positive individuals have also won asylum cases. Moreover, some people who have engaged in LGBT or HIV rights activism in their home country and fear persecution on that basis may be eligible to apply for asylum under a “political opinion” category."

Maybe russia should focus on the fact that their children fear for their safety.

All US had to do to get Snowden is to not revoke his passport... especially considering that they could bring down even president planes on suspicion of having him, nevermind normal flights he was actually planning to use.

But then if US special agencies were actually competent they would prevent his whistleblowing effort before it happened in the first place...
    Well if you'd rather not give snowden up, that's fine. We'll just keep the Russian teen wanting asylum in our country in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    "Since 1994, United States immigration law has recognized persecution on account of sexual orientation as a basis for asylum. Transgender individuals and HIV-positive individuals have also won asylum cases. Moreover, some people who have engaged in LGBT or HIV rights activism in their home country and fear persecution on that basis may be eligible to apply for asylum under a “political opinion” category."

Maybe russia should focus on the fact that their children fear for their safety.
    But only after prolonged interaction with homosexual couple?

...certainly nothing stopped him from applying for asylum before that if he actually felt threatened.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boomgoesthedynamite View Post
    Well if you'd rather not give snowden up, that's fine. We'll just keep the Russian teen wanting asylum in our country in the meantime.
    Why, just sign extradition treaty with Russia and you'll have him in a heartbeat! :P
    ...while we'll get many criminals hiding in US and protected by US government from international arrests.

But only after prolonged interaction with homosexual couple?

...certainly nothing stopped him from applying for asylum before that if he actually felt threatened.
    It's unlikely he would know his rights. And without a support network it would be an extremely difficult decision.

or maybe they've brainwashed him and plan on turning him into a gay sexslave?!?! /russianmedia
    Last edited by Olo; 2014-10-05 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    can care less about their moral convictions and more about the "brains" part - when you get to the level needed for new inventions and technology there is only a few in the whole world that can achieve it.
    Exactly. Who cares about morals.

Without Von Braun the American rockets would have sucked who cares that he was a nazi responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands slave prisoners and civilian targets of his rockets.

Or when Russia wanted the USA to hand them over the Japanese butchers from the unit 471 to be trailed and executed. The USA kept them alive to use their finds for biological weapons.

These things are simply necessary.

Way to ignore the situation in its entirety. Kidnapped? That's really funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vhoss View Post
    Yeah, I think Putin might have to invade the US to "rescue" the child.
    Gotta protect thos ethnic Russians dude.

I am sure some troops are getting a vacation itinerary from their travel agent as we speak.